CrashPlan updated to 4.3.0, now will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got it to work... I am not sure what the issue was, but when I followed the advice and tried to use the port listed in the .ui_info file it never worked. So finally I changed the port there to the 4243 and modified everything else to follow that port and it worked.

In case anyone else needs to see what my files looked like here they are below...

ui.properties file looks like this:

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
serviceHost=192.168.1.2
servicePort=4243
#pollerPeriod=1000
# 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000
# 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true
#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

.ui_info file looks like this:
4243,(random letters/numbers)

.ui_info file on server looks like this:
4243,(random letters/numbers)

my.service.xml (Portion)
Looks like this:

<location>0.0.0.0:4242</location>
<helpNovice>INTRO</helpNovice>
<userHome>C:\Users\Andrew</userHome>
<windowsPriorityClass>LOW</windowsPriorityClass>
<windowsPriorityBoost>false</windowsPriorityBoost>
<macIOPriority>IOPOL_THROTTLE</macIOPriority>
<javaMemoryHeapMax>2048m</javaMemoryHeapMax>
<serviceUIConfig>
<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>
<servicePort>4243</servicePort>
<connectCheck>0</connectCheck>

I ran sockstat -l to be sure it was listening on the right ports and it was (see below).

root java 28091 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28091 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28091 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28090 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28090 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28090 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28090 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28090 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28089 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28089 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28089 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28089 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28089 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root java 28088 35 stream (not connected)
root java 28088 36 stream (not connected)
root java 28088 61 tcp4 *:4243 *:*
root java 28088 68 tcp4 192.168.1.2:13464 *:*
root java 28088 74 tcp4 *:4242 *:*
root python2.7 5142 3 tcp4 192.168.1.2:12348 *:*
root syslogd 4828 4 dgram /var/run/log
root syslogd 4828 5 dgram /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 4828 6 udp6 *:514 *:*
root syslogd 4828 7 udp4 *:514 *:*

I noticed that as the engine goes through upgrade cycle it seems to change the ports the engine is running on. I think mine went from 4243 >> 4255 >> 4288. I ended up editing mine back to the standard 4242 and 4243. One way or another the port you connect to should match the ports listed in the my.services.xml file. Also, I have no idea why the leading 4 digits in the .ui_info file are '4243'. My GUID started with 4243 even though the engine was running on 4255. So, one way or another the leading 4 digits in .UI_INFO do not seem to indicate your port.

A

Slovak

Explorer
Just to keep the documentation inside this forum: to fix the update problem, SSH into your FreeNAS install and enter your jail (via jexec). Then type
Code:
cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info  ; echo

Copy that code to your client, in Windows its located in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info which can be edited in Notepad

In Mac, open terminal and type
Code:
sudo nano "/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/.ui_info"

After typing your admin password, delete the current line and paste the one from your server.

That fixed it for me, in coordination with adjusting the ui.properties file on the client.

Now for a new problem:
I manage several instances of CrashPlan on FreeNAS. I had set up (and commented out the unused) stanzas for each server, referencing a unique IP address and port within the ui.properties file. Now each FreeNAS CP instance has key file with a unique .ui_info string. Thus, on the client I have to edit the global system-wide hidden .ui_info file and I need to keep track of the 40-character strings for each instance every time I want to monitor a different CP server. Not user-friendly.

Any ideas for simplification?

Liriel

Dabbler
This worked for me :)
BTW, how do you proceed if you have two freenas machines with different crashplan jails? Would you copy the same id from one client to both machines or would that cause trouble?

I have several headless crashplan installations across a mix of FreeNAS and Linux machines. I have set them all to the same id as my client and it works perfectly.

Liriel

Dabbler
That fixed it for me, in coordination with adjusting the ui.properties file on the client.

Now for a new problem:
I manage several instances of CrashPlan on FreeNAS. I had set up (and commented out the unused) stanzas for each server, referencing a unique IP address and port within the ui.properties file. Now each FreeNAS CP instance has key file with a unique .ui_info string. Thus, on the client I have to edit the global system-wide hidden .ui_info file and I need to keep track of the 40-character strings for each instance every time I want to monitor a different CP server. Not user-friendly.

Any ideas for simplification?

Set all the instances to use the same .ui_info string. See my two posts above for more info.

Slovak

Explorer
Also, I have no idea why the leading 4 digits in the .ui_info file are '4243'. My GUID started with 4243 even though the engine was running on 4255. So, one way or another the leading 4 digits in .UI_INFO do not seem to indicate your port.

A

My .ui_info still requires me to change the port to the corresponding headless installation. Still have to change both ui.properties and .ui_info in order to remotely access the GUI.

Eliav

Cadet
Every time I update .ui_info on my server, as soon as I start crashplan it resets to its original data and I can never connect. Anyone have any ideas? I stopped via plugins then shutdown the jail, made the edit, then started jail and started plugin. As soon as CP is started, it changes back.

