VPN And Accessing Freenas Network Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynorx

Explorer
I hope this helps some members. Just wanted to share my experience and what my solution was to the problem.

Hardware I have:
Router Asus RT-AC87U firmware 3.0.0.4.382_50010 - Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Surface - Freenas Server 11.1-U4

I wanted to access my offices shares from home. Ive known for a while that my particular router has the option of running two different types of vpn services so I thought I would give them a try. After banging my head for a while I finally ran a cmd and ip config and realized that the routers VPN puts me on a different IP address than the rest of my network. It assigns 192.169.10.X instead of the usual networks 192.168.1.X .

By using the default configuration I was able to access the network but the Freenas server wasn't visible. I read somewhere in freenas forum that I could do a //freenasuiip/nameofshare. That did work and I was able to see and download the files though the Internet browser but its not what I wanted. I wanted to be able to access my files edit them and save them back not have to download them, Just like as if I was at the office.

I tried different things including some of the following: making sure we were all in the same workgroup, checking to make sure the network connection was on private, I made sure freenas netbios was setup correctly, network adapters were setup to discover netbios, and many more things I cant remember.

Router settings
LAN Tab
dhcp server/ip pool eding address changed it from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.250 that left me with 3 addresses to work with.

Then I went to VPN Server - PPTP Tab
vpn details/advanced settings/client ip address/ changed it to 192.168.1.251 it auto changed the other side to 192.168.1.254.

Configured long in credentials for the VPN on the router, used windows 10 buit in vpn software from the notifications menu, successfully log in, did a cmd followed by an ipconfig I had been assigned a proper Local Lan IP. finished it up with a \\freenas from the file browser and a big smile.:)

VPN Details/Advanced Settings/ Interface Type / Change it from TUN to TAP that removes the default ip address that it wants to assign to you that puts you in a different network. I think its 8.xx.xx.xx When put into TAP it does assign you Local IP address just like your regular network, but you have to use OpenVPN software along with a file that your router generates. I am able to connect to the LAN but I cant see or connect to freenas server

I HAVENT HAD LUCK USING THIS METHOD. I RECOMMED YOU USE THE FIRST METHOD VPN SERVER PPTP.

If anyone else would like to share a different method please share it. Im interested in leaning more about it. Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.