GUI Error: Welcome to nginx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After upgrading from 8.3 rc1 to 8.3 release my gui f***d up. When I enter the IP in the web reader all it says is "Welcome to nginx!" and nothing else. Anyone having an idea what to do ??

jonlup

Cadet
New freenas user

I have just tried to install last freenas in a virtualbox vm.
Issues:
- pcb0 (or was it pcn0?) interface didn't really worked, as it was the default chipset presented by VB to the virtual machine; next interface chipset I tried - "em0" (Intel ) worked
- "welcome to nginx" web interface page :smile:)))))

my first idea: WTF? reading through the docs I was just wondering if is this anywhere close to production software.
my second idea: I'll give previous version a quick go; if any issues just ditch it and install myself a proper linux with proper software to do this job.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I installed FreeNAS in a virtualbox VM and it worked right away with zero configuration changes. I upped the RAM to 6GB, but left everything else at defaults.

jonlup

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS in a virtualbox VM and it worked right away with zero configuration changes. I upped the RAM to 6GB, but left everything else at defaults.

I went for 8.2.
same welcome to nginx.
used your idea to raise the RAM to 6gb.
welcome to nginx again!

anyway here's attached a screenshot from booting sequence.
I looked into that /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf, it looks good :)
I have attached a screenshot of this thing too.
but as the first impression was this is a lousy thing, and as the manual is not very helpful (the freaking "Section 2: Using the Graphical Interface" should start with something like:"point your browser to the http://x.y.z.w/url/url/url address", before you go set the admin password you should be able to access the bloody thing :))) )

root location of this nginx seems to be /usr/local/www/nginx-dist which contains the beautiful 151bytes "index.html" file with the well-known "welcome to nginx!", a "50x.html" file and a file "EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING"

I'll just move on, it's not worth the time.

Attachments

• freenas-failure.jpg
    freenas-failure.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 476
  • nginx.conf.jpg
    nginx.conf.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 453

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The second picture was downsized to the point of being unreadable.

What address are you actually trying to go to? http://my.ip.address.here/ ?

I'm not sure I'll get an answer since you said you're moving on. But I'm curious where the message is actually coming from.

Edit: I understand your post about the manual not saying to go to a particular URL, but FreeNAS boots up and tells you where to go. Mine says:

Code:
You may try the following URLs to access the web user interface:

https://192.168.0.99/

My server is https because I enabled https. The default is disabled.

Hi Folks,

so any hints of how to get the webgui back working? I have exactly the same problem with the message "welcome to nginx". I have a freh install of the latest Freenas 8.0.3 on a NAS system with Atom 230 and 2 gb Ram.

cheers,

kgchiang

Cadet
Same here, just installed new x64 version of FreeNAS 8.0.3
Following the initial setup steps but got the same Welcome to nginx! message when navigating to the url that was setup for the web GUI.

here is my setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-I
LAN: onboard Realltek 8111F chipset

I am running FreeNAS 8.0.3 from USB stick
My network ip ranges is from 10.0.0.X instead of the usual 192.168.0.X

xaphann

Cadet
Add me to the list of people getting the "Welcome to nginx!"

I am using a MSI G31M3 motherboard and the on board NIC. This is a fresh install of FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

chucktryon

Dabbler
Any hints????

Yeah, happened to me too. I was running one of the Beta versions, and it installed without any problems, but when I tried to update to the full version, the Web GUI died. :-( I tried to type in the full URL (http://myhostname/account/login), and I get a 404 error. I am installing to a 4Gig thumb drive.

No indications of errors or anything else. I can still ssh to the box. I'm searching to see if I can find where the Web app was installed and trying to see if the server is just pointing to the wrong root.

Gurrrrrr....... :-(

Add me to the list of people getting the "Welcome to nginx!"

I am using a MSI G31M3 motherboard and the on board NIC. This is a fresh install of FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64.

chucktryon

Dabbler
This is not exactly a "fix" yet, but I learned a workaround on the freenode Web forum

# rm /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf*
# service ix-nginx start
# nginx

Apparently there is something screwed up in the conf files, so you have to remove them first, and THEN restart the nginx process.

NOTE that the service start command returns "Failed", but this is OK. After you get this, run the nginx command (no response on the command line), and the Web GUI should be working.

NOTE I haven't tested this yet, but you will probably need to re-run these commands any time you restart the system, until the FreeNAS people come out with an update.

Not exactly an optimal fix, but at least it gets you back up and running... :tongue:

I am having the same issue - used the gui upgrade path. Ill try chucktryon's recommendation. Wondering if this is just for a subset of us or a global issue.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Has anyone opened a ticket for this at support.freenas.org? I couldn't find one. It would be much appreciated if someone did, with as much detail as possible and a link to this thread.

xaphann

Cadet
This is not exactly a "fix" yet, but I learned a workaround on the freenode Web forum

# rm /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf*
# service ix-nginx start
# nginx

Apparently there is something screwed up in the conf files, so you have to remove them first, and THEN restart the nginx process.

NOTE that the service start command returns "Failed", but this is OK. After you get this, run the nginx command (no response on the command line), and the Web GUI should be working.

NOTE I haven't tested this yet, but you will probably need to re-run these commands any time you restart the system, until the FreeNAS people come out with an update.

Not exactly an optimal fix, but at least it gets you back up and running... :tongue:

That worked! I have not tried a reboot yet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

chucktryon

Dabbler
I was talking with someone on the IRC channel, so I believe the developers are aware of it, but I haven't actually checked if there is an official ticket for this bug.

chucktryon

Dabbler
That worked! I have not tried a reboot yet.

I tried a reboot and it definitely did NOT come back up without manually running those commands again.

Are you joined to an Active Directory controller? This release fixed a problem I was having with the Beta where our domain spans multiple sites, and it wasn't dealing correctly with the site records, but the boot up time seems REALLY LONG compared with earlier releases. Seems like it's trying to do things and timing out. I've watched the console during those looooooooong delays, and haven't noticed anything obvious. :-/

J

jpaetzel

We are aware of the issue and are working on a solution.

A user I helped today in IRC had the WebGUI bound to a wrong address.

sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db

> SELECT stg_guiaddress FROM system_settings;

If this doesn't match the IP you have configured for FreeNAS do:

> UPDATE system_settings SET stg_guiaddress = '0.0.0.0' WHERE id = '1';
> .quit

Then reboot FreeNAS.

dgs2001

Dabbler
Dont know if it helps but this happened to me today.
Ive been running 8.3 succesfully for a week with multiple restarts.

Today I shut down and unplugged the box from its temporary home and put it back in the loft.

Hey presto no gui. So I guess I'm suggesting you dont power it down and unplug it if its working !!

dgs2001

Dabbler
Having phsically moved the server back to where it was and plugged it back in the gui has reappeared.
So it would appear that phsically pluging the ethernet cable into a different place in my network causes this behavoir.

Now i have access to the gui again can somebody help me access the nginx config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.