syscall inotify_init not implemented - hundreds of times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddebner

Dabbler
Every night i get a long log file with the following repeated hundreds of times

linux: pid 38162 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented

Only the pid # changes.

I have searched the forum for answers and all I've found is to ignore the message. However, I'm getting tons of them and a month ago I wasn't .

So, something happened, but I can't figure it out.

I have plex and crashplan plugins / jails setup and both of them have been working for awhile.

about a month ago, I remember updating freenas to the latest version and then updated plex as well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Toddebner

Dabbler
Yes, I've found that in my searching.

Also, I just found a setting in crashplan that turns on/off "Watch file system in real time". It was on, so I turned it off. Perhaps this function is using the inotify to trigger a backup when a file changes.

I'll update if in a day or two whether I'm still getting the messages.

Thanks

Attachments

• crashplan settings change to remove inotify message.JPG
    crashplan settings change to remove inotify message.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 258

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, I've found that in my searching.

Also, I just found a setting in crashplan that turns on/off "Watch file system in real time". It was on, so I turned it off. Perhaps this function is using the inotify to trigger a backup when a file changes.

I'll update if in a day or two whether I'm still getting the messages.

Thanks
I don't know if this is related, but there was a bug in samba/libinotify integration that was causing smbd to use 100% CPU. The workaround was to set "kernel change notify=no" in the smb4.conf file. On cursory review the parameter appears to now be the default. This means that crashplan probably wouldn't be able to track changes in real time in CIFS shares regardless of whether you check that box.

Toddebner

Dabbler
Still get the message no matter what I do.

Is there a way to stop the warning message ?

Derek Dysart

Cadet
This may or may not help, but if you are running Crashplan, it could be that your Crashplan process is, umm, crashing. I found this thread earlier today and it got Crashplan to keep working. I'm waiting to see if my log isn't filled with these messages anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.