Looking for help with having 2 internet connections in house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Milyard

Patron
I am planning on having 2 internet ISP in my house. What I want to do is this.

Have my main for all my computers in house. Right now I have Cox. I have it providing all my computers internet. I have Cox going into my Asus Router then router to my 24 port switch. I have my FreeNAS server also connected this way. I have shares setup on this computer so all can access them in house.

I am now wanting to place the FreeNAS with is own ISP. I would like it be the only computer using this connection. However I would like to still be able to access the network shares.

I am looking for info as to how and what I would need to setup something like this.

Sakuru

Guru

Adrian

Contributor
One way. There will be others.

Put a pfSense (another FreeBSD based appliance) firewall between router and the switch.
Attach your 2n'd ISP router to the firewall.
Set the firewall to route outgoing traffic by default to your 1st ISP, and outgoing traffic from your FreeNAS system to the second ISP.
You might want to set up failover, so if one ISP goes down the other is used.

Unlike FreeNAS, pfSense doesn't need much of a computer. Almost any 64 bit PC with 2 (3 in your case) NICs should suffice. Various firms will sell you a small box with pFsense installed. Netgate will sell you a good but expensive one.

snaptec

Guru
+1 pfsense.
But I would sell the asus router and only use the pfsense.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Adrian

Contributor
+1 pfsense.
But I would sell the asus router and only use the pfsense.

A good point.
The OP doesn't go into and detail about his comms arrangements.
The Asus is probably a router/modem
To have pfSense connecting direct to an ISP, he would still need a modem. He would need to either put the Asus in to bridge mode, or use a modem.
I use an ex BT HG612, unlocked to allow access to stats. While this is an elderly and under powered device, in bridge mode it can keep up with an 80 Mbps FTTC/VDSL2 line (as a router it probably would not).
Twice for two ISPs of course.
The FreeNAS box need not know anything about this, just that the pfSense box is its default gateway.
See https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php.

Status
Not open for further replies.