Will these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Hello, I am completely new to this and would really love to get some help from you guys with experience. I am going to build my own nas as a project. I am on budget so trying to get it as cheap as possible but still good power from my NAS. I have a list of parts I found online from a company in my country on the cheap demo used products. And I am wondering if the setup is ok or completely shit. Will appreciate any help and helpful comments.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.90 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $740.73

Mod note: Edited to remove pcpartpicker links, as per forum rules.
- Ericloewe

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Wizard
Hello and welcome to the forums.
1. Are you set on using mITX or could you consider mATX. This opens up options.
2. Motherboard does not seem to support ECC?
3. Your RAM is ECC reg, unusual for this platform. Without digging further, I think you've selected the wrong ECC RAM.

....Have you studied the hardware recommendations guide in the resource section?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your setup is missing ECC RAM which is really needed for a ZFS file system like this however some people do take a risk and choose not to use ECC RAM.

The RAM you selected is "Registered" and you will need to verify with the manufacturer of the motherboard (usually in the user manual) if you can use Registered RAM.

The rest of the parts will work however the Motherboard loos to have built in WiFi. FreeNAS does not support this feature so it would not function.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to the "Save" button. :)

Zaloz

Dabbler
Hello and welcome to the forums.
1. Are you set on using mITX or could you consider mATX. This opens up options.
2. Motherboard does not seem to support ECC?
3. Your RAM is ECC reg, unusual for this platform. Without digging further, I think you've selected the wrong ECC RAM.

....Have you studied the hardware recommendations guide in the resource section?
I am trying to fit the build in a small enclosure, so will try to make it stay in mITX setup.

made a new list with more compatible parts i hope, not sure about what ram I should go for tough...

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.00 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($105.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.90 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $722.75

- Ericloewe

joeschmuck

Old Man
not sure about what ram I should go for tough...

Read the motherboard user manual but I suspect this one would work.

Also you never stated what you expect to use this system for, would you tell us. I ask this question because sometimes it matters and you may not get what you hope.

gpsguy

OK - so I read the motherboard manual. It says "Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)". I wouldn't use it.

There are a couple of other mini-ITX mobo's (Asrock and Supermicro) that are known to support ECC RAM. I don't have the part numbers at hand.

Read the motherboard user manual but I suspect this one would work..

Zaloz

Dabbler
Read the motherboard user manual but I suspect this one would work.

Also you never stated what you expect to use this system for, would you tell us. I ask this question because sometimes it matters and you may not get what you hope.
It will mainly be used as a file server at home, and backups if possible.

Zaloz

Dabbler
OK - so I read the motherboard manual. It says "Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)". I wouldn't use it.

There are a couple of other mini-ITX mobo's (Asrock and Supermicro) that are known to support ECC RAM. I don't have the part numbers at hand.
Ok, I will keep looking then. Unfortunaly not lot of Asrock and Supermicro here in Norway.

gpsguy

Dice

Wizard

Zaloz

Dabbler
So I updated my hardware list, but on pcpartpicker it says that the ram my have potential issues. I tried to go by the recommendations guide as good as I could, but it looks like I am struggling to find compatible ram, I think everthing else should be ok now.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Supermicro - X10SLL-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $695.94

- Ericloewe

gpsguy

Your latest list looks much better. You might want to look at the Supermicro X11SSL-F and a compatible CPU.

The X11 series is newer than the X10 and supports up to 64GB RAM vs 32GB with the X10. While you don't need that capability now, if you want to add more disks and/or increase the size of your disks down the road, you'll be happy you made the decision now.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Well, now I think I finally got it, heres the list. And I even think I got ram that is compatible,

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.45 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSL-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($167.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.98 @ Directron)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Power Supply: SHARKOON SilentStorm SFX Gold https://www.multicom.no/partdetailinfo.aspx?q=p:8019809 ($93.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $749.79

Dice

Wizard
This is the latest Kaby Lake CPU family.
If you end up with a non-recently flashed motherboard, your setup won't work.
The bios cannot be flashed with that CPU.

1. Make sure you get an actual 2.x (IIRC) bios
or
2. Make sure you find a Sky Lake CPU to pop in to flash your bios, in order for you to use the Kaby Lake CPU.
If you dont have a SkyLake CPU sitting around, you'd be better off by just getting a Sky Lake for the build.

Zaloz

Dabbler

or
2. Make sure you find a Sky Lake CPU to pop in to flash your bios, in order for you to use the Kaby Lake CPU.
If you dont have a SkyLake CPU sitting around, you'd be better off by just getting a Sky Lake for the build.

Put in a pentium g4400 skylake instead, am I safe then? Will I get a performance loss with this instead of the G4560?

Stux

MVP

or

The BIOS can be flashed by IPMI. Yes, that requires a code from supermicro, but at this stage I think they owe you that as the board is defective without the update.

Meanwhile, 2.0 has been put for months, do you think it's really possible to get NOS on one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.