Is there a way to do a WAN ip lookup from the Freenas computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax

Explorer
I would like to verify that my computer is using my VPN that is through my DD-WRT. I have two routers and the DD-WRT is the secondary router. I did have the FreeNas server receive DHCP from the VPN router and most likely it is getting the VPN service but I like to be certain that it has a different WAN IP address and not my local ISP IP address. Typically I can verified this through a web browser with a lookup website like google. Is there plugin' or method through the shell? Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'll take anything.

praecorloth

Contributor
You should be able to just hop over to the FreeNAS admin page, click on Networking, and right there in Global Configuration you should see the default gateway. Make sure that IP is the IP of your secondary router, and that's where all your traffic will go through.

madmax

Explorer
Thanks. I have done that already but I would just like to have some kinf of verification of some sort. I usually do this on my desktop and able to use a browser and use some ip lockup service to tell whether or not I'm still using my ISP IP or my VPN IP. Its important to know this and actually see the ip address be different then my ISP because sometimes my VPN IP drops from time to time. Would it be easier to install OPENVPN on the FreeNas server instead and forget about using my VPN router?

madmax

Explorer
Well I figure this one out accidentally, I was trying to do something else and I tried pinging google.com

When you ping in the shell you get the results of the ping but also where the ping is coming from so your IP address which in my case was my VPN IP. I guess at the moment this is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.