My ISP is hiding the real WAN IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdenommee

Dabbler
When my router connect to the Internet, it goes to my ISP router which provide an internal IP address of the 10.x.x.x style. This hide the real WAN adress. If I try to activate dynamic DNS, my router replies with this message

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment

During the last Internet outage, my router error message was: cannot connect to the ISP DHCP, so I know for sure that I am behind two NAT firewalls.

Is there any way to access Free NAS remotely under those conditions?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir, you might consider a VPN, or something like Hamachi.

But, being double NATted LAN->10.x.x.x->WAN is pretty much the maximally horrible situation, especially when you, yourself, do not control one of the gateways. Effectively, that means you're not even on the internet at all, in some sense, from a philosophical perspective.

You may contact your ISP and see if they have a business plan that will give you an external IP address. You may also get lucky and have it be a cheap add on to your current plan but often is reserved for business plans when they use NAT.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My ISP does the same so I pay $5/month for a static public IP. Call them and see if they can help you out.

pdenommee

Dabbler
My ISP does the same so I pay $5/month for a static public IP. Call them and see if they can help you out.

The sales department is closed during the weekend. I will try Monday.

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
Here's an idea:
I receive a public IP with my service, but it's dynamic. So, I run a $10/mo. VPS at Linode, running pfSense (FreeBSD and ZFS, yay!), which I then connect to with OpenVPN. This gives me multiple static IPs, lets me connect with whatever backhaul I want (I have both a cable modem and an LTE router as a backup), all for the penalty of about 8 milliseconds of additional latency.

pdenommee

Dabbler
Here's an idea:
I receive a public IP with my service, but it's dynamic. So, I run a $10/mo. VPS at Linode, running pfSense (FreeBSD and ZFS, yay!), which I then connect to with OpenVPN. This gives me multiple static IPs, lets me connect with whatever backhaul I want (I have both a cable modem and an LTE router as a backup), all for the penalty of about 8 milliseconds of additional latency.

If my ISP wants more then 10$ per month for a static IP, I will consider your solution.

tvsjr

Guru
If my ISP wants more then 10$ per month for a static IP, I will consider your solution.
All depends on the ISP, and your luck may vary up there. My ISP won't offer static IP services to *anyone* that isn't on a business class service. I can get 200/20 for $75/mo. on residential service, or I can get 50/8 and one static IP for $149/mo. Additional statics are $50/mo/each. And that's "business light" service... no SLA, nothing. This solution is much cheaper for me and, if I have an interruption in my cable service, I automatically fail over to LTE... but the static IPs remain the same. The servers have about 3 hours of UPS battery capacity, backed up by a generator... so it would take a huge power outage (and no fuel availability) or a failure in two disparate services to lose connectivity.

tvsjr

Guru
Jump on it.

I got my answer, it is $5.95 CAD per month for a static IP.

Good to hear. You should be on the road to external access shortly. You will probably have to change your router from a DHCP to a static IP setting but once that is done you should be good to go. They should tell you this when you put in the order but if you notice that you are not getting an external IP after the change is made you can try making this setting on your own and see if it works. A reboot of the modem and router will also likely be required so do that first and get the external IP before you get off the phone with them if you haven't already.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You don't really need a *STATIC* IP. I mean, I don't have one. I use dyn.com and dynamic DNS updating so that whatever my IP is, it takes less than an hour to update everyone for all my services.

But yes, for $5/month, definitely, you want the fixed static WAN IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.