Networking freenas without Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly as pirateghost has said. Part of the problem is that you are using a wifi hotspot for your internet access. It probably does not understand that multiple things are happening down the line.

If you want to continue using it you will need ONE device that can act as a bridge from the mifi and get an IP address as well act as a DHCP server. Everything else will need to be switches and access points and should be on a subnet that is not the same as the mifi. You will still be double nat'ed but when you turn the mifi off everything will still get an ip address from the bridge. At that point you will no longer use the mifi connection directly. It's there broadcasting but you MUST ignore it.

Right now you have multiple devices handing out IP addresses to things they are connected to and that is the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/local-area-network-wi-fi-wireless,3020.html

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Then how should they be connect? You know since you know everything and can't explain what your talking about! Atleast @depasseg is actually trying to help!
Keep the attitude down. You were the one that proclaimed you understood networking. If me telling you that your networks are segregated when they shouldn't be doesn't make sense, then you don't really know much about networking do you?

I told you what was wrong. I told you it had F all to do with FreeNAS and you have a broken network. I told you that you were double natting and you should have enough info now to know how to research it.

You are CHAINING your routers incorrectly... You should have ONE flat network. Fix it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Since you're so hell-bent on someone holding your hand to fix it, you should be using LAN ports on your routers and dhcp should be disabled on all but one.

You should not be using the wan ports on any router but your main one.

One subnet. One broadcast domain. One dhcp server.

dillweed

Dabbler
Exactly as pirateghost has said. Part of the problem is that you are using a wifi hotspot for your internet access. It probably does not understand that multiple things are happening down the line.

If you want to continue using it you will need ONE device that can act as a bridge from the mifi and get an IP address as well act as a DHCP server. Everything else will need to be switches and access points and should be on a subnet that is not the same as the mifi. You will still be double nat'ed but when you turn the mifi off everything will still get an ip address from the bridge. At that point you will no longer use the mifi connection directly. It's there broadcasting but you MUST ignore it.

Right now you have multiple devices handing out IP addresses to things they are connected to and that is the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/local-area-network-wi-fi-wireless,3020.html

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm
Thank you! I will look at that tomorrow, and let yiu know if it fixes it!

dillweed

Dabbler
Since you're so hell-bent on someone holding your hand to fix it, you should be using LAN ports on your routers and dhcp should be disabled on all but one.

You should not be using the wan ports on any router but your main one.

One subnet. One broadcast domain. One dhcp server.
Thank you! Finally an explanation!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thank you! Finally an explanation!
You should really learn some basic troubleshooting skills. When provided bits of info, you should be able to research it. And be humble when someone suggests that you need to learn some networking because it's obvious you don't understand it. After your comment that you understood networking, it was assumed that you would have grasped the terminology and info we provided about the issue.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Then how should they be connect? You know since you know everything and can't explain what your talking about! Atleast @depasseg is actually trying to help!
We are all trying to help.

dillweed

Dabbler
Okay so I'm going to do a temporary setup for now now while I flash the tp-link router. Is the repeater mode what I need for it to work with out the MiFi being connected? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 180
That depends, will the MiFi always be on? If not when it is turned off clients will not get a DHCP response so you will have to set everything to static IP addresses. Otherwise it will need to be able to act as a client and then give out IP addresses as a DHCP server to everything else.

I would suggest that you take anything else over to the dd-WRT forums or someplace more network centric to get this part of things straightened out since they will be able to work through the setup that you need. I have dealt with dd-WRT to a certain extent and have setup things to work the way you need but it can vary highly based on the router you have and they will be able to handle it better than we can.

dillweed

Dabbler
No the MiFi will not always be on. I'm going to do some experimenting this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.