SOLVED No net after disabling DHCP in favor of custom IPv4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift-R

Dabbler
I used to have a router that allowed me to assign certain IPs to devices but my ISP changed it to one that doesn't allow that.

Now I'm trying to assign a custom IP address FreeNAS. Everything works fine with DHCP, but the IP is not the one I want. When I disable DHCP and set a custom IPv4 address, then I can't access the WAN on the server. For example, fetching new updates information returns "urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known".

How do I configure this properly? All I did was step 1 on the CLI setup, said no a few times until getting to setup a new ipv4 (also no to ipv6).

Zredwire

Explorer
Your custom IP Address must be in the same subnet as your default gateway. For home routers this usually means in the same subnet as the address you use to manage your router. Also make sure the address is unique and not used by any other thing on your network. Also make sure you have put in the default gateway on your FreeNas box.
EDIT: Also make sure the address you gave Freenas is not within the DHCP range on the router.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You've not given many details to go on, but...
I will do a breakdown on my general network settings and it may help you.

1) My router is set up to give DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199

2) My two FreeNAS server are configured via the GUI to use static IP
addresses of 192.168.1.27 and 192.168.1.30

3) My two FreeNAS servers are configured via IPMI to use static IP
addresses of 192.168.1.29 and 192.168.1.31

Once these FreeNAS machines are configured with the static IP, it's
a matter of rebooting the servers and the router to make it work.

Swift-R

Dabbler
The custom IP is in the same subnet and I've entered the default gateway.

This is my router configuration/devices:

network.png devices.png

Notice that the one I highlighted is the FreeNAS server with DHCP (which isn't enabled anymore as I've set a custom IP). The custom IP is supposed to be 10.0.0.2. I've also set DHCP addr from .100 to .199.

IMG_0298.JPG

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Since changing the static IP of the FreeNAS server to 10.0.0.2
have you looked under the Static Leases tab (I see that tab in the picture) or rebooted the router?

Swift-R

Dabbler
Since changing the static IP of the FreeNAS server to 10.0.0.2
have you looked under the Static Leases tab (I see that tab in the picture) or rebooted the router?

I did. I even did a factory reset.
The static leases tab shows the bridge static leases (none shown).
The new router is really really bad, but there must be something wrong on the server if I can use a static IP on my Windows machine and still access the internet, right?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
there must be something wrong on the server if I can use a static IP on my Windows machine and still access the internet, right?
I would think that if the server can be set to DHCP and receive a working IP
address from the router, AND the Windows machine can get a static IP from the router, that it's just a matter of proper settings in FreeNAS.
Take a look at the Users Guide and see if you are missing something

Zredwire

Explorer
When you set the IP on Freenas can you get to Freenas with the GUI? Is it just getting out to the internet that is a problem? If so make sure you have both the Default Gateway and at least one DNS (Nameserver) is listed in Freenas.

Swift-R

Dabbler
When you set the IP on Freenas can you get to Freenas with the GUI? Is it just getting out to the internet that is a problem? If so make sure you have both the Default Gateway and at least one DNS (Nameserver) is listed in Freenas.
Exactly. I made sure to set the default gateway and two DNS nameservers (Google's). I've been looking through the Users Guide but can't find what's wrong.

Edit: Well... :D I hadn't setup the Default Gateway. Aha. I was confusing it with the Network Mask, which I have set in the interface. All's working. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.