Crashplan plugin - installation and update problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stualden

Explorer
I realize that there are already many postings on these (and many similar) issues, but some are pretty old and deal with outdated versions of FreeNAS and CrashPlan, so I thought I would post this again a) to help anyone who comes up the same problems and b) as a reminder that many problems previously described as fixed are actually still with us.

This is written as of 5/15/2015, with FreeNAS 9.3 and the current CrashPlan plugin (distributed as version 3.6.3 and currently at 4.2.0).

--I was unable to get the CrashPlan plugin to update - it remained "stuck" at 3.6.3. I tried pretty much everything, and eventually ripped it out and reinstalled (which got it moving). If anyone could provide some insight as to how the plugin actually updates itself, that would be great (e.g., does it update itself directly, or "through" the interface application that you're running on another box? Do any specific ports need to be open and forwarded on your firewall in order to permit the update to occur?)

--Upon re-installation, the CrashPlan log (the "History" viewer on the CrashPlan interface) showed that updating occurred immediately - right after startup, the log says "Upgrades available at central.crashplan.com:443"). Three updates (for versions 3.6.4, 3.7.0, and 4.2.0) were then downloaded in rapid succession. If you don't see this in the log, you may (like me) have big trouble in getting it to update ever, at all.

--It then proceeds to install the first update, and the service then rapidly starts and stops (2 or 3 times per minute) for about 10 minutes. The second update then installs, and the service once again starts and stops (in my case, for another 15 minutes). The third update then installs, and after that the service turns off. You can try to turn the service back on manually, but it will always shut itself off again within a few seconds.

--You shell into the jail and take a look at the file

usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

and you see that the option

-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider

has been stripped out of the beginning of both the SRV_JAVA_OPTS and GUI_JAVA_OPTS option lines. See this thread for the earliest description (I believe) of this:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-3-6-3.18416/#post-101205

--You put that option back at the beginning of both lines of the run.conf file, save it, and then immediately reboot FreeNAS. (At first I just tried to restart the Crashplan plugin. All that did was wipe out my changes. Others have reported success by editing run.conf from outside of the jail.)

--After that, all is well (fingers crossed).

CrashPlan seems like an excellent backup tool, so I hope to use it and rely on it, but unfortunately the plugin is not yet easy to use like the rest of FreeNAS.

Andrew076

Patron
I was unable to edit the "run.conf" file (and have the changes stay) until I stopped the service first (service crashplan stop) then I was able to get the edits to save when I rebooted the server.

dsfew32

Dabbler
It looks like if you install any old server plugin (3.6.3 for me) the crashplan plugin will continually update, stop (if it encounters an error), and overwrite any previous changes. This means that you'll have to repedately make changes to files (like /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf) if subsequent upgrades overwrite the file
  1. Run "jls" to list your jails. Note the JID (number) of the crashplan jail
  2. Run "jexec (JID of the crashplan jail) csh". For example, if the JID is 3, run "jexec 3 csh (or you can just run the following from the crashplan jail terminal in the GUI)
  3. Make your changes to "/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf" if necessary (your "-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider") above
  4. Run "service crashplan start"
  5. Watch the files in /var/log/crashplan (engine_error.log, engine_output.log). In particular check out the version on the line CPVERSION =
  6. Most likely the plugin will update, restart, overwrite the run.conf file and crash
  7. Repeat at #3 Until CPVERSION shows 4.2.0
You'll notice that the version changes 3.6.3 -> 3.7.0 -> 4.2.0 at each iteration. But once you hit the newest version it should run fine.

Slovak

Explorer
Just went through several iterations of upgrades and reboots, thinking the run.conf edits weren't taking effect - seems like each time I changed that file it was overwritten with the newer updated version.

If you are remotely connecting to headless CrashPlan via GUI, you can see the version on the Settings > Account page of the interface. See screen shot from Code42 support.

Now my problem is that the CrashPlan server only sees my local machines, but nothing outside of the network. The joys of auto upgrades.

stualden

Explorer
Dsfew32, my experience was different - all three version updates happened (albeit with long stretches of the service starting and stopping) before I needed to edit the run.conf. The bottom line, I guess, is "if it's not working, check and edit run.conf as needed."

Slovak, try logging out and back in on any of those out-of-network boxes. If they are properly registered with "Crashplan Central" and your plugin can communicate with Crashplan Central too, then it should be aware of all of your computers.

