FreeNAS box locking up nightly

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Dear All,

At approximately the same time every night (between 7-9PM) my FreeNAS box appears to lock up and slow to a halt. I can't ssh via the terminal but can get in via the GUI. Getting to the shell from there takes over a minute to load. This causes problems for any SMB and NFS mounts, although at the moment this machine isn't in production.

I can't see anything in /etc/crontab that might be running to cause this.

Some odd behaviour in case it is interesting:

'ls -lhtr /var/log' hangs but 'ls /var/log' doesn't.

In the GUI, under Tasks the Scrub and Cloud Sync sections take about 30 seconds to load - the others load instantaneously.

I do have snapshot and replication tasks but the latter is disabled and the former runs at midnight.

I don't know how to tell what is causing this.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks,
Fab

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
It's now 7AM and my box is locking up again, which basically makes it unusable as a filer server if it keeps randomly locking up.

It's a 40 threads box with 96GB of RAM, so really ought to be able to handle itself. I can't see anything useful in the logs and can't open a support ticket with jira because it refuses my password and my last two attempts to reset have yielded no reset links. :-(

Any help really would be much appreciated.....

You might get a better response from forum members if you include your hardware details in the thread. Even better, include those details in your signature block. Refer to the Forum Rules for suggestions on what sort of information to provide.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Fair point. I'll update accordingly.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
I've actually just noticed that FreeNAS is reporting that I have 94GB available, not 192GB. Any idea why this my be? Boot shows all 192GB but the GUI doesn't.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
I have two identical boxes that show the same amount. I suspect a config issue with the FreeNAS config.