X11SSM-F New BIOS Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks for letting us know.
Also, and this is just perhaps crap/blather, but I could have sworn that the system performance was just slightly more...hesitant? after 2.0b revision back when I installed it. Not enough to research or get worked up about. But I swear after the 2.0c we are back to "normal" snappiness.

I have no scientific basis for this statement, just a "feel" I have.

Also upgraded, from bios 2.0, no issues whatsoever during the update.
Noticed the SGX item back, a new option related to NVMe, a new ACPI table lookup failure when booting linux and that is about it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did the BIOS update earlier today without issue. The system rebooted three times during the upgrade. Not sure if that happens each time and I never noticed it or the change was somewhat very different. Either way it eventually fully bootstraped. The only BIOS change I had to make was the Power Button from "Instant Off" to "4 Second Delay".

Since the machine was out of the basement I went ahead and blew out all the dust with compressed air and placed it in my computer room, the heat it generates is a nice bonus now that it's cold outside. The wife just rang the dinner bell and said "Chilli is Done!" so I better go help myself to some warm food to help out my old cold bones.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Probably not yet, if you mean the latest ME bugs reported last week or so.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What exactly is the "ME" bug? Is "ME" and acronym I'm overlooking?

Someone willing to try me_cleaner on their boards? If things go wrong theoretically one should be able to flash back via IPMI. There someone who succeeded with a X10DAL-i, so chances are high.
Would be nice being free from ME bugs, but I'm hesitant to brick my board...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Someone willing to try me_cleaner on their boards?
but I'm hesitant to brick my board...

Nope, not a chance.

Why would you feel the need to remove the ME firmware? Also I would not recommend that anyone do this modification, not unless you understood what was going on, why you think you need to do it, and the risks involved. If you want to fix the ME issue then I'd wait for the proper firmware upgrade.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What a horrible thing to do without extremely extensive research and equipment at hand.

If things go wrong theoretically one should be able to flash back via IPMI.
Maybe, or you might break IPMI altogether in the process.

What a horrible thing to do without extremely extensive research and equipment at hand.

Maybe, or you might break IPMI altogether in the process.

Agreed about research. Equipment is 'just' an external flasher and clip, but using it isn't exactly painless.

IPMI should be impossible to break via a bios update, no matter how corrupted (in theory). It runs on a external processor, has it's own RAM, has direct access to network hardware and can flash the bios independently. AFAIK it still works even if the bios chip is physically removed, there is no processor and no RAM installed. You would need an activation key from supermicro however, but I believe they give out 'free trials' for those.

Still, even if things go wrong supermicro has a pretty robust built-in bios recovery process via a backup bios boot sector, and me_cleaner doesn't modify that part of the bios.

For sure some some features would be lost like intel node manager, power capping, sgx capability, etc, but that is very seldom used outside large datacenters anyway. The most likely feature useful that can be lost is monitoring some sensors, but ipmi should handle the majority of them.

Removing it is probably not worth the effort, but I sure would feel better considering the number of ME bugs coming out recently. Let's put a totally closed and non-auditable component built-in into every processor, that runs even when the computer is turned off, has independent network access capabilities and runs on a higher privilege level than any other component, what a great idea...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IPMI should be impossible to break via a bios update, no matter how corrupted (in theory). It runs on a external processor, has it's own RAM, has direct access to network hardware and can flash the bios independently. AFAIK it still works even if the bios chip is physically removed, there is no processor and no RAM installed.
It does work with no host CPU and RAM, so I guess it should always be able to flash the EEPROM.

I sure would feel better considering the number of ME bugs coming out recently. Let's put a totally closed and non-auditable component built-in into every processor, that runs even when the computer is turned off, has independent network access capabilities and runs on a higher privilege level than any other component, what a great idea...
+1

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I guess all that bit ching we did about SM never releasing bios change logs with these updates finally fell on ears that worked!
Either that or they got tired of answering all those emails :rolleyes:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Dang, this time a critical fix in in the mix, even if it doesn't affect me now, so I guess I need to update this as well.

Well I applied the update, it was smooth as always. The system rebooted a few times like normal. ESXi just booted up, no errors. FreeNAS 11.1 is up and running again. Overall it took me about 20 minutes to download, install, upgrade, and reboot everything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Intel doesn't have microcode updates for Meltdown. They do have some that allow for compilers to mitigate Spectre, but the release date seems too early for that.

joeschmuck

Old Man

B166ER

Explorer
Just wanted to update from R2.0b but i can't boot FreeDOS from USB anymore. I had problems in the past but was somehow able to boot from USB but now all i get is a blank screen. Looks like i have to get an IPMI license after all. I'm done with Supermicro and their bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.