How to install the MXGE driver in FreeNAS?

kumarmvnk

Explorer
It says "
kldload: can't load if_mxge: No such file or directory "

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I just checked with my FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 and, yes - no if_mxge.ko there.
So your best approach is probably a bug ticket in ixSystems' JIRA. The driver is part of FreeBSD in 11.3 and 12.1 so there is no reason why the module should not be in FreeNAS.

For a short term fix: install a stock FreeBSD 11.3 somewhere and copy all the modules over.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
I just checked with my FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 and, yes - no if_mxge.ko there.
So your best approach is probably a bug ticket in ixSystems' JIRA. The driver is part of FreeBSD in 11.3 and 12.1 so there is no reason why the module should not be in FreeNAS.

For a short term fix: install a stock FreeBSD 11.3 somewhere and copy all the modules over.

Thanks, CAn i use the latest 12.1 ? or need 11.3 only? Can you please point me to the right folder ?
also is it FreeBSD-11.3-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso ?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need the FreeBSD matching your FreeNAS kernel version.
Code:
root@freenas-pmh[~]# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas-pmh.local 11.3-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p9 #0 r325575+c153e5c9a38(HEAD): Wed May 20 16:09:43 EDT 2020     root@mp20.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

So in my case that would be FreeBSD 11.3 ...

Any yes, you can use that image to install if the target VM or machine is connected to the Internet. If it is offline, you would need ...disk1.iso

kumarmvnk

Explorer
You need the FreeBSD matching your FreeNAS kernel version.
Code:
root@freenas-pmh[~]# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas-pmh.local 11.3-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p9 #0 r325575+c153e5c9a38(HEAD): Wed May 20 16:09:43 EDT 2020     root@mp20.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

So in my case that would be FreeBSD 11.3 ...

Any yes, you can use that image to install if the target VM or machine is connected to the Internet. If it is offline, you would need ...disk1.iso
IS the code you sent is it to get directly into freenas? also i am unable to connect to internet not sure why - I am saying this because i tried to change the NTP server details from 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org to 0.uk.pool.ntp.org.. bt says "Server could not be reached. Check "Force" to continue regardless "

Also "Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/trains.txt: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings " when trying to know if there is an update ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need a prompt/shell on your FreeNAS and then type uname -a<ENTER>. That will tell you the FreeBSD version as shown above. The second line is the output of that command on my system.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
You need a prompt/shell on your FreeNAS and then type uname -a<ENTER>. That will tell you the FreeBSD version as shown above. The second line is the output of that command on my system.
oooh sorry ..

FreeBSD MVNKnas.local 11.3-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p9 #0 r325575+c153e5c9a38(HEAD): Wed May 20 16:11:04 EDT 2020 root@mp20.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64-DEBUG amd64

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Please advise where i need to copy the FreeBSD 11.3 modules to ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
/boot/kernel

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Great I copied \\FreeBSD\boot\kernel\ all about 876 modules "*.KO" to /boot/kernel with an override of newer files.

- Did a Reboot of Freenas
- however the kldstat did not show if_mxge.ko
I checked

root@MVNKnas[/boot/kernel]# ls if_mxge.ko
if_mxge.ko
root@MVNKnas[/boot/kernel]# kldload if_mxge.ko
kldload: if_mxge.ko is not in the module path

where do i set module path ? as the Loader.conf has the below

# Possible kernel module locations
module_path="/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/usr/local/modules"

Am i missing something /

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
kldload if_mxge

And who told you to copy all of the FreeBSD modules? You should of course only have added the missing mxge ones. You will probably have to reinstall your FreeNAS, but first let's get this interface detected.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
kldload if_mxge

And who told you to copy all of the FreeBSD modules? You should have course only have added the missing mxge ones. You will probably have to reinstall your FreeNAS, but first let's get this interface detected.
Patrick M. Hausen
FreeNAS Expert

@10:55 earlier today

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Copy all the missing modules for your specific hardware. Sorry, I thought that was evident.

kumarmvnk

Explorer
No worries i just re-installed FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 . Its my learning Curve long since been hands-on .. :(

I shall take a copy of the folder and copy & figure a way to just copy or try to see how i can load all other excet an override !!

