Two NICs, two networks, one noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogchainx

Cadet
I just need a good overview and correction of any of my assumptions. Here's what I'm trying to do:

FreeNAS 20TB server with two different NICs:
-Two NICS. One 1Gbps, one 10Gbps
-1Gbps connection (A) is attached to Comcast router/modem (10.1.10.1), with a static public IP, bypassing a secondary hardware firewall router (192.168.1.*) connected to the Comcast Cable modem.
-10Gbps connection (B) is attached to Windows 7 PC on a 192.168.1.* range, controlled by the firewall router.

Connection A (1Gbps, on 10.1.10.* network) is for downloading and Plex/Minecraft connections/etc, as the hardware firewall router attached to the Comcast router/modem is locked down for security purposes and firewall router is using 192.168.1.* as the network address for computers, and is acting as DHCP. Comcast router only uses DHCP on 10.1.10.* network.

Connection B (10Gbps, connected to Win7 pc on 192.168.1.* network) allows for extremely fast backups/transfers from FreeNAS 20TB server to a secondary PC, running Windows 7, also so any jails or CIFS shares can be utilized on that one PC from the 192.168.1.* network.

-How does FreeNAS handle such a setup? Gateway is set on Connection A (10.1.10.1) to use internet, bypassing hardware firewall router, using an IP address of 10.1.10.* (10.1.10.105, for example)?
-How does Windows 7 PC see the FreeNAS 20TB server? Just as a separate network (ip address static set from FreeNAS setup?)

Any input would be welcome.

-Sean

EDIT: So each NIC will have its own IP address, Connection A will stay within the 10.1.10.* subnet connected to the comcast router/modem at 10.1.10.1 for internet access. Connection B (ip address 1.1.1.1) will directly connect to the Windows 7 PC (on its own second NIC, IP address 1.1.1.2) via a 10Gbps connection, intel X540 on both sides. This should work, yes?

Last edited:

chris crude

Patron
It should work. Just remember, on your Windows PC, access FreeNAS and map its shared folders to the address of its 10GB NIC or else it will continue to use your old network. 2 different NIC on FreeNAS gives you 2 different addresses to access its GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogchainx

Cadet
I'm waiting on two $8 NICs before trying this out on the $85 10Gbe adapters. I'll let you know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.