Crashplan forcing upgrade - then no longer works 3.6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

berd1921

Dabbler
How are peoples systems doing? I thought I was good to go, but I'm not sure. I'm able to connect from my desktop to the crashplan jail, however the desktop app shuts itself down after about 30 seconds and I'm still getting a lot of errors on freenas. My backup is still analyzing and hasn't actually started uploading yet. I have 10tb selected, but it appears to have been on the same folder "analyzing" for most of the day.

Oct 23 21:22:11 freenas kernel: linux: pid 83965 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:22:11 freenas kernel: linux: pid 83999 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:24:04 freenas kernel: linux: pid 86683 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:24:04 freenas kernel: linux: pid 86804 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:26:01 freenas kernel: linux: pid 87149 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:26:01 freenas kernel: linux: pid 87203 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented

kavefish

Cadet
This solution appears to be working for me as well. Thank you! Now I'm just waiting for it to connect to the backup servers and finish doing the initial backup. The initial backup was about 2.2 TB which has been running all summer. I only have 150 GB to go!

Had same problem.

Went into crashplan jail, started shell. edited the run.conf file

edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

Added -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider after the " and before the -Dfile...... in both the SRV_JAVA.. and GUI_JAVA... lines

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"

Saved the file
Stopped the crashplan jail
Started crashplan jail
Turned on the Crashplan plugin
Voila... I could connect with the client and backup started backup.

Still getting a few "linux: ...... syscall inotify_init not implemented" messages though.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Had same problem.

Went into crashplan jail, started shell. edited the run.conf file

edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

Added -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider after the " and before the -Dfile...... in both the SRV_JAVA.. and GUI_JAVA... lines

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"

Saved the file
Stopped the crashplan jail
Started crashplan jail
Turned on the Crashplan plugin
Voila... I could connect with the client and backup started backup.

Still getting a few "linux: ...... syscall inotify_init not implemented" messages though.
This does infact appear to work.

For those who find this confusing, this is EXACTLY what the file used to contain for me
SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx1024m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"

This is what the edited file now looks like
SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx1024m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"

Since I'm a window guy, I normally just copy the .conf file to a path I can see in Windows, edit the file with ultraedit / notepad++ and then save it, copy it back over the top, no need for unix based editing tools then.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This does infact appear to work.

For those who find this confusing, this is EXACTLY what the file used to contain for me

This is what the edited file now looks like

Since I'm a window guy, I normally just copy the .conf file to a path I can see in Windows, edit the file with ultraedit / notepad++ and then save it, copy it back over the top, no need for unix based editing tools then.
Careful using Windows to edit *nix files. Windows uses different line ending markers this can cause read issues when being used on none windows machine. It's probably OK but if something strange happens I would suspect that.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Careful using Windows to edit *nix files. Windows uses different line ending markers this can cause read issues when being used on none windows machine. It's probably OK but if something strange happens I would suspect that.

That's why notepad++ or ultraedit, normal notepad, not as smart.

grimer

Dabbler
I've edited the file according to the instructions given and restarted the jail. The plugin still won't start and the desktop GUI can't connect. I've also rebooted FreeNAS, but still the same problem.

Any ideas?

**** Edit ****

I'd neglected to leave a space between the end of the new command the the '-' symbol at the start of the new command. I corrected the error and crashplan is working again. Thanks to the people that found and posted this fix.

.....electorProvider -Dfile.........

Last edited:

Maverick

Dabbler
worked for me as well. thanks team

ethebubbeth

Cadet
How are peoples systems doing? I thought I was good to go, but I'm not sure. I'm able to connect from my desktop to the crashplan jail, however the desktop app shuts itself down after about 30 seconds and I'm still getting a lot of errors on freenas. My backup is still analyzing and hasn't actually started uploading yet. I have 10tb selected, but it appears to have been on the same folder "analyzing" for most of the day.

Oct 23 21:22:11 freenas kernel: linux: pid 83965 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:22:11 freenas kernel: linux: pid 83999 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:24:04 freenas kernel: linux: pid 86683 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:24:04 freenas kernel: linux: pid 86804 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:26:01 freenas kernel: linux: pid 87149 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
Oct 23 21:26:01 freenas kernel: linux: pid 87203 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented

I'm having the exact same issue. Have you had any resolution on this yet?

I already did the PollSelectorProvider fix in run.conf when the software updated itself. This started up a couple days ago.

ethebubbeth

Cadet
I've put in a ticket at crashplan for the service restarting every 9 minutes with "pid 83965 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented" error. We'll see what they say.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freebsd isn't a supported platform by them so I doubt they will care but it would be a nice to have.

Maverick

Dabbler
Agreed, i don't think the're going to care

ethebubbeth

Cadet
I'm rather impressed. I got a reply in about two hours. They stated that I was likely hitting the JVM memory limit for the crashplan server process. They cap it at 1GB by default. Apparently that is typically good for up to 1TB / 1 million files. Since my backup set was nearly 3 millions files and 1.6TB, I should Increase that limit to 3GB.

It's set in /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf within the jail. Change the -Xmx1024m to whatever value you need in the SRV_JAVA_OPTS section and restart the service.

Things appear to be working for me now, hopefully it will resolve it for you too.

fracai

Guru
Yeah, even though FreeBSD isn't supported, I've been surprised at their willingness to provide support. Granted, in this case they probably recognized your scenario and provided the platform agnostic solution, but they could have just as easily stated that BSD isn't supported and punted the problem.

Even though their native Mac (re: Java-less) client has been "in progress" for something like three years, I have hopes that they'll someday support BSD as well.

ethebubbeth

Cadet
Yeah, I figured they'd use the "this isn't supported" get out of jail free clause if I threw something abnormal their way.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hey I did the fix for the break in Crashplan plugin about 3 weeks back or whenever they broke it - but I just noticed today the plugin is broken again - anyone else?

cpts

Dabbler
Hey I did the fix for the break in Crashplan plugin about 3 weeks back or whenever they broke it - but I just noticed today the plugin is broken again - anyone else?

It's been working for me since I applied the fix last month, and I just upgraded to 9.3 and it's still working.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I misread something - it's all good. Thanks for response though.
Anyone know if the tutorial / how-to was updated?

Raven9810

Dabbler
So, CrashPlan is doing the same thing it was doing to me in October:

Last night I received an email from my FreeNas server security run output with this line:
linux: pid 80498 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented

After seeing the email this morning, I attempted to connect via my desktop CrashPlan GUI and received the "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry.

I opened up the run.conf file and saw that the lines I added in October were no longer there so I added them back.

RV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile............"

I saved the file, then stopped the crashplan jail, then started crashplan jail
I ensured that the Crashplan Plugin Service was still runnning and it was, so I attempted to connect with my client again and still nothing.

I decided to just restart the entire FreeNAS server. After it came back up, I attempted to use the CrashPlan Client again and it doesn't connect.

I don't know what happened last night with CrashPlan, but the fix that solved this problem for me before is not working this time.

Anyone else having issues with CrashPlan Plugin since late last night/this morning?

fracai

Guru
It looks like mine hadn't backed up in three days, so I'm guessing I've got the same issue.

I haven't had the time to look at it yet, but I'll report back of I find anything.

bluonek

Dabbler
So, CrashPlan is doing the same thing it was doing to me in October:

Anyone else having issues with CrashPlan Plugin since late last night/this morning?

Also having the same issue, stopped backing up to Crashplan Central 3 days ago. Must be the same issue and haven't figured out the root issue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.