First Intel build - Will it FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

rcnut

Dabbler
Replacing the 2TB drives is pretty easy, and follows the same basic process as replacing a failed drive.

Here is an illustrated guide that @danb35 wrote:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/replacing-a-failed-failing-disk.75/
I realize I should have read a lot more before I started this project. When I build the NAS, I'll include a couple of 1TB drives and replace them with 2TB as a learning experience.
Thanks for the link. All the parts are on the way, except for a couple fans.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I realize I should have read a lot more before I started this project.
Check some of the links in the "Useful Links" in my signature. Some good info there.

rcnut

Dabbler
Got my NAS up and running today. <insert happy dance here> Been pulled away by other projects, and life.

Of course, some time after I bought my power supply, Newegg put it on sale!

In case it helps someone as stupid as me in the future, wdidle3 didn't work for me.
I have the newer 3 platter drives, WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0.
I tried the wdidle3 linked to by Johnnie Black in DrKK's thread, but it only gave me an error.
I also tried one following the instructions on a Youtube video with the same results.
I'm probably doing something wrong.
I decided I would have to use DrKK's script but, not being a Linux person, I didn't know how to do it.
Yeah, STUPID, I know.
Then I searched and found out about using idle3ctl in Linux.
It worked like a charm!

I managed to buy another 4TB Red quite recently. One to go.
Created the Volume with seven 4TB drives and one 1TB. Took the 1TB offline and replaced with a 2TB to see how that would go.
No problem. Now, when I can afford another 4TB, I will about double my capacity.
Also will buy at least one more later so I have one standing by.
Sending files to it now. Nine drives (1, 1.5 and 2TB) of data to load. With a 10/100 network, this really is going to take a loooong time)

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

Inxsible

Guru

rcnut

Dabbler
What is this? 1998?
Upgrade already man !
Yeah, I should have bought the gigabit switch Newegg just had on sale.
Until now I've never needed to transfer this much data across the network.
But hey, this'll only take a week or so. :eek:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I should have bought the gigabit switch Newegg just had on sale.
Until now I've never needed to transfer this much data across the network.
But hey, this'll only take a week or so. :eek:
Never buy a switch new unless you are not allowed to buy a used one. I have that problem at work. They insist on buying certain things brand new, no matter what, and they insist on certain brands, even when it is more expensive. For example, I must buy Cisco managed switches even when I could do the thing with a Netgear, or some other cheaper unit.

How many ports do you need?

rcnut

Dabbler
Never buy a switch new unless you are not allowed to buy a used one. I have that problem at work. They insist on buying certain things brand new, no matter what, and they insist on certain brands, even when it is more expensive. For example, I must buy Cisco managed switches even when I could do the thing with a Netgear, or some other cheaper unit.

How many ports do you need?
Well, this was a good deal. Only $10, though it was a Rosewill. However, I've had good luck with other Rosewill products.
Just to transfer these files, I would only need the two ports. If I really wanted to get serious about upgrading the network, I would need a switch for the computers on my desk and another for the others under the bench on the other side of the room.
I should probably try bidding on switches on ebay.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If I really wanted to get serious about upgrading the network, I would need a switch for the computers on my desk and another for the others under the bench on the other side of the room.
I should probably try bidding on switches on ebay.
Why do you say two switches? You could get a single switch to do it all. How many systems do you need to connect?

rcnut

Dabbler
Why do you say two switches? You could get a single switch to do it all. How many systems do you need to connect?
Holy <expletive>! There's a refurbished Cisco switch at Newegg for $3 shipped. The size is bigger than I'd prefer, but the price is very attractive. I would have it before I even get half this data transfered.

The reason I would use two switches to upgrade the network is that there are two computers on my desk with a KVM switch and three computers on the other side of the room. I have one cable routed around the room, across the baseboard and over the doorframe. I rather not have to run another cable. Of course, I'm quite happy with the 10/100 for sending a few files at a time.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

rvassar

Guru
Once you go 10Gb, you never want to go back.

I had 4x FDR Infiniband at my last job. I still miss it! :):):):):)

Holy <expletive>! There's a refurbished Cisco switch at Newegg for $3 shipped. The size is bigger than I'd prefer, but the price is very attractive. I would have it before I even get half this data transfered.

Beware of used Cisco gear. There's a lot of "licensed functionality" in them these days that requires you to have a current maintenance contract etc... That why the used gear is so cheap. I know of one large-ish company that had three or four 6-node VMWare clusters, probably over 1000 Test & Production VM's... They got acquired by another company, and the new accounting dept. refused to pay the Cisco subscription. VMWare vMotion related feature subscription expired... :eek::eek::eek:

Took them over a month to recover... o_O

rcnut

Dabbler
Beware of used Cisco gear. There's a lot of "licensed functionality" in them these days that requires you to have a current maintenance contract etc... That why the used gear is so cheap.

You're absolutely right. I contacted the seller and that's why the low price.
So I guess I'm bidding on ebay.
Thanks for the warning. I would have had a $3 paperweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.