Slovak

Explorer
Every time I update .ui_info on my server, as soon as I start crashplan it resets to its original data and I can never connect. Anyone have any ideas? I stopped via plugins then shutdown the jail, made the edit, then started jail and started plugin. As soon as CP is started, it changes back.
I had to change .ui_info and my.service.xml concurrently for it to take effect on one of the servers.

Liriel

Dabbler

Did you follow my instructions exactly from : https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...now-will-not-connect.35269/page-2#post-215205

As Slovak mentions you need to change the .ui_info add the port in my.service.xml at the same time.

jonandermb

Explorer
This thing is trolling me..... I made it work, I restarted and it's not working anymore.
If I submit sockstat -l, i get java listening on 127.0.0.1:4243 Is this correct or should it be listening to 0.0.0.0:4243? anyone can check their sockstat output?
I checked the settings once and again with no results.
I copied the .ui_info file from the client to the server... i just overwrote it.... no dice.
Help, anyone?

jmatt3685

Dabbler
So I finally got it to work... I am not sure what the issue was, but when I followed the advice and tried to use the port listed in the .ui_info file it never worked. So finally I changed the port there to the 4243 and modified everything else to follow that port and it worked.

[/spoiler]

I've gotta give a shoutout to you, Andrew076, and Aaron Wakefield, for finally helping me get crashplan setup and running!! It's taken me months of stalking these forums to get it all figured out, but I finally got it working by following your two posts... thank you guys so much!!!!!

Now, for a silly noob question... do I need to keep the GUI open on the client in order for crashplan to keep working on the freenas?? Or do I need to just run the system tray client on my desktop? Or nothing at all????

Thanks again for all your wisdom!!!!

Liriel

Dabbler
I've gotta give a shoutout to you, Andrew076, and Aaron Wakefield, for finally helping me get crashplan setup and running!! It's taken me months of stalking these forums to get it all figured out, but I finally got it working by following your two posts... thank you guys so much!!!!!

Now, for a silly noob question... do I need to keep the GUI open on the client in order for crashplan to keep working on the freenas?? Or do I need to just run the system tray client on my desktop? Or nothing at all????

Thanks again for all your wisdom!!!!

Nothing at all. The GUI and system tray client are a window into the process on FreeNAS; they are not required for it to start or run, just to monitor and change settings.

katit

Contributor
Ok, I realized that my GUI stopped working (from MAC) today. After I start SSH tunnel and run GUI it would give me "connection refused" messages. Ok. So the problem was that crashplan changed port during update. I did went through instructions and changed this .ui_info string but I doubt that was a solution in my case. After I changed command in terminal to make SSH tunnel to new port - UI started to connect again and backup seem to be running just fine.

One thing. In FreeNAS plugins/installed - it still shows v3.6.3, is that OK?

jonandermb

Explorer
Ok, I realized that my GUI stopped working (from MAC) today. After I start SSH tunnel and run GUI it would give me "connection refused" messages. Ok. So the problem was that crashplan changed port during update. I did went through instructions and changed this .ui_info string but I doubt that was a solution in my case. After I changed command in terminal to make SSH tunnel to new port - UI started to connect again and backup seem to be running just fine.

One thing. In FreeNAS plugins/installed - it still shows v3.6.3, is that OK?
Hi! Can you explain in detail how you managed to connect via ssh tunnel?
I'm still struggling. I even reinstalled the whole thing again and no luck. The other freenas server does connect perfectly though! so it's not like I don't know how to do it.
I'm kind of desperate already

katit

Contributor
I think following instructions is all good and fine, but we need to have better understanding on HOW GUI works with server piece and that will explain some of the things.
I'm by no means expert as I'm having all the same issues everybody have here. And same frustrations..

Here is what I understand. And, in my case there is NOBODY backing up into FreeNAS. Crashplan backs up freenas storage to their cloud, thats it.

1. On FreeNAS crashplan runs "headless". This means there is no GUI portion running, only service. This service takes care of checking for changes, uploading backups to crashplan central, etc.

2. Same "headless" service can be connected on certain port. This is port GUI aka "head" uses to connect and manage settings.

3. On my Mac PC I installed Crashplan, but I do not use service part, I installed it only for the "head" part. Now I need to connect "head aka GUI" from Mac to "service" on FreeNAS. This procedure explained here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

4. In order to connect from Mac to FreeNAS we need to tweak config files on Mac, to point to the FreeNAS. How do we do it? Well, there is .ui_info files on Mac where port number to connect listed. When you open crashplan gui it will use this port on local machine to connect to server. We change this number to something else. Reason for that is because you may have service running and listening already and we need different port number. Then we open terminal and run something like:
ssh -L 4200:127.0.0.1:4289 crashplan@192.168.99.106 -N -v -v

Here 4200 is port number you put in ui_ file, then we list local pc (127..), then port number 4289 which used on server(!!!) and user name and IP of server. This will start and ask for password. After entered - tunnel will be established. And, basically anything that tries to reach port 4200 on local computer will be redirected to 4289 on Crashplan box. Port 4289 is what was changed on server and thats why my GUI stopped connecting. ssh command ran just fine, but connection wasn't possible (refused) becuse crashplan service wasn't there anymore.

