Will it FreeNAS - first build

Asquel

Cadet
So hello guys, its time for me to set up my first FreeNAS box.
What do i need to achieve? Best case is good storage\backup solution, maximally quiet, compact and efficient. I'm not planning anything heavy on workload just yet, and i'm planning to get it in a space with not so much of fresh air circulation, so temperature is big thing. What obstacles do i have? I live in Russia, and not in Moscow, so my hardware options is kind of limited.

I've already purchased these components:
M/B Supermicro X11SAE-M. Yes, i know that it's more oriented on workstation, doesn't have cool features and stuff... Clearly, i made a mistake buying it, what's done is done.
HDD For now, i'm planning to toy with my existing HDDs, including WD Black 2TB and couple less interesting things. For future i've oriented for cheap SSD's and some mirror drive for my WD for important files.

So my plan for buying things is there:
RAM: Kingston DDR4 16Gb 2666MHz pc-21300 ECC (KSM26ED8/16ME) for server ~100 USD. Its like, the only available ECC UDIMM RAM in my country. I have concerns about compatibility with M/B, because its maximum listed speed is only 2400. Can i downclock it and live peacefully?
CPU: Something used Skylake unit, best i can find, when i save some money. preferably Pentium G4560 for around ~50 USD. It supports ECC as far as i know, dont draw much power and fits good. For future few years its always a possibility to upgrade on Xeon E3-something, when it arrives from industrial servers on Ebay for cheap.
PSU: SEASONIC SSR-550FX ATX 550W Gold for 110$ is probably best i can have here. 10 years warranty, all the stuff, passive mode for low loads.
CPU cooling: Deepcool HTPC-200 RET for 13 USD. Not much talk about it.
NAS Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 black mATX SIL-352M-KKN1 for 70 USD. Yeah, it's not so NAS-oriented, but i'm not planning to get out my drives at all. Supports 3x3.5 Drives and 4x2.5 drives, fill my needs tight.

The problems i have with this build:
1) Can i use this RAM? Can i downclock it so it can be used with my other hardware? As option i can order Kingston DDR4 16Gb 2400MHz pc-19200 ECC (KSM24ED8/16ME) for server, but it costs around 15 USD more.
2) CPU choise is limited by skylake chips because i don't know BIOS revision on my purchased M/B. I didn't find any ways to check BIOS revision without a CPU, and i didn't find ways to upgrade the BIOS with unsupported CPU or without CPU even. Unfortunatelly, i don't have a friends with 1151 at all. However there is an option with service centers in my town that can upgrade BIOS for me, but that usually costs unfair money, and do i really need this?
3) Not really sure about the Case, but i want to save some money on it and still get good permormance and acoustics. Is there good cheap options? Maybe i should really get most basic case for 20$ and swap it later? The money problem i have is notisable, salary out there is around 500$\month for tech-guy like me.

I will greatly appreciate any opinions about my build, thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry, my english ins't that great, i learned it myself, mostly, interested by computer hardware and games.

lightwave

Explorer
Hi Asquel,

I’d say your English is pretty d**n good for being self taught... :smile:

With regard to question 1) it should not be a problem to use a memory module specified for a higher bus frequency than is supported by the mainboard. It will just run at the mainboard supported speed of 2400 MHz. The difference in CAS Latency (CL) between the 2400 and 2666 MHz modules (CL17 and CL19 respectively) means that the 2666 MHz modules will perform a little slower than the 2400 MHz modules in your system. I would expect the difference to be mostly theoretical, though.

(It is interesting that the increase in CL often seems to offset the increase in supported buss frequency. I suspect that the CL is often increased to support a higher bus speed without improving the underlying performance of the memory modules. This does, however, produce the counter intuitive result that higher frequency modules perform slower than modules that are matched to the maximum memory buss frequency of the main board)

Asquel

Cadet
Hi lightwave,

Thanks for an ansfer. I'll buy this RAM stick then. I know that there will be no dual-channel bonuses, but i'm planning to get another stick somewhere in the future.