Crashplan forcing upgrade - then no longer works 3.6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

berd1921

Dabbler
Crashplan had been working great for awhile and I currently have 2.2TB uploaded.

This week I got the error in the crashplan GUI "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry"

In freenas the plugin was off, tried restarting it, refreshed page and it was off again. Tried reboot with no change.
I uninstalled the freenas plugin,
and reset it up using these instructions: http://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/20vbyd/crashplan_installation/
which is what I originally used successfully.
After resetting it up I connected successfully through the crashplan GUI on my PC, signed in, then clicked to adopt my previous backup so I didn't have to resend 2.2TB. Forced to login in again, then a red exclamation point saying crashplan upgrade.

Freenas shows these errors:
Oct 20 12:00:20 freenas kernel: linux: pid 42862 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
Oct 20 12:00:40 freenas kernel: linux: pid 42930 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
Oct 20 12:01:41 freenas kernel: linux: pid 43159 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
Oct 20 12:02:01 freenas kernel: linux: pid 43226 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
Oct 20 12:03:02 freenas kernel: linux: pid 43412 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
Oct 20 12:04:02 freenas kernel: linux: pid 43597 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented

The crashplan GUI shuts itself down, and then the crashplan plugin on freenas won't stay turned on.

I attempted using this fix: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-3-6-3.18416/#post-101205

but it doesn't seem to work. I tried it with crashplan desktop client version 3.6.3 and also the new 3.6.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

andoy31

Explorer
I have the same problem! I did the same troubleshooting steps you did.

I'm thinking something happened yesterday that caused this

andoy31

Explorer
managed to fix it after a restart :P

kloon

Dabbler
Well, I am having the same issue, restart the service and the jail won't help. No changes nor update on my FreeNAS and it happen all of the sudden.

@andoy31, do you restart the FreeNAS or the jail?

andoy31

Explorer
things i've did--
- I've removed all my jails and deleted my jail dataset.
- installed crashplan plugin
- restart freenas
- reconfigure crashplan

kloon

Dabbler
I can't really delete all my jails and dataset as I have 6 jails is currently running.

Anyone else face the same problem?

I have exactly the same problem... Has been working fine for months. Then this morning my crashplan agent sent me an alert to say it can't backup.

Tried this below which normally fixes it plus a reboot and still nothing.. (executed this from the Jail)

cpuset -l 0 /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start

/usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status

Maverick

Dabbler
same issue here for me, will troubleshoot tonight. only tried restarting the plugin and jail thus far.

Raven9810

Dabbler
I am having the same issue. Received an email from my FreeNas server security run output with this line:
linux: pid 80498 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented

After seeing the email, I attempted to connect via my desktop CrashPlan GUI and received the "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry. I have tried restarting the plugin and I also rebooted my server. Neither has fixed the problem.

Like the rest, I have had no problems for months and have not changed anything with the configuration of my server. Anyone know what causes the output message above? Does anyone know why this would start happening out of nowhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell it's the agent upgrade to 3.6.4 that has caused the problem. I have a copy of the original 3.6.3 setup and tried to uninstall the upgrade and re-install the original. The downside is that as soon as you go to run the app it forces you to update again.

If there is a way to stop the upgrade occurring I think it would be fine?

Tim81

Cadet
I'm not sure if the people who got it working again will check back, but if you do could you answer a few questions.

When I removed and resintalled the plugin it installed 3.6.3. It worked fine for a few minutes, but then it started upgrading again.
Q. What version of CrashPlan do you have working?

I was wondering what versions of FreeNAS everyone was running, just to rule out a compatibility issue with the new CrashPlan.
Q. What version of FreeNAS are you running?

Toddebner

Dabbler
Had same problem.

Went into crashplan jail, started shell. edited the run.conf file

edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

Added -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider after the " and before the -Dfile...... in both the SRV_JAVA.. and GUI_JAVA... lines

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"

Saved the file
Stopped the crashplan jail
Started crashplan jail
Turned on the Crashplan plugin
Voila... I could connect with the client and backup started backup.

Still getting a few "linux: ...... syscall inotify_init not implemented" messages though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think this is the second or third time an update has been pushed over the last year or so that broke Crashplan. Can't they keep their act together?

Tim81

Cadet
I updated my client on my laptop and the run.conf on the freenas and it fixed my problem.

When I installed freenas 9.2.1.6 a month I ago it installed Crashplan 3.6.3. I didn't need to update that file, it just worked out of the box.

I would really like to know why some people could just restart and others had to modify their run.conf.

I'm just curious since this sounds likely to happen again.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Had same problem.

Added -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider after the " and before the -Dfile...... in both the SRV_JAVA.. and GUI_JAVA... lines

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"

Saved the file
Started crashplan jail

Still getting a few "linux: ...... syscall inotify_init not implemented" messages though.

Worked for me. Thanks.

Slovak

Explorer
Had same problem.

Saved the file
Started crashplan jail

Same issue, the above resolved it. Still have a few "not implemented" messages. Also the Installed Plugins notes the "Service status" as OFF.

berd1921

Dabbler
Had same problem.

Saved the file
Started crashplan jail

This worked for me as well. Thanks for posting! As long as crashplan is able to resume my backup it'll be ok. Pain in the ass though!

fracai

Guru
I think this is the second or third time an update has been pushed over the last year or so that broke Crashplan. Can't they keep their act together?
Code42 doesn't support FreeBSD. I can't really fault them that updates break on an unsupported platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.