SSH users are able to see root directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

roby84

Dabbler
Hello,
I want to setup ssh chroot so that users cannot access all the root directories of Freenas (bin, var, etc...) when they connect via SFTP.

I followed these instructions http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/SSH about "Chrooting SFTP users" but it doesn't work, as they are still able to navigate up to the root of system.

I've read that all the directories of the user home directory path must be only root-owned, and I've seen that instead my /mnt folder is owned by the root user and a "1002" group, which I don't know what it is. I changed that 1002 to "wheel" but the problem still occurs, furthermore, after rebooting Freenas the group of /mnt is changed back to "1002". I don't know if I messed up something with permissions in the past or if I just have to configure something.
Could anybody help me to solve this?

Thank you.

Roberto

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
SFTP is completely different of SSH login... For SSH chroot you need a chroot environment with a tree (/bin, /usr, etc)

roby84

Dabbler
As what is written in that article, Freenas should force the use of SFTP when connecting via SSH, so it should work like that, otherwise why should have they written those things?

roby84

Dabbler
I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying that the article ( http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/SSH#Chrooting_SFTP_users ) says that Freenas allows to force users to be chrooted in their home directory. I followed those instructions, and connected to Freenas via SFTP with WinSCP, but the user is still able to navigate up to the root of the system.
So is it possible to do such a thing?

roby84

Dabbler

roby84

Dabbler
Finally I got it to work.
The problem was that the user that connects to Freenas via SFTP MUST be a member of the group indicated in the "Match Group" option of the SSH configuration. But in the article about "Chrooting SFTP users" this is not specified as he just says to add "Match Group sftp" but he doesn't say that the user must be a member of the "sftp" group. I suggest this to be added in the article.
Bye bye.

Roberto

OnecAgain

Dabbler
That's true, you need to add his group.
In my configuration, the user can login and is forced to /mnt as home. So he cant go to root folders. BUT the user isn't forced to his home folder. Did I missed something?
Code:
Match User xyz 
     ChrootDirectory /mnt/Raid/xyz/
     ForceCommand internal-sftp
     AllowTcpForwarding no

OnecAgain

Dabbler
Ok, now it works. I don't know why now. Might i need a while...????

But the user cant write to this directory. For the mount point it is configured like the picture.

Sftp3.jpg

Ok, now I got it. *faceplam*

The dataset won't work alone. You need to create inside the dataset an folder an change the owner to your client user. The the dataset is root owned, but the folder inside is owned by the user.

puppet

Cadet
Finally I got it to work.
The problem was that the user that connects to Freenas via SFTP MUST be a member of the group indicated in the "Match Group" option of the SSH configuration. But in the article about "Chrooting SFTP users" this is not specified as he just says to add "Match Group sftp" but he doesn't say that the user must be a member of the "sftp" group. I suggest this to be added in the article.
Bye bye.

Roberto

Thanks for your comments Roberto - We're not all experts, some of us are just trying to learn, little comments like yours have helped many!

mskenderian

Contributor
i followed all the instructions.

now user "test" cannot connect via SFTP.
i also get this message in the footer :

sshd[50517]: fatal: bad ownership or modes for chroot directory component "/mnt/"

not sure what happened here

i did the following

mkdir /mnt/Data/Users/test/test
chown test:test /mnt/Data/Users/test/test

any suggestions?

SmallGuy

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.