5. Our "head" with modified properties starts up and looks for service on port 4200, our ssh redirect setup and picks it up and sends to your server. Bam! Done. You connected.

IMPORTANT!

I'm not sure if document from code42 was recently modified, but I don't remember if I've seen Step #1 "Autthentication token" before when I was setting up initially.

All in all I'm not really happy with all this ordeal. It seems that we all try to setup reliable storage for our homes or small offices and at the end we have to deal with various stupid issues like this one..

EDIT 2:

It seems that code42 just updated their instructions. To me everything there looks food, just need to follow it to a "T"

Last edited:

fta

Contributor
In the process of fixing this latest issue, crashplan decided for me that I didn't need my backup on their server anymore, and it is gone. No getting it back. However, I have now solved all of my crashplan issues... I got rid of that POS software. I'm now using hashbackup, which is a single executable and works great. It supports a whole bunch of destinations. I am backing up to Amazon S3. It maxes out my 10mbit upload connection (with dedup) vs the measly 2-3mbit I would get with crashplan. A bonus is this will cost me about half per month what crashplan was costing me.

Euro Bear

Cadet
I am running the latest 9.3-Stable release and I can't even get the CP to show up on the left hand side tree and as a result, I can't accept the EULA. I have tried re-installing it several times and restarted my server a few times but no luck. Anyone else has this issue?

Edit:
- Seems to be a bug with the latest release. I got the plugin to show up after installing some other random plugin...

Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
Anyone else having problems now with the GUI on the windows machine? My .ui_info file (located at C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info) is constantly being rewritten now and does not stay static. Before I change the port at the start to 4243 and it worked perfectly (after copying the token info). But it doesn't seem to be working now.

Everything on the Freenas side seems to be correct (and the plugin is showing as on).

Question on Port Forwarding:
I have seen that some people are talking about the tunneling and I tried that but can't get the Putty program to connect when I follow the instructions found Here

To be clear, I modified both my .ui_info file and ui.properties file to look to port 4200 and then made all the changes indicated above but it wouldn't connect. I also checked to be sure that the Freenas server was listening on port 4232 (which it was).

Also in the session setting, where it asked for the Host Name (or IP address) I put the ip address of the CrashPlan jail, but left Port 22.

Perhaps I need to copy the key from the Windows side to the server (which is what the instructions say but I am hesitant to do this because a) it was working before, and b) the windows side key seems to keep changing).

Thanks,
Andrew

EDIT:
So I never did get it to work by following the same steps. In the end I uninstalled CrashPlan on the Desktop and reinstalled it then fixed the .ui_info file and ui.properties file on the Desktop (no changes need on the server) and that did it. Go figure the version number of the headless didn't change at all.

Last edited:

Hi-Liter

Explorer
In the process of fixing this latest issue, crashplan decided for me that I didn't need my backup on their server anymore, and it is gone. No getting it back. However, I have now solved all of my crashplan issues... I got rid of that POS software. I'm now using hashbackup, which is a single executable and works great. It supports a whole bunch of destinations. I am backing up to Amazon S3. It maxes out my 10mbit upload connection (with dedup) vs the measly 2-3mbit I would get with crashplan. A bonus is this will cost me about half per month what crashplan was costing me.
I got really excited about hashbackup, since I am really fed up with fiddling around with CrashPlan every single time there is an update, but then I read the license info on the hashbackup website:
"HB will be sold under a commercial license, probably with a 30-day free trial and an annual fee of $250-450 per server." (http://www.hashbackup.com/license-source) :(

Does anyone know of a good alternative to CrashPlan? I really don't want to deal with its quirks any longer.

fta

Contributor
I got really excited about hashbackup, since I am really fed up with fiddling around with CrashPlan every single time there is an update, but then I read the license info on the hashbackup website:
"HB will be sold under a commercial license, probably with a 30-day free trial and an annual fee of $250-450 per server." (http://www.hashbackup.com/license-source) :(

Does anyone know of a good alternative to CrashPlan? I really don't want to deal with its quirks any longer.

Yeah, I didn't like that either. I've been in talks with the developer and urged him to offer a cheaper plan. Based on our conversation I believe that price is more for business users. He's still trying to figure out how to distinguish between a business and a home user.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options for freebsd. I will say that hashbackup works great. I'll take my chances that he'll do something affordable. Otherwise I'll be looking for a new option when he starts charging for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.