Supermicro X10SLM-F: Applied firmware and bios out of order, now stuck in reboot loop. Help!

I bought a Supermicro X10SLM-F off ebay and it had a very old firmware and bios. I mistakenly updated the firmware first through IPMI, then tried to update bios. I rebooted and am caught in an infinite reboot loop, it never makes it to even the BIOS options, nor letting me boot from USB.
The problem is that once the bios got to 100% it was stuck there. Doing some research, I found this Supermicro FAQ which says this about a reboot

This [reboot loop] is due to using a newer IPMI firmware with an older Bios. The Bios needs to be updated first. Please either disable the IPMI by setting the JPB1 jumper to pins 2-3 and then update the Bios using a bootable USB flash drive, then enable the IPMI be setting the JPB1 jumper to pins 1-2. Or if you have the OOB remote Bios update license, shut down the system and update the Bios using the IPMI remote interface.

I looked up my manual, and it says to change jumper JPB1 from 1-2 to 2-3 to disable IPMI/BMC. The schematic shows it's location:

1566368072623.png

Problem is, my motherboard doesn't even have this jumper.. it's missing!

1566368087821.png

Looking again at the manual, the photo they provide even shows that it's missing which matches my board, so my board isn't an anomaly or defective:

1566368111905.png

How the heck do I solve this? My server is dead in the water.

Jessep

Patron
If you can get to the IPMI interface you can flash the BIOS from there if you have a license to do so.
https://store.supermicro.com/out-of-band-sft-oob-lic.html

I think I got mine from a different place for a bit cheaper.

That's how I originally attempted the bios update. I did it out of order as I mentioned.. I did firmware first, then bios update which was a mistake because apparently the firmware update changed the way it upgrades the BIOS and incompatible with older BIOS.

GBillR

Contributor
Since you just need to short pin 2 to 3, I would try two ideas: 1 - try a generous line of graphite pencil lead between the two solder points, or 2 - break out a solder iron and solder a short piece of wire between the two points... and cut it off once done.

I am surprised you can't use the update via IPMI with a license though... I thought that should work for you.

Okay, I got this resolved!

I shorted Pin 2 and 3 using a flat head screw driver while I booted. I was able to get past POST and boot to my USB Key that was prepped to run DOS using Rufus.
I then ran the bios update from the DOS prompt using the AMI.bat file.

I rebooted, and it continually looped again. I shorted the pins again, got past POST and then got into bios and did a "reset". Rebooted and everything worked, no more looping.

I then went back into bios and setup my bios options how i like and i'm set.

Jessep

Patron
When you updated your BIOS, did you clear all check boxes referring to keeping settings? i.e. did you completely wipe your BIOS settings to default during the update process?

If not that may have been your issue all along, as in the end what corrected your error was a BIOS reset to default.

If you had settings in use that the new BIOS changed, attempting to maintain them during update could easily cause your symptoms.

stajo

Explorer
I am also stuck in a loop where IPMI resets and loops initialization. Here is how the Readme for the X9DRW8_913 bios update starts :

Notice:
================================================

"Before upgrading BIOS to version 2.0, you must update the IPMI firmware to version 2.0 or later first."

So I did this by downloading the SMM_X9_2_77 BMC flash files, did the flash from a dos bootable USB-stick and after some 20 minutes it had flashed the BMC.

After restart I cannot access the BIOS anymore. IPMI just resets and starts a loop. I have also tried SUPER.ROM boot recovery and bios update from IPMI web interface without success. I came to the conclusion that my X9DRW-iF is now ready for the electronic scrap container because of Supermicros clearly stupid instructions.

Disabling BMC with JPB1 just makes the beep patterns att bootup different, it doesnt take me to any POST process.

Last edited:

Dwayneson

Dabbler
Hey guys, I am trying to update my Supermicro X11SSM-F Bios Version 1.0a to the latest version. I have heard IPMI is the easiest way to go. Can someone please help me out with how to do this or point me to a guide? I can't find anything that seems relevant for doing it on my freenas server.
Thank you in advance.

Redcoat

MVP
Last edited:

Dwayneson

Dabbler
See page 2-132

Alternatively go here https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.aspx and enter your model number to get the BIOS and instructions.

Maybe look around while you are there for all the resources for your motherboard...
Hey Redcoat,

Thank you for your reply. I got the latest version of the BIOS and updated it using a bootable USB because I just didn't understand IPMI.

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards