able to connect with root but not with other users on vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

rip97000

Cadet
recently we switched from frontier dsl to comcast with a new buffalo with dd-wrt.

it works great! i am able to vpn in (with PPTP & CHAP Secrets) with the work laptop and now the owner can work from home. he is very happy.

when i setup the the vpn for myself, i am able to connect to the network and i have access to the router & freenas gui. i can see the server & can try to connect, but the user that i made for myself would not connect - "access is denied". i double checked the settings and made sure they were the same as the user for the laptop. after many failed attempts at connecting i typed in root and the root password and it worked. i connected with my user on the laptop and it worked just fine.

i am baffled as to why it would work for any user on the laptop but not for my desktop (expect for root of course). the only thing i could think of is that my computer has never been on that network with a physical connection.

any ideas?

i am using the following

FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64
services on - cifs, smart, ssh (no AD or LDAP - we only have 4 computers & 4 users)
work network 192.168.11.***
windows 7 on all computers fully updated
my network 192.168.1.***

thanks in advance!
joe

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't have any good ideas, but if its working from 1 machine and not the other I'd be trying to figure out why that one machine isn't working. Clearly your FreeNAS configuration is good if its working from 1 machine.

Sorry, not much help, but it is the best I can offer :(

rip97000

Cadet
that's ok it's a pretty strange issue and that's what i was thinking, but i was hopefully looking for a better answer :) hopefully other people will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.