Will my build FreeNas?

Axomatic

Cadet
Hello, building my first FreeNas build and looking to buy the components soon.
I made PCPartPicker list for this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H3Kvmg

CPU: Intel Pentium G5420 (Should i invest 50 euros more for Intel Core i3-8100?)
MOBO: Gigabyte B360N (Not going to use the WIFI)
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 Kingston Fury (I know this is not ECC, I will explain myself later on this post)
PSU: EVGA 450W BR Series
M2: WD Green 120Gb
HDD: 4x WD Red 2Tb in RaidZ1

So i am planning to make FreeNas as my first NAS. I am not storing any critical information on the NAS and getting ECC supporting M-ITX motherboard is really expensive here where i live. So that is why i opted out of ECC-ram. I am planning to use this as Plex media server, Minecraft Server and host few light Linux Virtual Machines.

Would this build be worth it and would G5420 be powerful enough for this kind of build? Hosting Plex + Minecraft + Linux VM's.

Inxsible

Guru
MOBO: Gigabyte B360N (Not going to use the WIFI)
If you haven't bought it already, skip this and buy a decent server grade board without any unneeded hardward like soundcards, wifi, hdmi etc. Also skip the mini-itx and go for at least a uATX --
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
I have this case, and it's a bitch in terms of cabling. Buy a larger case, say 804 or from some other company. -- maybe even a tower or rackmount
HDD: 4x WD Red 2Tb in RaidZ1
When you have decided not to invest in server grade hardware everywhere else, I don't understand the need for "NAS" grade HDDs. Hell I use desktop drives even though I have server grade motherboard and ECC RAM etc.
ECC supporting M-ITX motherboard is really expensive here where i live. So that is why i opted out of ECC-ram.
That's a reason why you should opt out of M-ITX -- not out of ECC.
I am planning to use this as Plex media server, Minecraft Server and host few light Linux Virtual Machines.
So you plan to use FreeNAS, Minecraft Server and Linux all on the same machine? which means that you probably want to run FreeNAS virtualized. If so, your Pentium G5420 is probably not going to cut it to run all that. For Plex, do you know how many streams you plan to run simultaneously? How many of those will be transcoding? Check CPU passmarks to get an idea of how much processing power you will need to run X number of Plex transcode streams.

Inxsible

Guru
really expensive here where i live.
If you are in North America, look at the used market. There are a whole lot of deals to be had and you can build a decent server for quite cheap.

Axomatic

Cadet
If you haven't bought it already, skip this and buy a decent server grade board without any unneeded hardward like soundcards, wifi, hdmi etc. Also skip the mini-itx and go for at least a uATX --

I have this case, and it's a ***** in terms of cabling. Buy a larger case, say 804 or from some other company. -- maybe even a tower or rackmount

When you have decided not to invest in server grade hardware everywhere else, I don't understand the need for "NAS" grade HDDs. Hell I use desktop drives even though I have server grade motherboard and ECC RAM etc.

That's a reason why you should opt out of M-ITX -- not out of ECC.

So you plan to use FreeNAS, Minecraft Server and Linux all on the same machine? which means that you probably want to run FreeNAS virtualized. If so, your Pentium G5420 is probably not going to cut it to run all that. For Plex, do you know how many streams you plan to run simultaneously? How many of those will be transcoding? Check CPU passmarks to get an idea of how much processing power you will need to run X number of Plex transcode streams.

I will be having the FreeNas in my living room, so the size of the case actually matters. FreeNAS can host VM's so i dont need to run it virtualized.
I also am not from North America and i have checked the used market. No server grade stuff here for sale :)

Inxsible

Guru
I will be having the FreeNas in my living room, so the size of the case actually matters.
You are the judge of the space that you have but everyone thinks that they need the smallest possible box in the living room. I don't know why. Also the footprint of Node 804 is not much larger than the Node 304.

FreeNAS can host VM's
Sure it can. But the more scalable way is to run a hypervisor and run your vms on it since it's purpose-built for that job.

Last edited: