Not open for further replies.

jonandermb

Explorer
This did not work for me
I tested on two different machines with two different crashplan servers. :(

nickt

Contributor
Hi all,

I have also had the same problem. While I have also found that the .ui_info fix enables the client (OS X) to connect successfully, I don't think the backup itself is actually working. In my log file I get the following error every 10 seconds

Code:
[07.09.15 10:28:35.245 WARN    W25621697_NIWatcher  com.code42.net.NetworkInterfaceWatcher  ] SocketException getting network interfaces! java.net.SocketException: Cannot assign requested address
com.code42.exception.DebugException: SocketException getting network interfaces! java.net.SocketException: Cannot assign requested address
    at com.code42.net.NetworkInterfaceWatcher.populateAddresses(NetworkInterfaceWatcher.java:115)
    at com.code42.net.NetworkInterfaceWatcher.doWork(NetworkInterfaceWatcher.java:139)
    at com.code42.utils.AWorker.run(AWorker.java:149)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Cannot assign requested address
    at java.net.NetworkInterface.getAll(Native Method)
    at java.net.NetworkInterface.getNetworkInterfaces(Unknown Source)
    at com.code42.net.NetworkInterfaceWatcher.populateAddresses(NetworkInterfaceWatcher.java:99)
    ... 3 more

(This in /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/service.log.0)

The client claims that the backup is complete, but I don't think it is (numbers don't quite tally).

The other thing I noticed is that run.conf (/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin) was modified at the same time backup activity seemed to stop (around 2AM 7/7 GMT+10). The difference in that file was that the -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true options had been removed. I don't enable IPv6 on my FreeNAS box (I've had too much trouble with IPv6 and jails), so I put this option back and restarted CrashPlan, but I'm still getting the error messages.

So I am curious: for those who found that the .ui_info fix worked on the client - do you also get these error messages? Are you finding that the backup itself is still working?

Thanks,

Nick

jonandermb

Explorer
By the way. Does the ssh tunnel method work?
Just to get it working until this other way is sorted out.

Tookerder

Dabbler
This did not work for me
I tested on two different machines with two different crashplan servers. :(

It didn't work for me initially either, did you do all of this:

For Windows Crashplan App, There is a file ui_<account name>.properties in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf
It contains a line servicePort=4243 which apparently override the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

So if you add a line servicePort=4200, headless doesn't work with Crashplan 4.3.0

Changing servicePort=4243 to servicePort=4200 in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\ui_<account name>.properties make it work for me.
I also copy the ui_info file from my linux server to my Windows PC, as describe previously in this thread.

So, Solved for me

I completed both steps and it is working again for me. The port changed to 4297 for me as well.

Liriel

Dabbler
SOLVED: See my post below.

On my Freenas system the service port was changed to 4357 and so was the start of the value in .ui_info.

I copied the .ui_info from freenas to the windows machine running the client.

In ui.properties and ui_<account name>.properties I changed the servicePort to 4357. Now the client seems to connect (this did not happen before I changed the servicePort in those two files), but then immediately disconnects. I have included the log below. Notice that it is still getting a 4243 value from somewhere even though it successfully connects on 4357.

As an alternate approach I tried changing the .ui_info and listening port on the Freenas system to match those on the client, as this worked for two other linux machines where I run headless crashplan installations. However, as soon as I restarted Crashplan on Freenas, these values reverted to their originals.

Anyone (especially those that have gotten this to work) have any insights?

Code:
[07.10.15 10:29:52.224 INFO    connect              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ] Connecting to service at 192.168.5.9:4357
[07.10.15 10:29:53.255 INFO    MQ-UI-0              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ]   Connected to service
[07.10.15 10:29:53.255 INFO    MQ-UI-0              com.backup42.service.ui.UIInfoUtility   ] Loaded port=4243 and token from location=C:/ProgramData/CrashPlan/.ui_info
[07.10.15 10:29:53.255 INFO    MQ-UI-0              backup42.service.ui.client.ServiceClient] Getting initial application state for CPD, username=liriel, userHome=C:\Users\liriel, desktopFolder=C:\Users\liriel\Desktop
[07.10.15 10:29:53.255 INFO    connect              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ]     SUCCESS on attempt #1
[07.10.15 10:29:53.380 INFO    Factory$Notifier-UI0 com.backup42.desktop.Services           ] DISCONNECTED!

