Firmware update of IPMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but searching got me no where for this question.

I have a X9SCM-F board, is the SMT_X9_319.bin file the one I point to when
prompted by the update utility to update the IPMI firmware?
and does the server have to be running to perform this function?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moving to off-topic as this isn't a Supermicro forum. ;)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Never mind...
Found that my board already has most recent IPMI firmware (3.19)

Yatti420

Wizard
3.19 is current for now.. I'm expecting a new version soon..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

camilo suarez

Explorer
Hi, i got yesterday my setup running, with a supermicro board - SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182819

its my first server board and i don’t know how to set up the IPMI i know the ip where i should connect, but the software that supermicro allows to download on their webpage doesn’t work on windows :( i downloaded the 3 programs, (See image) but they don’t work.

the first 2 open a command prompt window and then they close after less than one second, the last one doesn’t have an exe to execute the software. the only documentation on SMC page are the commands to use when IPMI is working, but not to set it up. i think it’s because i don’t have JRE installed, do i need it? i didn’t want to install it because it can be a vector to distribute malware via the browser plugin.

Attachments

• ipmi.PNG
    ipmi.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 322

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you know the IP address, you can use the web GUI--just browse to the IP address of the IPMI adapter. Default login is ADMIN, password is ADMIN. Obviously, recommend you change those for production. You will need a JRE installed to use the KVM at a minimum.

Nick Howard

Contributor
Hi, i got yesterday my setup running, with a supermicro board - SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182819

its my first server board and i don’t know how to set up the IPMI i know the ip where i should connect, but the software that supermicro allows to download on their webpage doesn’t work on windows :( i downloaded the 3 programs, (See image) but they don’t work.

the first 2 open a command prompt window and then they close after less than one second, the last one doesn’t have an exe to execute the software. the only documentation on SMC page are the commands to use when IPMI is working, but not to set it up. i think it’s because i don’t have JRE installed, do i need it? i didn’t want to install it because it can be a vector to distribute malware via the browser plugin.

I set my IMPI up the other day too. I just went into the bios and set a static IP address for the IPMI. Then as Dan said above just browse to that address. Nice and easy way to keep an eye on your systems temps etc.

camilo suarez

Explorer
Yeah that worked out! :) thanks!. super easy, its a shame that is not ell documented on the supermicro page :(

i was trying to see hard disk temps, but they dont appear in the bios settings, and freenas doesnt show them too. so i think ill have to investigate to see if theres a command that i can puto on SSH to see the temps.

Nick Howard

Contributor
Yeah that worked out! :) thanks!. super easy, its a shame that is not ell documented on the supermicro page :(

i was trying to see hard disk temps, but they dont appear in the bios settings, and freenas doesnt show them too. so i think ill have to investigate to see if theres a command that i can puto on SSH to see the temps.

If you set S.M.A.R.T up under services as below you can set a critical temp that you want to be notified of if it reaches it. Just make sure you've set the email up correctly. You'll also see the alerts come through in the console message footer. You could just keep lowering the critical temp setting until you get the notification and you'll be able to see exactly what temps your drives are hitting.

You can also run the (#smartctl -A /dev/<device> | grep Temperature_Celsius ) command for each individual drive. I'm sure there's a way to list all drives at once but I've not found it as yet.

hrwr5e.png

Status
Not open for further replies.