iocage-iX-plugin Crashplan on FreeNAS 11.0-RC4 wants to upgrade but fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
Wanting to try out the latest and greatest Crashplan FreeNAS+iocage plugin, I got it all setup and running. When I bring up the Crashplan GUI over ssh Crashplan looks to be going through the motions of upgrading itself but is not able to.
Screenshot - 06112017 - 10:25:06 AM.png

The GUI stops after a few moments. If I try reconnecting to the GUI again I get this in the terminal:
Screenshot - 06112017-10:26:34 AM.png

Upon restarting the iocage Crashplan jail I get the full Crashplan GUI to launch. It notifies me that it failed an upgrade and will try again in an hour.
Screenshot - 06112017 - 10:28:32 AM.png

Would anyone happen to know if there is anything I can do now to remedy this upgrade problem? Or, do I need to just wait until the plugin itself gets updated?

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Yes, you have to wait for the updated plug-in. Plug-ins are a hack at best and you really should not be using Jails/Plugins if you really need the sevice to be reliable.

This is why Docker is so important to FreeNAS, for that matter important to open source. It is the only reliable way to install software on an Open Source OS.

scrappy

Patron
Yes, you have to wait for the updated plug-in. Plug-ins are a hack at best and you really should not be using Jails/Plugins if you really need the sevice to be reliable.

This is why Docker is so important to FreeNAS, for that matter important to open source. It is the only reliable way to install software on an Open Source OS.

There's nothing wrong with a jail when running software natively written for FreeBSD. Jails themselves are not the problem. I run several Jails with iocage on my FreeBSD boxes and have never experienced any instability. Of course, CrashPlan isn't native on *BSD because of Java. Therefore, it must run on the Linux compatibility layer which I believe is where most of these CrashPlan-in-a-jail problems stem from.

I actually have been running CrashPlan in a CentOS VM on FreeNAS for a while, but a jail makes better sense so long as you can actually rely on it. I'm just not sure I can trust CrashPlan in a jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess FreeBSD is just SOL, then, since Docker is a Linux technology that doesn't work elsewhere. I guess that means that Linux is going to be the only reliable Open Source OS. Not.

The problem isn't jails, the problem isn't plugins, the problem isn't FreeNAS. The problem is CrashPlan, which is a steaming pile of crap in a Java app that's fragile af. We put up with it because it's cheap, and that's really all it has going for it.

Edit: And when I say the Java app is fragile af, I'm talking about my experience running it inside a Linux VM with plenty of RAM and a GUI, not just on my experience with the FreeNAS plugin. Even in what should be a fully-supported environment, it falls over and dies randomly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.