Last edited:

Liriel

Dabbler
For anyone else with problems similar to me, here are the steps I used to get it working:
1. Stop crashplan plugin in GUI
2. Stop crashplan jail in GUI
3. Replace value <jail path>/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info with .ui_info from client computer
4. Make following changes to <jail path>/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
i) Change xxxx in <location>0.0.0.0:xxxx</location> to match value in same file on client computer
ii) Change xxxx in <servicePort>xxxx</servicePort> to match value in same file on client computer
5. Start crashplan jail in GUI
6. Start crashplan plugin in GUI

Note that when editing .ui_info I used "nano -L .ui_info". The -L flag ensures a newline is not added to the end of the file.

Boss

Cadet
Well after jacking around with this I think I managed to mess up the my.service.xml file. Can anyone post how their values in my.service.xml in /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf for the following keys:

<location>.......</location>
<serviceHost>......</serviceHost>
<servicePort>......</servicePort>

Nevermind, Lieriel's post fixed my issues. totally accurate there.

Last edited:
I don't know how much help this will or will not be, but after working through this one for a day or two here are my notes:

1. Install the crashplan plugin through the web GUI
2. In the left-hand frame of the FreeNAS web GUI, expand Plugins, then click on Crashplan. Scroll down to accept the Java EULA.
3. Add storage to the crashplan jail for whatever on your server you want to back up to crashplan. Add each dataset separately under /mnt/ in the jail, and make sure the "read only" and "create directory" checkboxes are checked. For example, if you have a dataset called "documents" that you want to back up, the source would be /mnt/pool/documents, and the destination would be /mnt/documents.
4. SSH to your FreeNAS server as root
5. Run "jls" to list your jails. Note the JID (number) of the crashplan jail
6. Run "jexec (JID of the crashplan jail) csh". For example, if the JID is 3, run "jexec 3 csh"
7. Before you run the Crashplan Service copy the run.conf as run2.conf
8. Open run2.conf and change memory to 1536 and then save (I run 1536m ram you don't have to)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Run "service crashplan start" and see if it starts without errors or use the GUI
10. Let crshplan run for at least a few minutes to allow the upgrade to happen
11. Crashplan is going to upgrade and then you are no longer going to be able to start it!!!!
12. Stop Crashplan
13. Edit the run.conf at /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf or copy run2.conf over run.conf
14. If you edit run.conf[Add the lines: "-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider" and change the ram to 1536m]

Crashplan is likely to need to upgrade 3 or more times and it is likely that these steps will need to be performed each time after a cycle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Save the file and exit
16. Run "echo crashplan_enable=\"YES\" >> /etc/rc.conf"
17. run "/usr/bin/cpuset -l 0 /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine restart"

18. Check the process view in FreeNAS (verify ram is 1536)

19. Run "sockstat -l" and see that you have a lot of java processes listening on port 4243.
20. Run "service crashplan stop"
21. Run "ee /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml"
22. Scroll down to find the line that says "<serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>". Change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0
23. Hit Esc to bring up the menu, a to leave the editor, and save the file.
24. service crashplan start
25. sockstat -l -- the java processes should now be listening on *:4243

26. Get the GUID that represents the newly upgraded engine on the server using "cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info ; echo"
*something like: 4243,13d436c0-230a-4242-b258-574e60e62a9f

27. Save the GUID somewhere (recomendation) No clue if it will change at each upgrade
26. Install the newest crashplan client on your desktop machine (4.3.0 at this time)
27. find your ".ui_info" file, and copy the GUID over the one in it (IDK if this file is there before you go through the welcome dialog or not. So you might
need to start it once and let it go through the welcome hitting the engine running on your local machine. My file was in C:\ProgramData\Crashplan\ (Use Notepad++ to edit)
*You may need to take ownership of the folder and the file before you can edit it. This is also true with ui.properties in the next step.

