CrashPlan - Use the Plugin or do it yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasquale61

Explorer
I ran into something this morning which caused an error in the CrashPlan GUI that said "CrashPlan destination unavailable - you have an older version." My headless client is on version 3.6.4 and the plugin is on 3.6.3. It's been running like this for a while so I'm not sure what triggered this error all of a sudden. I had no way (that I know of at least) to upgrade the plugin, or downgrade the headless GUI client. I was essentially stuck not being able to backup. I managed to get out of the mess by recreating my CrashPlan guid and going through the adoption process, which thankfully saved me from having to re-upload 1.3Tb to the their servers.

I really like the simplicity of the plugin concept, but I'm curious how most other FreeNAS users are using CrashPlan. Do you run the plugin, or do you run it in a Virtualbox VM, or your own jail, or something else?

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I use the plugin. I have looked into rolling my own jail using the ports tree to install crashplan. It's fairly easy and requires the linux.ko module to be loaded in freeNas. The plugin has always worked for me except for when it gets updated and some of the plugin info gets overwritten, this issues has been fixed in recent versions of crashplan in ports.

Pasquale61

Explorer
Thanks for the help! I'll keep going with the plugin while continuing to learn more about how jails work.

Status
Not open for further replies.