CrashPlan updated to 4.3.0, now will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Early this morning, the Crashplan plugin updated to 4.3.0 on my FreeNas server. I received an email with the security output form the server with these messages: linux: pid 29879 (java):syscall inotify_init not implemented. (This is what forced me to check to see if my Crashplan client on my pc would connect to the FreeNas Crashplan backup engine and it would not.

I made sure that my local client version on my PC matches that of the server's plugin version (4.3.0). I also checked to see if the modifications to the /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf file were still there and they are (SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false")

I don't know what else to check. Usually when Crashplan plugin updates, like it did early this morning the run.conf file would have been overwritten and I would just have to add the modifications in again and everything would be working fine. No dice this time.

Anyone else having Crashplan issues? Any ideas what to check or why it has stopped working?

Thanks for any help.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Update... I was able to verify that the backup engine (Crashplan Plugin) is still connecting to Crashplan and backing up files even though the engine_output.log states that connection failed for some reason, but I am unable to connect my Crashplan client to the Backup engine even though both are on the same version 4.3.0. I am unsure if some of the updates that Crashplan made in this new 4.3.0 version broke the ability to connect the client to the headless engine or what. I need to be able to connect though so that I can configure Crashplan settings using the GUI.

Am I the only one having issues with this since CrashPlan updated a couple days ago?

pkco

Cadet
I'm having problems as well. My run.conf modifications are intact, like yours. The FreeNAS Plugins screen shows the plugin is running and when I query the engine directly, it says the same:
Code:
root@crashplan_1:/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status                  
CrashPlan Engine (pid 56847 56848 56849 56850  
56851 56852 56853 56854 56855) is running.  

I still can't connect with the GUI, and unfortunately I don't have a lot to add for an actual resolution.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one having the issue. When I get home tonight, I will be looking into this more to see if I can figure out what is causing the problem.

darkryoushii

Explorer
Same situation, updated and now I can't connect though my ping in games indicates that the backup engine is not even backing up files.

Jason Mulree

Cadet
I was experiencing the same issue though I am not using FreeNAS - this forum post came up during my search for a solution. I run the CrashPlan application on my Windows host to connect to the CrashPlan application running on my Linux host (so I can backup network drives).

After some trawling through the various log files, I have found a workaround, though not specific to FreeNAS and may require some tweaking.

I copied the '.ui_info' file from the '/var/lib/.ui_info' folder on my Linux host to the 'C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan' folder on my Windows host. The CrashPlan application running on my Windows host successfully connects to the CrashPlan application running on my Linux host.

I hope this helps :smile:

Cheers,

Jason.

Jason Mulree

Cadet
I was experiencing the same issue though I am not using FreeNAS - this forum post came up during my search for a solution. I run the CrashPlan application on my Windows host to connect to the CrashPlan application running on my Linux host (so I can backup network drives).

After some trawling through the various log files, I have found a workaround, though not specific to FreeNAS and may require some tweaking.

I copied the '.ui_info' file from the '/var/lib/.ui_info' folder on my Linux host to the 'C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan' folder on my Windows host. The CrashPlan application running on my Windows host successfully connects to the CrashPlan application running on my Linux host.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Jason.

Please note that the '.ui_info' file may be a hidden file on both Windows and Linux hosts.

drinny

Dabbler
No resolution, but just confirmation that I'm having the same problem here.

drinny

Dabbler
No resolution, but just confirmation that I'm having the same problem here.

I poked around more this afternoon and things seem to be working again. I thought I had given the .ui_info hint a go earlier but couldn't get it to work. But I ended up shutting down CP, uninstalling and reinstalling my CrashPlan application on the VM that I use to connect to the headless CrashPlan jail on my NAS, and then starting the service up again. Then I took the /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info running on the jail and copied that file onto the client connecting to the headless CP server and things worked fine after that.

Good luck.

danb35

Hall of Famer

genepi73

Cadet
For Windows Crashplan App, There is a file ui_<account name>.properties in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf
It contains a line servicePort=4243 which apparently override the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

So if you add a line servicePort=4200, headless doesn't work with Crashplan 4.3.0

Changing servicePort=4243 to servicePort=4200 in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\ui_<account name>.properties make it work for me.
I also copy the ui_info file from my linux server to my Windows PC, as describe previously in this thread.

So, Solved for me

thenickdude

Cadet
This solved it for me too. It seems like FreeNAS's Crashplan spontaneously decided to change its listening port, too. The new port number was 4297 which was the first number in the .ui_info file.

raidflex

Guru
I have multiple family/friends backing up to my server, this is pretty annoying if I have to physically go onto each PC and change the key. Then if another update happens I would have to do it all over again. Not really helping reliability for a backup system.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have multiple family/friends backing up to my server, this is pretty annoying if I have to physically go onto each PC and change the key. Then if another update happens I would have to do it all over again. Not really helping reliability for a backup system.
Just remember crashplan doesn't support freebsd/freenas so you can't expect things to just work. You sound comment on the feature request to get crashplan on freenas.

raidflex

Guru
True but it seems like the issue is also a problem for linux also, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Craig321

Dabbler
Copying the .ui_info file from the server to my ProgramData folder also worked for me.

Although I am now getting 'waiting for connection' on my backup. Never had that before :(

Edit: ignore, that. It's connecting fine now. Thanks for the ui_info fix :)

robles

Explorer
Just to keep the documentation inside this forum: to fix the update problem, SSH into your FreeNAS install and enter your jail (via jexec). Then type
Code:
cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info  ; echo

Copy that code to your client, in Windows its located in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info which can be edited in Notepad

In Mac, open terminal and type
Code:
sudo nano "/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/.ui_info"

After typing your admin password, delete the current line and paste the one from your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.