SOLVED Notification and Internet access

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hello Everybody,

After i use my FreeNAS Server to storage all my personal files I have a question about the usage of notifications and internet access.
First, When connecting my server to the Wifi Router, is it online ? (better said is it accessible from outside my network ?)
It's not that i want to use it from on the way, more that i don't like
it to become visible from somebody else.

I also often hear that i can set an email to send me notifications if a HDD fails or something else.
This feature has to need internet acces, hasn't it ?

SO my question is, considering the replies to this thread, is it possible to make my Server only accessible from my network (so not connected to the internet) but still be able to get notification via email if a HDD fails ?

kdragon75

Wizard
Tell us about your internet provider and your router.

In most cases your router uses something called NAT (technically it's PAT but whatever) that allows you internal (devices connected to the router or a switch connected to your router) devices to connect to the internet and share one "internet" IP. This inherently blocks outside connections form coming in unless you tell your router how to handle and where to send an incoming connection. This is why if you check you IP on your computer using ipconfig, your neighbor cant ping or connect to your computer.

The short answer is most likely yes, you can connect your NAS to your router and let it be "online" but not reachable by the outside unless you specifically configure your router to allow it.

I strongly recommend doing some reading on how IP addressing and routing work https://whatismyipaddress.com/nat

kdragon75

Wizard
With that, your Fritzbox! will be performing NAT and acting as a basic firewall. The internet will not "see" your NAS.

Darklion

Explorer
I just found this tread and this guy is asking the contrary of what I want. I do want to be able to acces my server remotely on a web browser on another computer outside my network and anywhere on the world, but every time I search remote accesing freenas I get totorials on setting SSH but end up being local conections.

can someone give me a link to an actual information on how to remote access it using the same GUI but from outside my netwrok, thanks.

kdragon75

Wizard
I just found this tread and this guy is asking the contrary of what I want. I do want to be able to acces my server remotely on a web browser on another computer outside my network and anywhere on the world, but every time I search remote accesing freenas I get totorials on setting SSH but end up being local conections.

can someone give me a link to an actual information on how to remote access it using the same GUI but from outside my netwrok, thanks.
If you want to remotely access the FreeNAS UI from the internet, the only safe way is over VPN. If you want remote web access to your files, you want Nextcloud and port-forwarding. DO NOT USE PORT FORWARDING FOR THE FREENAS UI, YOU WILL BE HACKED.

Darklion

Explorer
I already use plex and NextCloud, I just want to see if there is a way to access the regular GUI that I can see on my local network, so I can manipulate it out side home. I do use a VPN at home (TunnelBear). Can you tell me how to do it? or give me a link where it teaches it?
I am totally new on this and have being learning from 0, many terminology I don't even have an idea so give me a gide for dummies lol.

kdragon75

Wizard
So you need a VPN that works the opposite of Tunnel Bear. OpenVPN is something you should research as a server that you run at home and connect to from on the road. This will give you encrypted access to your internal network from the outside. Search the forums for OpenVPN in a jail.