AOC-STGN-I2S-O-P driver compiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzsche

Cadet
Hi all,
I just downloaded and installed the FreeNAS 9.1.1 (64-bit) on my storage server (SuperMicro) and everything is going smoothly and perfect, I've even restored my previous config file that I had from the 8.3 release!

My issue is that I just bought a new 10 GB NIC and connect it to the PCI express in the server but the FreeNAS didn't recognise it and I tried the driver that came in CD with the NIC but no luck till now!

The NIC is (AOC-STGN-I2S-O-P), and when I searched in the Internet I found some instruction how to compile and install the driver but nothing seams to work since everything on the flash memory that the FreeNAS is installed on is READ-ONLY! and no "make load" command was found!

Please can you guide me how to compile this driver and install it, I'm a RedHat guy I never worked on Freebsd before I thought well, it's Unix how hard it could be, but I was wrong :)

Thank you.

NIC.jpg

nietzsche

Cadet
Thank you dlavigne, I've created an account there & posted the issue with the driver and the guide.
But isn't there any way that I can install the driver myself quickly? cuz the storage is up and online now and I need to improve the network speed now before it get crowded with clients.
or, If there is any one here that manage to install Fibre 10GB pcix NIC on FreeNAS successfully without any drivers had to be installed or any tweaking (just plug & play) could you provide me with model of the card he used? or a list of Fibre NICs that FreeNAS known to support?

Thank you.

D

dlavigne

The ideal situation is to include it in FreeNAS--that way the build can be tested and the now included driver benefits other users.

The impatient could compile the driver on a FreeBSD system running the same version and architecture as FreeNAS, copy the resulting .ko over, and load it as a Tunable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, if you recompile FreeNAS and include the driver. Considering that you don't know that, it is far less likely you'll be able to compile the driver yourself. :(

There's some guides in the forum for trying to recompile FreeNAS yourself. Many have tried, few have succeeded. And even fewer can figure out how to add a driver.

My advice would be to buy another NIC that you are sure is compatible with FreeNAS and use that instead. Your new NIC will probably arrive in the mail before you manage to get the drivers working for FreeNAS. This is exactly what 99% of users end up doing because recompiling FreeNAS with a new driver is far from trivial, and if you haven't done it before you definitely have an uphill battle. It took me three 12 hour days to figure out how to successfully recompile FreeNAS without errors, and several more days to make some driver changes and then recompile FreeNAS with those changes. Those are days I worked on nothing else except recompiling FreeNAS.

nietzsche

Cadet
Thank you cyberjock.
So is there a list of supported 10GB Fibre NICs by FreNAS 9 or even 8 release?
I might consider buying a new one for the time being and leave this one till the developers compile it in new kernel.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know Intel stuff has excellent driver support. I'd try to find an Intel NIC, see if there's any open tickets for that model or anyone in the forum that has used that model and buy it if it looks supported. Not all drivers for all NICs are included in FreeNAS. So more than likely, if you are buying anything except the absolute newest generation of Intel NICs, then support is pretty much guaranteed.

That's the best advice I can give. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.