Slovak

Explorer
@stualden - Individual clients can see CrashPlan central, and FreeNAS can see CrashPlan central too. Not backing up to CP central, just doing clients to FreeNAS backups (computer to computer).

stualden

Explorer
But the clients can't see each other? Strange...

Slovak

Explorer
Only within the LAN. Nothing on the WAN. Clients can't see each other nor the CrashPlan server on FreeNAS. Had something like this in the past, it was an issue with their central system. May be an upgrade artifact.

danno

Dabbler
I wound up having to apply the run.conf fix today to get the headless connection to the FreeNAS plugin to work again (must have broke randomly on its own, because it didn't coincide with a FreeNAS update), and things appear to be back in operation. However, the Crashplan "Service Status" (within the Plugins tab of FreeNAS) has the red slider-bar showing the service is 'OFF'. Repeated attempts at turning the slider-bar to 'ON' keep reverting back to 'OFF' as soon as the tab view is refreshed. Not sure if adding another reboot for good measure would get make a difference, but I'm heading off to bed now. Just wondering if this is happening for anyone else applying the run.conf fix.

Andrew076

Patron
dsfew32,

How do you do "#5 Watch the files in /var/log/crashplan (engine_error.log, engine_output.log). In particular check out the version on the line CPVERSION ="

I assume you are referring to the Server side and not the window side.

Edit:
so I tried "ee /var/log/crashplan/engine_error.log" and "ee /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log" for good measure and it did open an file but I found nothing about CPVERSION = in the file. Also, on the PC side the it shows version 4.2. under the systems/account settings. I am not sure how to check that on the headless system side - the plugin says 3.6.3.

I did a reboot of the FreeNAS sever and it the Plugin showed that it was on BUT CP wasn't connecting.

So I stopped the service "service crashplan stop" and checked the config file to see if the -Djava.nio.channles..." edit was there and it was.

Restarted the service ("service crashplan start")
Then I checked the status ("/usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status") and it said it was on and the Plugin also showed that it was on, and the CrashPlan interface on the Windows machine also showed that it was backing up files. So yippee... it works?

So my final question relates to the discussion that has been occurring regarding the version. Several people in the posts above said that they couldn't get the plugin to update to 4.2. But then someone else showed referred to a screen shot located here which shows the interface on the PC side. That does show 4.2. for me, but the Plugin version shows 3.6.3_1 (under Plugins/Installed in the GUI). So, is this correct? Or do I need to continue to look for a solution to get the Plugin version to show 3.6.3_1?

Last edited:

Slovak

Explorer
Updating my previous post - as of 15 minutes ago, CrashPlan clients now see the FreeNAS server both on LAN and WAN. No changes to the configuration on either end. I believe this was an issue on CrashPlan's servers, which I have now experienced twice - each time after an upgrade.

hansmuff

Dabbler
My crashplan install went through the trials and tribulations as well. This thread has all the information I needed to get it back up and working, so thanks stualden and dsfew32!

The only minor thing I would like to add is that in-between steps 3 and 7 of dsfew32's instructions I had to add a server re-boot (probably also attainable with jail restart, not sure) after the client auto-updated to 4.2.0. Just start/stop of the service didn't get me over the very last hump.

Slovak

Explorer
3 1/2 days later I got the following response from CrashPlan support:
A server-side fix was deployed yesterday evening to resolve this Computer-to-Computer connectivity issue. Clients should have automatically connected after this fix was deployed. If your connection is not automatically established, please restart the CrashPlan service...​

Andrew076

Patron
Good grief... now what is going on. Crash Plan is not working AGAIN!

I checked my run.conf file
and it has the "Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider" language and the membory is set to 2048.

I stopped and started the service but it is still showing as not working and not connecting....

I checked the "ee /var/log/crashplan/engine_error.log" and it says:

/etc/host.conf: line 2: bad command 'hosts'
/etc/host.conf: line 3: bad command 'dns'

Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
Well that is weird... I didn't change or do anything other than what I stated above and today it is working again...

albiurs

Cadet
Thanks dsfew32 for the update how-to that worked for me!

Andrew076, try to set the memory limit back to 1024, I got errors when I tried to increase the limit. And by the way, my service shows to be turned off as well, although it's actually running and backing up properly!

Last edited:

thedeadzone

Dabbler
Tried reinstalling 3 times now, plugin never wants to update. Any ideas how to get it to update itself ?

travanx

Explorer

RoboKaren

Contributor
I had the hosts/dns problem with the Crashplan plugin and decided to reboot a few times and it solved itself. Looks like the Crashplan self-updater has some kinks they need to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.