27. Edit the ui.properties file in the conf folder of your crashplan install, uncomment the serviceHost line, and to change the IP address to the address of your crashplan jail
28. Ensure that the crashplan service is indeed running on FreeNas and then light up the GUI. It should connect and you should be able to adopt or start a new backup.

Cheers, Hope it helps!

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't know how much help this will or will not be, but after working through this one for a day or two here are my notes:

1. Install the crashplan plugin through the web GUI
2. In the left-hand frame of the FreeNAS web GUI, expand Plugins, then click on Crashplan. Scroll down to accept the Java EULA.
3. Add storage to the crashplan jail for whatever on your server you want to back up to crashplan. Add each dataset separately under /mnt/ in the jail, and make sure the "read only" and "create directory" checkboxes are checked. For example, if you have a dataset called "documents" that you want to back up, the source would be /mnt/pool/documents, and the destination would be /mnt/documents.
4. SSH to your FreeNAS server as root
5. Run "jls" to list your jails. Note the JID (number) of the crashplan jail
6. Run "jexec (JID of the crashplan jail) csh". For example, if the JID is 3, run "jexec 3 csh"
7. Before you run the Crashplan Service copy the run.conf as run2.conf
8. Open run2.conf and change memory to 1536 and then save (I run 1536m ram you don't have to)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Run "service crashplan start" and see if it starts without errors or use the GUI
10. Let crshplan run for at least a few minutes to allow the upgrade to happen
11. Crashplan is going to upgrade and then you are no longer going to be able to start it!!!!
12. Stop Crashplan
13. Edit the run.conf at /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf or copy run2.conf over run.conf
14. If you edit run.conf[Add the lines: "-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider" and change the ram to 1536m]

Crashplan is likely to need to upgrade 3 or more times and it is likely that these steps will need to be performed each time after a cycle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Save the file and exit
16. Run "echo crashplan_enable=\"YES\" >> /etc/rc.conf"
17. run "/usr/bin/cpuset -l 0 /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine restart"

18. Check the process view in FreeNAS (verify ram is 1536)

19. Run "sockstat -l" and see that you have a lot of java processes listening on port 4243.
20. Run "service crashplan stop"
21. Run "ee /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml"
22. Scroll down to find the line that says "<serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>". Change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0
23. Hit Esc to bring up the menu, a to leave the editor, and save the file.
24. service crashplan start
25. sockstat -l -- the java processes should now be listening on *:4243

26. Get the GUID that represents the newly upgraded engine on the server using "cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info ; echo"
*something like: 4243,13d436c0-230a-4242-b258-574e60e62a9f

27. Save the GUID somewhere (recomendation) No clue if it will change at each upgrade
26. Install the newest crashplan client on your desktop machine (4.3.0 at this time)
27. find your ".ui_info" file, and copy the GUID over the one in it (IDK if this file is there before you go through the welcome dialog or not. So you might
need to start it once and let it go through the welcome hitting the engine running on your local machine. My file was in C:\ProgramData\Crashplan\ (Use Notepad++ to edit)
*You may need to take ownership of the folder and the file before you can edit it. This is also true with ui.properties in the next step.

27. Edit the ui.properties file in the conf folder of your crashplan install, uncomment the serviceHost line, and to change the IP address to the address of your crashplan jail
28. Ensure that the crashplan service is indeed running on FreeNas and then light up the GUI. It should connect and you should be able to adopt or start a new backup.

Cheers, Hope it helps!
Gold! good post and thanks

nello

Patron
For anyone else with problems similar to me, here are the steps I used to get it working:
3. Replace value <jail path>/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info with .ui_info from client computer
4. Make following changes to <jail path>/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
i) Change xxxx in <location>0.0.0.0:xxxx</location> to match value in same file on client computer
ii) Change xxxx in <servicePort>xxxx</servicePort> to match value in same file on client computer

Note that when editing .ui_info I used "nano -L .ui_info". The -L flag ensures a newline is not added to the end of the file.

