SOLVED IPMI not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I'm trying to get IPMI working and am having zero luck. Mobo is a Supermicro X8DT6-F. I have the dedicated IPMI port connected and lights are showing green and orange so it appears to be active.

I configured the IPMI address in BIOS. Set it to static since DHCP was just setting it to whatever static address I previously typed in. (I'm guessing this is the first indication of some sort of problem).

If I try to access the IPMI address from a browser it just times out.

In Network>IPMI, I have the IPV4 address, netmask and gateway set in freenas to the same values as in BIOS, also noticed it is set to channel 1, which is the only one available in the dropdown.

I tried running some searches, but from my understanding the setup is supposed to be pretty simple, so if I'm missing a step here, its not obvious based on anything I've found.

Using latest IPMI firmware, latest FreeNAS build, etc.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
While I am not really familiar with that motherboard, maybe in the BIOS there is an option to set IPMI to either the "Dedicated NIC" or "Shared NIC"? Just a thought...

If there is the option, then try to set it to "Shared NIC" and see if you can get to it via that IP. If so, then perhaps your "Dedicated NIC" is on the fritz...

I have the exact same board and the IPMI is very easy to access once its setup.

Whatever IP address you have set make sure that the netmask is the same as the rest of your network (Usually 255.255.255.0) Then open your web browser and put that IP address into the address bar. No need to put a port or anything should come up to a SuperMicro page asking for a username and password. Hint here the username will be root and you can change the password in the IPMI config page in FreeNAS. Also what I have found is that if you make a change for the IP address to be DHCP you may need to power off and disconnect the power from the computer completely as well as reboot your router for the board to pick one up that way I have mine set to DHCP but have a static assignment in my router for it.

If you are still having a hard time finding it grab the IPMI tool from SuperMicro on the board support page.

I have a board sitting here that had something wrong with the IPMI and/or video. The IPMI pages show up but zero sensor data or settings show and there is no video, it was a used board and the seller refunded since at that point it was basically a dead board. It does boot with a video card plugged into a PCIe slot so I have kept it around for a spare/project where remote access is not important. So it is possible you could have a board that the IPMI does not function correctly. There are a couple settings in the BIOS so you can check there as well but really not much available that is not already in the FreeNAS settings though still worth a check.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I have the exact same board and the IPMI is very easy to access once its setup.

Whatever IP address you have set make sure that the netmask is the same as the rest of your network (Usually 255.255.255.0) Then open your web browser and put that IP address into the address bar. No need to put a port or anything should come up to a SuperMicro page asking for a username and password. Hint here the username will be root and you can change the password in the IPMI config page in FreeNAS. Also what I have found is that if you make a change for the IP address to be DHCP you may need to power off and disconnect the power from the computer completely as well as reboot your router for the board to pick one up that way I have mine set to DHCP but have a static assignment in my router for it.

If you are still having a hard time finding it grab the IPMI tool from SuperMicro on the board support page.

I have a board sitting here that had something wrong with the IPMI and/or video. The IPMI pages show up but zero sensor data or settings show and there is no video, it was a used board and the seller refunded since at that point it was basically a dead board. It does boot with a video card plugged into a PCIe slot so I have kept it around for a spare/project where remote access is not important. So it is possible you could have a board that the IPMI does not function correctly. There are a couple settings in the BIOS so you can check there as well but really not much available that is not already in the FreeNAS settings though still worth a check.

THANK YOU!
I've been fiddling with BIOS and rebooting the server several times with no luck. It just timed out when I used a browser to try and access IPMI. Didn't even think to try resetting the router.
Disconnected power while I rebooted and now it's working!

No problem, glad I could help. Some of the routers/NAT bridges will hold onto an address tenaciously even if it was a static assignment. Once it's in the tables it's there till a reboot. This is a good lesson any time you make some sort of a change in the network and it just won't work right.

Robert76

Dabbler
I have a bit different problem.....

I'm able to access IPMI over web browser without any issue (I have dedicated LAN port over the 2 standard NICs) but for some reasons I do not have IPMI section available in Freenas Network menu....

Any tip why? according to freenas documentation if I Have IPMI I should have this option in menu available....

Status
Not open for further replies.