2 Ethernet - One for Internet and one direct connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpkcg

Dabbler
I'm having some trouble with the network-configuration and hoping that you guys could help me out.
All our computers have static IP-adresses direct from the ISP. Our FreeNAS-server have a static IP as well.
Now a bunch of our computers will connect to the NAS with the static IP. Sharing a Gigabit-connection.
But one of the computers should be directly connected with ethernet to a second ethernet card. (have a look att my great schematic image attached to this post)

On a previous server we had the same setup (but using debian, which i was not involved in) so i know that it should work.
Then the computer that was directly connected to server was set to DHCP so it got the ip from the server. I would like it to be the same now, but with the freenas as the host.

And I've tried adding adding the interface and fiddeling with it, making vlans and whatnot, but i cant get it to work.

Any help on this would be great.

superawesomesetup.jpg

louisk

Patron
Should work. You can configure the second interface with an ip, and then configure your workstation with an ip in the same network.

I would point out that with out a firewall in front of things, you are asking for trouble and it likely won't be long before machines are compromised.

Good luck.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Been there.. done that. Got the t-shirt too!

Notes that may help you:

1. Keep the "direct" connect from the server and "super awesome workstation" on a totally different subnet. My home network is 192.168.0.x and my direct connect is 192.168.1.x.
2. Enable Jumbo packets if you are sure both the FreeNAS server and "super awesome workstation" can handle it.
3. If you want maximum network performance between the FreeNAS server and "super awesome workstation" you NEED Intel NICs. If your systems can handle the load, you should be able to get at least 110MB/sec with Intel.
4. If you want great performance between the FreeNAS server and the "rest of your network" you will want Intel NICs.
5. If you don't have a firewall separating your FreeNAS server from the internet you are SO asking for trouble. Hint: I'm betting money you have no firewall since your IP is being assigned by your ISP. Of all of the things you will get from this thread, this one should be the very, very, very top of that list.

Yes, Intel NICs can make a substantial difference in performance.

peterpkcg

Dabbler
Been there.. done that. Got the t-shirt too!

Notes that may help you:

1. Keep the "direct" connect from the server and "super awesome workstation" on a totally different subnet. My home network is 192.168.0.x and my direct connect is 192.168.1.x.
2. Enable Jumbo packets if you are sure both the FreeNAS server and "super awesome workstation" can handle it.
3. If you want maximum network performance between the FreeNAS server and "super awesome workstation" you NEED Intel NICs. If your systems can handle the load, you should be able to get at least 110MB/sec with Intel.
4. If you want great performance between the FreeNAS server and the "rest of your network" you will want Intel NICs.
5. If you don't have a firewall separating your FreeNAS server from the internet you are SO asking for trouble. Hint: I'm betting money you have no firewall since your IP is being assigned by your ISP. Of all of the things you will get from this thread, this one should be the very, very, very top of that list.

Yes, Intel NICs can make a substantial difference in performance.

Thanks to both of you. I got it working, i was expecting it to have some dhcp-feature, but it worked great just to set the ip myself.
About the firewall, I know there is some firewall/switch in the building, a switch that I don't have any controll over. But I also know that its probably open on most of the common ports. So yeah that might become a problem.
Thats why i'm looking into the software firewalls for freebsd, any pointers there?

It's going to have AFP and SMB, and thats about it. Shouldn't it be enough for me to set, on the afp/smb shares, allow only IP1 IP2 IP3 IP4?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't believe so. But you should be less concerned with the stuff you have running and more concerned about the stuff you don't know you have running.

I'm not sure its possible to have any kind of firewall on the FreeNAS installation. The jail can't protect FreeNAS and theres virtually no free space on the FreeNAS boot partitions.

peterpkcg

Dabbler
I don't believe so. But you should be less concerned with the stuff you have running and more concerned about the stuff you don't know you have running.

I'm not sure its possible to have any kind of firewall on the FreeNAS installation. The jail can't protect FreeNAS and theres virtually no free space on the FreeNAS boot partitions.

Thanks for the advice sir.
I'll have a talk with the Administrator of the firewall/switch/whatever and see what he has to say. It might be possible to lock out all traffic from outside the office. Or well. It should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.