FreeNAS and two internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobT

Cadet
Hello my name is Rob and I'm new to FreeNAS.

I have FreeNAS up and running on an old computer and it works and I can access it through my one computer that is connected to the same router. This is my setup.

Router A is for work. It has it's own connection and does not communicate with Router B, which has a separate connection. I have no network joining the computers together. FreeNAS should use only the connection from Router B (although its possible it could use Router A's connection at night).

At the moment FreeNAS works on the computer connected to Router B. I would like for the computer connected to Router A to also be able to connect to FreeNAS to do backups and to move media files. Is there a guide I can read to help with this?

Also, I'm sure this is quite easy, but how do I stream media to my Samsung Smart TV? The TV is DLNA compatible.

RobT

Cadet
Mods can this please be moved to another section so I can receive some help with my setup?

I've never set a NAS up before, so I'm not sure if what I am asking is even possible.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There's no reason to move it because it is in an appropriate location. What you are asking about might be possible but not without some serious network knowledge. Just wait for someone with the experience to chime in. What you are asking is extremely rare.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jgreco

Resident Grinch
At the moment FreeNAS works on the computer connected to Router B. I would like for the computer connected to Router A to also be able to connect to FreeNAS to do backups and to move media files. Is there a guide I can read to help with this?

Put a second network card in Router A's Computer and in the FreeNAS box. Configure a private network of some sort (hard to be specific with such vague details). Router A's Computer now has access to FreeNAS but FreeNAS doesn't have access to Router A and Work's Connection.

Also, I'm sure this is quite easy, but how do I stream media to my Samsung Smart TV? The TV is DLNA compatible.

You go load an app called Plex on the SmartTV and a plugin called Plex Media Server on FreeNAS, and have happy TV viewing. Seriously, Samsung's DLNA is ... what's the word... awesome? no, the other aw... awful.

RobT

Cadet
k, thanks. I will give this a bash later.

Do I configure the private network from the Windows side or the FreeNAS side?

Status
Not open for further replies.