SOLVED Can't install from CD or USB image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger35

Dabbler
Dell Optiplex 755
INTEL E6550, 2.33, 4MB Core Duo
3-WD Black 500GB HD's
3GB RAM I have (8GB on its way)
BIOS A19
Nothing funky in the BIOS

FreeNAS CD IMG 9.2.1.7 x64
16GB PNY USB Stick

I can boot from the CD IMG and I see some errors when booting. I'll try and get those if I can. I select the PNY USB Stick and this is what I get.
dell1.jpg

dell2.jpg

dell3.jpg

dell5.jpg

dell6.jpg

Error at the bottom of this screen shot. Operation not permitted?
dell8.jpg

dell7.jpg

error.jpg

I have tried several other USB sticks and same issue. I have even tried the USB IMG and it will not boot up. See nothing to boot from.

I have even tried to write to one of HD's to see if it worked and No go..

Where is this pc-sysinstall.log that it is referencing in the error?

I hope the screen shots help I have been knocking myself out trying to figure this one out.

theDogger

D

dlavigne

What utility did you use to burn the ISO? Did you try another burn at a lower speed?

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok I burned the CD with Nero and tried at 16x and 8x,
(FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64.iso)

I tried to write the image to the USB a few different ways and different USB sticks all 8G or better. (I know that its set to boot to USB and the stick that I am trying to use works as I had to re-install Win7 real quick in order to flash the BIOS from A19 to A22.)

I would use HDD Low Level Format Tool to wipe the USB stick first and I have tried Physdiskwrite and Win32 Disk Imager.
(FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64.img.xz)
As of last night I got the USB img to kind of boot, got the follow before just hanging
img1.jpg

I am re-downloading the both the iso and img to try again. Now that I am fresh today and looking at it something is wrong with the img on the USB

theDogger

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok downloaded the USB img again and did a LowLevelFormat of the USB stick and used Physdiskwrite to write img and still same issue...any BIOS settings to look at. If I use anything but RAID/AHCI system will not find a bootable device.

Any thoughts?

theDogger

gpsguy

Using the ISO works best for most uses. You can do the install to the flash drive using any computer. Try doing it this way on another computer.

After installing the OS using a different computer, see if you can boot FreeNAS on that one. This will ensure that your flash drive is indeed bootable.

At this point we can't tell whether the problem is with your flash drive, insufficient RAM issues, or some other problem with your hardware.

Have you searched the FreeNAS forum for the model number for your Dell? Has anyone else run into issues with it?

Sent from my phone

Dogger35

Dabbler
OK used Alcohol to burn a new iso and that seemed to work and get the USB setup now on reboot I get this error

booterror1.jpg

Any thoughts?

theDogger

diedrichg

Wizard
Maybe it's because the 3GB of memory?

gpsguy

Yes, it could be the problem.

My guess, is that the problem is either hardware or the flash drive still isn't usable.

Maybe it's because the 3GB of memory?

@theDogger - please try booting the flash drive in another machine to test it. If that doesn't work, burn the ISO to a real CD (no alcohol tricks). Boot it in another machine that has a CD-Rom, install FreeNAS to the flash drive there and test it there.

If you've been using the same flash drive, try a different one, preferably a quality one.

For yucks, I just installed 9.2.1.7 x64 from an ISO in a VM with 8Gb of RAM. I lowered the memory down to 3Gb and it boot okay. I shut it down and lowered it to 2Gb and it boot again. Now, running it with insufficient memory can cause all sorts of odd/random problems, but you don't seem to be getting that far.

btw, are you using onboard video? If so, reduce the video memory to the lowest you can go.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
3GB should bootup fine (as gpsguy also validated). I'm thinking your USB stick isn't good for FreeNAS. I don't consider PNY to be "name brand". It could also just be flat outbroken. Try a corsair or kingston.

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok I was able to find more RAM and I have 6GB in it now and went through the re-install again and halts at the same screen

theDogger

gpsguy

Have you read my messages and tried following my advice?

gpsguy

Did you try booting to the flash drive on the other computer, as I have suggested several times.

Yes booted on my main computer to the iso burned with Alcohol and wrote a new USB stick (Patriot 16gb) and then tried booting on the Dell with the new USB and same screen.

Dogger35

Dabbler
Did you try booting to the flash drive on the other computer, as I have suggested several times.
Ok just tried and it boot further and then hangs after getting the IP.......

I tried run the fsck -fy and it errors with
booterror2.jpg

thanks for all the help I guess I am out to buy a new USB stick and see if that resolves the issue.
I'll post shortly, I know all this hassle will be worth it.

theDogger

Dogger35

Dabbler
Ok no go bought a 8g SanDisk THumb and same issue.....not able to run FSCK -fy.

Going to try and boot the new USB on my main PC and see what happens.

theDogger

Dogger35

Dabbler
Wow was this painful. I started unplugging HD's and checked them on my main system. Two were not formatted and another had several partitions (NTFS). Deleted all the partitions and formatted all 3 in FAT32. Re-installed the drives booted and crossed the fingers and it booted this time and got an IP.

Now able to access the WebGUI and I am on my way to setting this up. I guess that I was under the error was referencing the USB not the HD's.

Thanks to everyone and this issue is fixed. Now to get the volumes setup and the shares set and media server plugin installed and media moved over

theDogger

diedrichg

Wizard
Ah! NTFS strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.