How to install the MXGE driver in FreeNAS?

kumarmvnk

Explorer
I downloaded directly to my desktop used 7unzip and from the boot/kernel taken the same and moved then into the freenas using FileZilla by connecting as root user.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No no no ... install a running working FreeBSD system, then copy the modules from there. Filezilla is fine for that. That was my intention all along. Not copy from the downloaded CD image but install a working machine ...

kumarmvnk

Explorer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why don't you install FreeBSD in a VM - Virtualbox is free for Windows, Mac, Linux ... because you might need to update this FreeBSD machine, then try again. Best to have two machines up and running.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Interesting I have tried three aspects

1) Did another clean install of 11.3 - (https://download.freenas.org/11.3/STABLE/U3/x64/ timestamp19-May-2020 14:08 ) - so that atleast i can check if my card is working or collect the 5 mxge modules from that. I could not find any

2) I tried Virtualbox - installed "VirtualBox-6.1.8-137981-Win" (based on a latest utube guidance i see the only difference is i keep getting 32bit despite i have a windows pro 64bit cpu and OS) & tried loading "FreeBSD-11.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso" - but no luck says errror.

3) in Freenas i noticed Virtual Machine as per example in docs Fig. 17.1.2 Creating a Sample Virtual Machine
Now i have FreeBSD VM installed however in VNC i dont see anything ..

Back to square one ,,, i got the Card working not sure which version 11.3 which release..

kumarmvnk

Explorer
I could succesfully set up a VM on my Windows PC.
I can also see the required FreeBSD 11.3 missing mxge Kernel files in the Virtual Machine as i used VMWare Workstation 12.0 and installed FreeBSD.

However i am not able to transfer the files via Filezilla ? or any other method is much appreciated ??

Attachments

• vmware.gif
    vmware.gif
    337.9 KB · Views: 181

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From the VM, try scp to your FreeNAS. scp /boot/kernel/*mxge* root@<your FreeNAS IP>:/boot/kernel

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Sam
It says Network not reacheable. However i can putty it and login which is in yellow

Attachments

• scp.png
    scp.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 196

Samuel Tai

Are you using NAT or bridge mode on the VM?

kumarmvnk

Explorer
NAT

Samuel Tai

That's the problem. Shut down the VM, and switch to bridge mode. You should be able to reach your FreeNAS server then.

Samuel Tai

Once the files are over, remember to chmod ugo+rx *mxge* and chown root:wheel *mxge*.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
the Bridge did not work ..wondering that the install did not go right as i was unable to even ping the freenas !!

I had identified the issue i did nto use DHCP and network defaulted to NAT again , so i re-installed a fresh FreeBSD 11.3 and just used your commands.

Its copied with no issues. I am also attaching the snaps for any other Newbie's like me can just follow what you have detailed me thanking you Samuel. Big step for me on this...

After Reboot ..still the 10G lan Card does not show

I check the permissions its just like others ...again pic attached

I also had the Loder.conf & tunables as

if_mxge_load="YES"
mxge_ethp_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_eth_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_rss_eth_z8e_load="YES"

Now wonder what ??

Attachments

• SCP success.png
    SCP success.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 174
  • file permissions.png
    file permissions.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 197

Samuel Tai

Please provide a dmesg from your last reboot, to see if it complained about the mxge kos.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
root@MVNKnas[~]# dmesg | grep -i mxge
module mxge_ethp_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_eth_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_rss_eth_z8e_fw already present!
module_register: cannot register pci/mxge from kernel; already loaded from if_mxge.ko
Module pci/mxge failed to register: 17

Not sure that is 17 ??

Samuel Tai

OK, that means all the mxge* modules are built-in the kernel, and the ones you moved over are redundant. Try removing them, verifying your tunables, and rebooting. Please provide the dmesg after the reboot to ensure the mxge modules loaded.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Just to be clear ..I have theLoader.conf with these 5 module loading.,..secondly the tunables..is that the compaint? or
is the kernel builtin... then why did it not work earlier ??

Also i had no update on the Bug raised just tunred as low priority :(

Samuel Tai

OK, I misunderstood. Erase the entries from loader.conf, and only use the tunables. That's why dmesg complained about the modules being already present. Reboot again, and see if the mxge modules loaded: kldstat | grep mxge.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
After only loader reference removed. & with Tunables all 5..

module mxge_eth_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_ethp_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_rss_eth_z8e_fw already present!
module mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_fw already present!
module_register: cannot register pci/mxge from kernel; already loaded from if_mxge.ko

root@MVNKnas[~]# kldstat | grep mxge
10 1 0xffffffff82bf4000 16c40 if_mxge.ko

===============> Still the same..so removed the 4 except if_mxge_load="YES" tunable

10 1 0xffffffff82bf4000 16c40 if_mxge.ko
root@MVNKnas[~]#

===============> removed tunable if_mxge_load="YES" too

also attaching dmesg

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    23.7 KB · Views: 206

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If kldload complains the module was already loaded, but kldstat doesn't show it, the reason is most probably, that iX decided to compile the driver into the kernel.

If that is the case, then your card is simply not supported by the mxge(4) driver.

@kumarmvnk could you please double check your card is one of these listed in the manpage:
Code:
Myricom 10GBase-CX4 (10G-PCIE-8A-C, 10G-PCIE-8AL-C)
Myricom 10GBase-R (10G-PCIE-8A-R, 10G-PCIE-8AL-R)
Myricom 10G XAUI over ribbon fiber (10G-PCIE-8A-Q, 10G-PCIE-8AL-Q)

If this is an onboard device, check if it is enabled. If none of this works, pciconf -lv should give you more output than you ever asked for and should give some hints.