Yes, changing the server to match the clients is a much better idea than changing all the clients to match the server.

Thank you for laying it out so clearly.

- nello

jonandermb

Explorer

This worked for me :)
BTW, how do you proceed if you have two freenas machines with different crashplan jails? Would you copy the same id from one client to both machines or would that cause trouble?

Andrew076

Patron
So I can't find the .ui_info file on my windows PC. I thought I would be cute and just create it but then I get an error that I can't create a file with out a name (I guess it wants to treat everything after the"." as the extension). the splash screen for Crashplan says it is version 4.3.0 but will not connect.

So I can't find the .ui_info file on my windows PC. I thought I would be cute and just create it but then I get an error that I can't create a file with out a name (I guess it wants to treat everything after the"." as the extension). the splash screen for Crashplan says it is version 4.3.0 but will not connect.

Make sure you are looking in ProgramData and not Program Files. They are different... Hope this helps

A

Andrew076

Patron

Andrew076

Patron
Ecstatic that I could help! Happy Crashplanning :)

A
Thanks... unfortunately now it seems I have much bigger problems with the install... since it wants to delete my backup and start over... so I think I must not be connecting still.... frustrating!

Thanks... unfortunately now it seems I have much bigger problems with the install... since it wants to delete my backup and start over... so I think I must not be connecting still.... frustrating!

I have had issues getting the backup engine to remember where it was... I usually start with a fresh plugin install like I listed in my post above and then mount the same mount points and 'Adopt' the old machine. That way it does a compare and its back to where it was.. No clue if that is still an option for you, but I have had luck with that method.

A

SirMaster

Patron

If you just fresh reinstalled CrashPlan on your Windows client you also need to edit the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties file and uncomment the lines and fill in your IP.

serviceHost=
servicePort=4243

If you just fresh reinstalled CrashPlan on your Windows client you also need to edit the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties file and uncomment the lines and fill in your IP.

serviceHost=
servicePort=4243

Yeah, If you didn't do this then you are still pointed at the local backup engine and not the headless machine.

A

Andrew076

Patron
So I finally got it to work... I am not sure what the issue was, but when I followed the advice and tried to use the port listed in the .ui_info file it never worked. So finally I changed the port there to the 4243 and modified everything else to follow that port and it worked.

In case anyone else needs to see what my files looked like here they are below...

ui.properties file looks like this:

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
serviceHost=192.168.1.2
servicePort=4243
#pollerPeriod=1000
# 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000
# 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true
#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

.ui_info file looks like this:
4243,(random letters/numbers)

.ui_info file on server looks like this:
4243,(random letters/numbers)

my.service.xml (Portion)
Looks like this:

<location>0.0.0.0:4242</location>
<helpNovice>INTRO</helpNovice>
<userHome>C:\Users\Andrew</userHome>
<windowsPriorityClass>LOW</windowsPriorityClass>
<windowsPriorityBoost>false</windowsPriorityBoost>
<macIOPriority>IOPOL_THROTTLE</macIOPriority>
<javaMemoryHeapMax>2048m</javaMemoryHeapMax>
<serviceUIConfig>
<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>
<servicePort>4243</servicePort>
<connectCheck>0</connectCheck>

I ran sockstat -l to be sure it was listening on the right ports and it was (see below).

root java 28091 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28091 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28091 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28090 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28090 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28090 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28090 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28090 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28089 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28089 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28089 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28089 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28089 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28088 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28088 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28088 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28088 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28088 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root python2.7 5142 3 tcp4 192.168.1.2:12348 *:*
root syslogd 4828 4 dgram /var/run/log
root syslogd 4828 5 dgram /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 4828 6 udp6 *:514 *:*
root syslogd 4828 7 udp4 *:514 *:*

Status
Not open for further replies.