freenas locking up since 11.3

ykhodo

Explorer
Hello,

I have a freenas build with a ryzen 1700, that has been running without issues for months. As soon as I upgraded to 11.3, my machine has been locking up every couple of days.

I have turned up debug logging in syslog, and I am seeing this spammed, but I don't think it's related: Feb 12 19:04:54 hadrian usbhid-ups[1485]: libusb_get_interrupt: Unknown error Feb 12 19:05:00 hadrian usbhid-ups[1485]: libusb_get_interrupt: Unknown error Feb 12 19:05:06 hadrian usbhid-ups[1485]: libusb_get_interrupt: Unknown error Feb 12 19:54:06 hadrian usbhid-ups[1485]: libusb_get_interrupt: Unknown error Feb 12 19:54:08 hadrian usbhid-ups[1485]: libusb_get_interrupt: Unknown error

As you can see, the reboot happens after that 19:05:06 log message.

Any tips for how I can start tracking this down?

CPU: Ryzen 1700x
RAM: corsair DDR4 ECC RAM (CT16G4WFD824A) * 2 (32 GB Total)
Mobo: Asrock x370 taichi (intel network card)
Storage:
- 5 * 4 TB WD Red, 1 * 5 TB WD Red, in RAID-Z2
- 1 Samsung Evo PRO nvme for VMs
- 1 PNY CS900 120 GB as the boot device

Edit: added hardware

Last edited:
Comprehensive hardware details would elicit a better response from forum members. Refer to the forum guidelines for tips on what to provide.

Cantrepeat

Dabbler
Same thing happened to me on a FreeNAS mini that had been running fine since Oct 2018.

The reboots seemed random and then started happening more often while accessing the data on the NAS. I was coping all the data to external HDs since the NAS was rebooting every hour or so while accessing it. I started the back ups because I thought I was having a hardware failure. In the end a reinstall of 11.3 from scratch and rebuilt everything. It seems to be running fine now.

I know this doesn't help you in anyway but just wanted you to know it's happening to others.

jcm82

Cadet
reinstall of 11.3 from scratch and rebuilt everything. It seems to be running fine now.

I have very similar hardware (ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac, AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 64GB RAM (non-ecc), 3x6TB WD Red Pro (raid-z1), 3x6TB (2 in mirror, 1 spare) Seagate, boot pool 2x128GB Kingston SSD).

Do you mean you also rebuilt the pools? I this I also have to give this a shot, because the reboots are getting pretty ridiculous. I have two replicated pools, but only upgraded one of them, thinking I could have to downgrade at some point.

Cantrepeat

Dabbler
I backed up everything on the nas and then did a complete scratch install of 11.3, then made all the pools and copied all the data back to the nas.

jcm82

Cadet
I backed up everything on the nas and then did a complete scratch install of 11.3, then made all the pools and copied all the data back to the nas.

Oof. Well, it's been time to redesign the pools for a while now. Thanks!

ykhodo

Explorer
fwiw, I upgraded to a ryzen 2700x, and the issue has gone away. I have been up for 2 days. I'll report back in a week.

Last edited:

dashtesla

Explorer
Clearly it's a conspiracy the end goal here is to support Intel, get Intel and dump all AMD because AMD sucks.

jk jk jk :D

I haven't built an amd setup yet but this good to know, jokes aside it does make me feel uneasy about using AMD for freenas if it's not exactly stable :/ though no one said anything about ryzen 3000.

ThreeDee

Guru
memory controllers on 1000 and 2000 series aren't as robust as the 3000 series .. they get better each gen, but I've had issues with my 2700x that went away when I upgraded to a 3700x on my PC

jcm82

Cadet
I did a clean install of 11.3 on Saturday, and restored my settings onto it. It's the first time since upgrading to 11.3 (I had done the online upgrade path) that I've had over 2 days uptime -- and counting. :fingers-crossed:

jcm82

Cadet
Clearly it's a conspiracy the end goal here is to support Intel, get Intel and dump all AMD because AMD sucks

I was very tempted to rebuild this box using an Intel CPU. But let's to hoping that it doesn't get to that. Also, when I was downloading the 11.3 ISO, I noticed for the very first time that ixsystems recommends intel CPUs :|

ykhodo

Explorer
I've been up for 9 days now. I'm going to say this is resolved by updating to the next gen ryzen (2700x) and the first gen ryzen are still unstable.

dashtesla

Explorer
I personally think the best hardware for freenas is second hand xeons, you get to use cheap DDR3 ECC and it's still plenty fast, overall cheaper than ryzen/epyc.

ThreeDee

Guru
I personally think the best hardware for freenas is second hand xeons, you get to use cheap DDR3 ECC and it's still plenty fast, overall cheaper than ryzen/epyc.
my lowly 3rd hand used setup has been rock solid down in my basement since I put it together just running plex and unifi controller as well as the normal file storage/backup stuff :cool: ..heck, it's been running great on my friends AMD E-350 (1.6ghz dual core) setup with 8gb of DDR3 just doing file storage mainly for Plex that runs on a windows box.

dashtesla

Explorer
DDR3 Quad Channel is about as fast as DDR4 Dual Channel, sure depends on frequency and you can find the GB/s per frequency etc online but whole point is being more efficient, but really depends on where you live some countries different setups make more sense than others due to local availability.