But Thanks PMH & Sam :) I am yet to load the data into the pool ...

My wish list is to have

1) 10g Lan working
2) Figure how best i can share my home videos with family in india :) I suppose DDNS ..need to figure that out..

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The modules you need to copy over are listed in this post already:

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Yes i have created each one as a loader tunable ..
if_mxge_load="YES"
mxge_ethp_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_eth_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_load="YES"
mxge_rss_eth_z8e_load="YES"

1590778602539.png

After reboot ...

it says wrong kernel.

I suppose its not liking the transfer from windows or some permission maybe ?

Now i am unable to boot as it say booting after the wrong kernel messages and i was trying to give chmod 777 on these files ... Sorry messing it up multiple times :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use ssh and scp to copy this stuff around. Again I thought this was obvious, because someone messing with kernel modules will have a good understanding of Unix already? No? Sorry, not meant as an insult, I really assumed you were familiar with all this.

So, ssh is the command line tool you use to login from one Unix system to another one, scp copies files via the same transport mechanism. Login to your VM (I assume your FreeBSD is a VM), then e.g.

cd /boot/kernel; scp if_mxge.ko <ip of your freenas>:/boot/kernel

Read up on these tools or we will be getting nowhere. Then on the FreeNAS try to kldload the module, If that works, repeat for all the other ones.
If it still says "wrong kernel" your FreeBSD version does not match the FreeBSD in your FreeNAS. You might have to upgrade your FreeBSD to 11.3-p9 first. This can be done with freebsd-update.

You want to fiddle in an unsupported way with the intestines of a Unix system? Congrats, you are Unix system administrator now. Now hone those skills ...

Kind regards,
Patrick

P.S. It might be easier to get a supported 10GE card ...

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Use ssh and scp to copy this stuff around. Again I thought this was obvious, because someone messing with kernel modules will have a good understanding of Unix already? No? Sorry, not meant as an insult, I really assumed you were familiar with all this.

So, ssh is the command line tool you use to login from one Unix system to another one, scp copies files via the same transport mechanism. Login to your VM (I assume your FreeBSD is a VM), then e.g.

cd /boot/kernel; scp if_mxge.ko <IP of your freenas>:/boot/kernel

Read up on these tools or we will be getting nowhere. Then on the FreeNAS try to kldload the module, If that works, repeat for all the other ones.
If it still says "wrong kernel" your FreeBSD version does not match the FreeBSD in your FreeNAS. You might have to upgrade your FreeBSD to 11.3-p9 first. This can be done with freebsd-update.

You want to fiddle in an unsupported way with the intestines of a Unix system? Congrats, you are Unix system administrator now. Now hone those skills ...

Kind regards,
Patrick

P.S. It might be easier to get a supported 10GE card ...

Patrick,
Sure I shall try that. However I use desktop to freenas and work with this self built spec.

supermicro mbd-x10sra-f motherboard
Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3 14-core/28 thread 2GHz 120W LGA2011-3
Kingston 4x16GB RDIMM DDR4 2400MHz(However CPU uses it as 2133mhz)
PCIE x 4 card based NVME WD Black 500Gb

However the GPU - ATI RADEON HD 4850 GDDR3 1GB VIDEO GRAPHICS CARD - did not show up
left aside ..

I used to do hands-n testing with Unix / Aix / Mainframes / Java / .Net Pearl/ Python / AWK SED & Pearl scripts so just use the commands and forget as its been atleast 10 years using it hands-on... Just using tools and commands given by developers...

However now I don't have a VM but use Putty / Filezilla & run just Freenas... so i shall try the VM as need to figure out how to install & use SSH as ou suggested .

Thanks though.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you don't have a VM then where did you install that stock FreeBSD to subsequently copy over the modules? You need to install a FreeBSD machine, then ssh into that, then copy the modules from there to you FreeNAS ...