SOLVED Cannot install from USB - FreeNAS 9.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

inadaze

Cadet
Hi,
I have been trying to install FreeNAS 9.2.0 64-bit from a USB 2G drive and I have not had any success. Originally I created the stick from Windows and I was getting a black screen with :

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
etc...

And the "#" symbol running mad on screen. I found a few posts that suggested changing the PC's BIOS so that the USB emulator would be "Hard Drive" instead of "Floppy". That didn't work.

So I found another post saying that they succeeded when they created the USB stick from Linux instead or Windows. I tried that and now I get a new Black screen. Looks like a command prompt for BusyBox.

Any idea what I can do? I am a Noob to this and I am not sure if it is my Hardware that is causing issues or it's configuration or my lack of experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_213136.jpg
    IMG_20140126_213136.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 420
Last edited by a moderator:

TheSmoker

Patron
That is not a FreeNAS boot sequence. You are booting the wrong os. That'a an ubuntu.

inadaze

Cadet
That's what I feared but I am not sure why that is. I used the FreeNAS iso to create the USB stick. I have the USB drive first in the boot order. It must be booting one of the hard drives within the PC.

If I resume creating the USB drive from Windows (when I was getting the # symbol) at least at this point I know it is attempting to boot the USB with FreeNAS on it. How can I solve that error? I have tried all the BIOS configuration changes suggested. Is the only way to create a DVD install?

turbolax

Cadet
Ok I solved it. I followed the instructions outlined here :

They describe using Physdiskwrite to make the USB from Windows :

http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

works now.
Hello and thanks a lot, that helped me !
I install FreeNAS on an x86 architecture and can't have install screen. I built an USB key using physdiskwrite and the *.usb image file and it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.