GUI Error: Welcome to nginx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tav

Cadet
Does any one know to fix i am very new to freenas and servers on general

chucktryon

Dabbler
Is it possible that plugging the server into another location changed the subnet, and therefore the IP address that it is getting from DHCP? Can you get to the server at all -- ie., do you get the "Welcome" message, or no response at all??

JABFreak

Cadet
I don't understand what's going on here, we have this "Welcome to nginx!" instead of the WebUI, seems to happen to a lot of people, on another thread I saw "it's a know problem, no fix yet" and 8.3.0-RELEASE is still available for download!

Mystery...!

JaimieV

Guru
I got a "Welcome to nginx!" today. New fresh install of 8.3-RELEASE-p4 on an HP Microserver N40L with 6gig. Went away after I configured the IP address at the console, and rebooted again - once the GUI came up the webserver binding was seen to be correctly 0.0.0.0.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't understand what's going on here, we have this "Welcome to nginx!" instead of the WebUI, seems to happen to a lot of people, on another thread I saw "it's a know problem, no fix yet" and 8.3.0-RELEASE is still available for download!

Mystery...!
Microsoft released lots of operating systems (actually all of them) with bugs and problems. So does Linux, FreeBSD, and just about every other OS on the planet. Just because a small subset of users will have a problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be released. The person making the decision on when to release an update is ultimately responsible for evaluating how "big of a deal" a problem is and whether to issue a fix. Obviously, if that person is having problems then the project can go down in flames. /shrug

xaphann

Cadet
A quick update for me. The SQL script posted above worked for one reboot. Having a NAS that cannot be rebooted is kind of useless. Does anyone know of a status update from FreeNAS?

So I guess I'm just another name in the list of people with this problem? A bug? :confused: I'm using a static IP if that does any difference.

Update:
Actually I can get the gui again by just using another browser. The problem appears in firefox but not in chrome

dgs2001

Dabbler
Don't know if it helps, but I found using a bookmark caused this.
If I re type the IP address into the browser when on the welcome to nginx screen it magically restores the GUI.

Stephens

Patron
I'm no web developer but I know there are options on web pages you can use to tell browsers not to cache, or to ignore cache and retrieve from server... or something like that. Any web developers out there know what I'm talking about?

Perhaps that's what the FreeNAS should do. It's not sending that much data so the cache benefit is minimal compared to the problem of the cache messing up the web display. Of course the normal way of addressing that is to tell people to "clear your browser cache" but that always drives me batty because I have to clear my cache of (say) 300 web sites in order to see my 1 web site OK. It's 2012, but we still use a lot of brute force solutions to cure problems.

Anyway, this is the only bug I've heard about that made me cautious about upgrading to 8.3. It seems there's a solution now, so it looks like I'll be upgrading soon.

Stephens

Patron
Thanks for the clarification. I'll hold off for the fix.

xaphann

Cadet
So I guess I'm just another name in the list of people with this problem? A bug? :confused: I'm using a static IP if that does any difference.

Update:
Actually I can get the gui again by just using another browser. The problem appears in firefox but not in chrome

That is not the case with me. I have tested the following browsers all with the same results of "Welcome to nginx!"; Safari 6.0.2, Chrome 23.0.1271.64, Firefox 16.0.2 and IE 9.0.8112.16421. Clearing cache did not help.

All of these browsers were on 64bit OS (Mac OSX 10.8.2 and Windows 7 64bit SP1).

Agomo

Cadet
At the Ticket 1878 Will says it shall be solved with r12711.
I have tried with the nightlie r12711 and r12712 but the "welcome to nginx" problem remains.
Did anybody tried these, too?

xaphann

Cadet
At the Ticket 1878 Will says it shall be solved with r12711.
I have tried with the nightlie r12711 and r12712 but the "welcome to nginx" problem remains.
Did anybody tried these, too?

I finally got around to trying it and yes the "Welcome to nginx" is still there. So no fix yet...

Is there log files that they need?

yaFNu

Cadet
Sorry if it's obvious or post repeat but helped in our case. Got "Welcome to nginx" page right after 8.3 release x64 install. Fixed by selecting in shell first "Reset to factory defaults", second "Reset WebGUI login credentials". Not sure if both options needed. Would be glad if it helps.

irishpab

Cadet
Reset do not work

Sorry if it's obvious or post repeat but helped in our case. Got "Welcome to nginx" page right after 8.3 release x64 install. Fixed by selecting in shell first "Reset to factory defaults", second "Reset WebGUI login credentials". Not sure if both options needed. Would be glad if it helps.

Those resets did not work for me.

pete_c20

Dabbler
Installed freeNAS for first time today from FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86.iso and got no GUI and the Welcome to nginx! page. Network is static IP if that helps folks comparing and troubleshooting. Also at the time of install the network was unplugged, not sure if that makes a difference. Browsers tried are Firefox 16.0.2 and Opera 12.00.

Unfortunately the workround given in post 11 of this thread makes no sense to me, I haven't a clue what to do with it. Assembler is fine with me, but that....Hmmnn :confused:

So, as my NAS is new and as yet unused, I wiped it and installed from the previous version of FreeNAS-8.3.0-RC1-x86.iso. Network plug was in this time during install. This installed fine and webGUI appeared no problems. Didn't even re-type the address in the browsers, just hit reload and up it popped. Apparently from reading other posts, if I have this right, this wouldn't of been an option on a working system if you'd of upgraded the filling system?

Would somebody be so kind as to explain how I would of used the information given by chucktryon in post 11 of this thread so that I may learn how to fix problems? The 3 lines in that post kind of make sense, but what would I do with them and where do I type them?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Installed freeNAS for first time today from FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86.iso and got no GUI and the Welcome to nginx! page. Network is static IP if that helps folks comparing and troubleshooting. Also at the time of install the network was unplugged, not sure if that makes a difference. Browsers tried are Firefox 16.0.2 and Opera 12.00.

Unfortunately the workround given in post 11 of this thread makes no sense to me, I haven't a clue what to do with it. Assembler is fine with me, but that....Hmmnn :confused:

So, as my NAS is new and as yet unused, I wiped it and installed from the previous version of FreeNAS-8.3.0-RC1-x86.iso. Network plug was in this time during install. This installed fine and webGUI appeared no problems. Didn't even re-type the address in the browsers, just hit reload and up it popped. Apparently from reading other posts, if I have this right, this wouldn't of been an option on a working system if you'd of upgraded the filling system?

Would somebody be so kind as to explain how I would of used the information given by chucktryon in post 11 of this thread so that I may learn how to fix problems? The 3 lines in that post kind of make sense, but what would I do with them and where do I type them?

you either open console session directly on the box or SSH into it and run those commands

Status
Not open for further replies.