my ipmi is not working- can you help ?

ethereal

Guru
i have a supermicro x9scl-f m/b and the ipmi had been working for a long time.

a couple of weeks ago the ipmi stopped working after shutting down the server and the power then rebooting.

i tried to configure the ipmi but i noticed that in the bios - "supermicro ipmi firmware revision n/a"
does this mean that the ipmi firmware needs updating with a boot disc or is the ipmi permanently broken ?

this is my first server board and the first time i have used ipmi - so i have not had any similar experiences to use to problem solve.

i am hoping that the ipmi firmware got messed up during the reboot and hopefully i just need to reflash.
if you could point me in the direction of how to make a boot disc with impi firmware that would be smashing:)

ethereal

Guru
i tried to flash the firmware using a dos boot disk and it failed.

Fail:w1 inbyte = 2
ERROR:SEND "GetFWUpdateInfo" COMMAND TO BMC FAILED
PLEASE REBOOT THE BMC

do i need to send this to supermicro or just live without ipmi ?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Sorry to hear about that. Couple suggestions:
  1. Have to tried to Disable and then Enable the BMC via the Jumper?
    • Manual (Section 2-34) shows that JPB is the jumper to use for this
  2. Guessing that you tried with the latest BMC Firmware (version R 3.38)?
    • If you get it working by item #1, then you may just be able to skip updating the firmware
    • Per SuperMicro's Site:
    • WARNING!
      Please do not download / upgrade the Firmware UNLESS your system has a firmware-related issue. Flashing the wrong firmware can cause irreparable damage to the system.

In no event shall Supermicro be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from a firmware update.
  3. In FreeNas, you can verify by using these commands:
    • kldstat - Look to see if "ipmi.ko" is listed, that will tell you if IPMI was detected
    • kldload ipmi - Loads ipmi, look for messages pertaining it
    • kldunload ipmi - Unloads ipmi
  4. As long as the board is under warranty, you shouldn't have to
    just live without ipmi

ethereal

Guru
thank you for your reply.

i did notice the jumper in the manual - and it looked like it was there - i will try disable/enable.

one of the side effects is that the server takes an extra 5 mins to boot. there is a delay when the m/b waits for the ipmi to initialise and then there is a wait when freenas tries to write something to ipmi (3 times).

i'll try your suggestions.

ethereal

Guru
i disabled the broken ipmi by moving the jumper and now the server boots up lovely.

OK, so I know this topic is three years old but I stumbled upon it while searching for solution for exactly the same problem and decided to leave a post.
I have a Supermicro X8DTI-F, the server has the power shut off for two weeks and when I turned it on it was booting for like ten minutes more than usual, hanging on "initializing ipmi module...".
The important note here is that I never actually used IPMI for anything apart from monitoring temperature in ESXI, so it wasn't connected to Ethernet.
So next time before powering the server on I connected IPMI to my router, and...it just booted like before without any problems. That's the story.

F!$hp0nd

Dabbler
If anybody else has this issue, you can always move the jumper but you can also set the IPMI interface to 127.0.0.1 and the gateway to 0.0.0.0 so it by passes it (because it thinks it has a connection) and then boots.