How to install the MXGE driver in FreeNAS?

kumarmvnk

Explorer
nope kldstat does show as below.
Present only 1 tunables as ------ if_mxge_load="YES" removed the FOUR "already present" modules

module mxge_eth_z8e_fw already present! (now removed Tunable)
module mxge_ethp_z8e_fw already present! (now removed Tunable)
module mxge_rss_eth_z8e_fw already present! (now removed Tunable)
module mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_fw already present! (now removed Tunable)

root@MVNKnas[~]# kldstat | grep mxge
10 1 0xffffffff82bf4000 16c40 if_mxge.ko

so the driver is loaded, so definitely the driver worked and my card Myricom-10G-PCIE2-8C2-T-2T was/is supported.

I had this up and running in one of the below
FreeNAS-11.3-RELEASE
FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1

FreeNAS-11.3-U2 - most probably.

the only error i see is

root@MVNKnas[~]# dmesg | grep -i mxge
module_register: cannot register pci/mxge from kernel; already loaded from if_mxge.ko
Module pci/mxge failed to register: 17

Thank you @Patrick M. Hausen

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have "Myricom-10G-PCIE2-8C2-T-2T - Dual port card ", ...

This card is not listed in the manpage for the mxge(4) driver that I quoted:
Code:
Myricom 10GBase-CX4 (10G-PCIE-8A-C, 10G-PCIE-8AL-C)
Myricom 10GBase-R (10G-PCIE-8A-R, 10G-PCIE-8AL-R)
Myricom 10G XAUI over ribbon fiber (10G-PCIE-8A-Q, 10G-PCIE-8AL-Q)

You did check with the manufacturer or the seller that the chipset is identical/compatible with the listed cards? ;)
This definitely looks like your hardware will not work. Period. Sorry to say that.

And all the other error messages were simply caused by trying to load the driver twice because it already is in the kernel (compiled in).

drewg123

Cadet
Driver author here.. I was contacted off-list. The TL:DR is that the NIC was dead.

Most Myricom 2x10 NICs contain a PLX or IDT PCIe switch to take a Gen2 x8 PCIe slot and drive two Gen1 x8 PCIe links for 2 independent NIC chips. On the OP's system, the PLX chip was appearing in pciconf -lvBbc, however the downstream PCIe links were down. OP reported that the NIC chips were hot, and no lights were blinking. Myricom NICs tend to have different blink patterns for no PCIe, corrupted EEPROM firmware, etc. So the assumption is that the NIC chips are dead.

As to the question on whether or not this 10GbaseT NIC is supported; I don't know. I left Myricom in 2013, before the NIC was made. Given that the firmware typically dealt with link issues on all prior NICs, I suspect that the NIC would have worked just fine. However, the driver would not have been correctly reporting the media type, and that may have caused some problems. If anybody has one & wants to get it working, please feel free to contact me at my freebsd.org email

Best,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:

kumarmvnk

Explorer
Drew, Thank you for not only looking at my request offline to you with due deligence.

Its so nice to see that you have also joined this community to support. My sincere thanks to you.