First nas build. Will this work?

murtz

Cadet
Hi everyone, new to the forum and to nas building in general. Would appreciate the help as I know nothing about enterprise hardware.

-Intel Xeon E series 2126G
-Asus P11C-X
-Crucial 16GB ECC 2400Mhz DDR4
-Ironwolf 4tb x 12
-Dell Perc H310

and a cheap ssd for the os. It will be built in an IW-RS212-02SC If this build does work is there anything I need to take into account apart from flashing the controller?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Wow that's a pricey chassis.

Make sure there's good airflow over the drives and also over the HBA, which can overheat.

Consider buying a used 12 bay chassis off of eBay, particularly Supermicro. It should be way cheaper and better quality. Probably come with a system board that's actually designed to work with the chassis, and this is probably fine as long as it's Sandy Bridge or newer. Generally speaking, having the newest fastest hardware isn't particularly beneficial. I think there's a guide in the resources area that has some specific suggestions.

murtz

Cadet
Wow that's a pricey chassis.

Yea, the only reason is aesthetics as in-win have I 3U case I like for my main rig. I read through the guide but it ended up confusing me at first because of older hardware listed on it, not up to date with compatibility or gens. I'm okay with spending more than I should on hardware but I'll definitely take a look on ebay for a chassis and buy that first if I find one. Apart from overkill are the components ok, will I need more ram?