Install of FreeNAS 9.2.0 stuck in reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricKerby

Cadet
I updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS and still see the exact same behavior. :(
How long have you given it for new installs when booting? I know that new installs take a bit longer than normal to boot up. But if you waited more than 10 minutes or so then you definitely waited long enough.
After displaying Updating motd and before mentioning nptd, the system reboots by itself. It is not a matter of me waiting while the system is hung, but repeatedly hitting something in the boot sequence that causes an immediate reboot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, it's not stuck, it just reboots.

Yeah, I got nothing. All I can say is "it works for me". :(

Some AMD motherboards don't work quite right with FreeBSD. And 9.1 to 9.2 is a new kernel with new drivers, so things may have been broken for you with the update.

EricKerby

Cadet
I figure it has to do in some way with the FreeBSD/kernel update. Perhaps I should try to boot a FreeBSD 9.2 installer or live CD to see if the same issue occurs. Then I could pursue the issue upstream.

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
Hello, i have the same issue with 1 of my freenas. It's an AMD Sempron. If you have more news, let me know, 9.1.1 works w/o issues.

EricKerby

Cadet
ShinobiX9X, sorry to hear you have the same issue (though happy to hear I wasn't the only victim). I had a second system on hand with a newer (still AMD-based) motherboard/processor, so I was able to swap out some components and get FreeNAS 9.2.0 up and running. To save money, I'm returning the Intel NIC's since the Realtek's are working fine. The issue seems to be something related to either the motherboard or processor I was using since I re-used all my other components.

apes1205

Cadet
I'm facing the same problem on AMD Athlon x2 with GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard. I have disconnected everything from motherboard except USB stick and it still goes into reboot loop. I have to power it down for a few seconds to stop it.
Tried tempering with bios, but to no avail.
FreeNAS works fine on my old intel PC, but there are only 2 sata ports.

ZarK

Dabbler
I to am having this issue, but only on my AMD Chipset based mainboards:

Failed with reboot loop:
Asus M2A-VM
MSI K9A2 Platinum ver 1.0
HP Pavillion dv2 amd netbook (for sheets and giggles)

Works:
HP Nvidia AMD CPU mini-itx
HP Pavillion Intel Core 2 Duo
Sony AMD Fusion Netbook with newer amd chipset

So, My guess is something with the Older AMD Southbridge chipset (or north bridge I suppose)

Is there any logs or way to stop it from restarting to peruse the screen text?

Also, Fresh install on an 8gb sd card or 9.2.0 RC 64bit downloaded yesterday.

ZarK

Dabbler
Nope.

Is there a way to read a log or something before it reboots?

pagan

Cadet

Hello Everybody
I have the same problem since starting 9.2
Same Problem freenas 9.2.1.3 64 bit
Infinite reboot somewhere at nptd. At least this is the last thing I see

Watchdog is disabled. No Change.
m3a ucc
amd x250
16 GB Memory
Latest bios

Any more ideas?

regards pagan

dazealex

Cadet
I have the same issue with the reboots using FreeNAS 9.2.1.6. My hardware is:

ASUS M2A-VM
AMD BE2350 CPU
6 GB RAM
Latest BIOS

I had to resort to using FreeNAS 9.1.1 which works fine. Only complaint is that I can't get Owncloud (jail plugin) working on it.

Any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, but if you really want Owncloud you could do your own install using one of our guides for setting up Owncloud. ;)

pagan

Cadet
Hello Everybody
I have the same problem since starting 9.2
Same Problem freenas 9.2.1.3 64 bit
Infinite reboot somewhere at nptd. At least this is the last thing I see

Watchdog is disabled. No Change.
m3a ucc
amd x250
16 GB Memory
Latest bios

Any more ideas?

regards pagan

Hello

I got it working.

Here a step by step how I arrived there. No why and but. It is just how I resolved the problem.

-Made a backup from my old system.
-Installed the 9.2.1.6 on a stick. After the reboot it went to infinite.....
-Booted the old system
-plugged the new usb stick in it and mounted the new root filesystem into a directory in /tmp
-comment two entries newroot/etc/rc.conf
# Watchdog daemon
#watchdogd_enable="YES"
# Turbo boost
#performance_cpu_freq="HIGH"​
I found the performance _cpu_freq flag only on my intel i7 system and on AMD it was missing.
-Shutdown and booted the new USB Stick. (Twice just to be sure). Working.
-Restored the config and that was it. Up and running
Missing test. Re-enable the watchdog.

I had to uninstall and reinstall some apps in the jails

Hope that helps to one or another.

Cheers
pagan

peergo

Cadet
Hi,

I am having exactly same issue over here. Originally I thought it was issue of NIC only, so I invested 20 Euro to buy new Intel Pro1000. But to my surprise in the upgrade via GUI (I went from 9.1.1 to 9.2.8) ended up in infinite boot loop. This is first thread I found where it indicates it may be issue of MoBo. I also use ASUS M2A-VM.
Having just very basic skills in Unix/Linux word I need a bit of the help.
I believe that I understood most of it in principal but my skills aren't there :)
Would you pls advice how did you mounted new file system into tmp/ - step by step for dummies?

And maybe one question to development team: Is there any chance that you would fix this one issue in any of upcoming releases?

Cheers,

Peergo

Last edited:

ZarK

Dabbler
I found a fix!

Help here has been terrible and this bug is in every version in 9.x.I went searching for anothplatfor

Nas4free works very well with the amd chipsets!

Abandon freenas because it sucks! And the reboot loop does not write any logs AFAIK.

Use nas4fres.

Status
Not open for further replies.