FYI: Supermicro X10SL7-F BIOS and IPMI firmware changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Since Supermicro does not post change notices for their BIOS and IPMI firmware upgrades, I emailed Tech Support. Here is the reply:

"Here is the change for BIOS after version 1.1:

1. Haswell Refresh supported.
2. Updated ME firmware to 3.0.5.128.
3. Updated Intel RC 1.0.0.
4. Kernel Code Update to HashWell Refresh 4.6.5.4_VEB_1ARXN004.
5. Fixed TXT test fail issue.(PBID 52311)
6. Correct BIOS setup item "Power Button Function" behavior
7. Change BIOS revision to 2.0

1. Kernel Code updated to 4.6.5.3_VEB_1AQQO021.
2. Added Intel released new microcode for Haswell CPU. {Stepping :306C3 Haswell C0,Revision:17}
3. Updated Intel RC 1.6.2.
4. Fixed SMBIOS TYPE 1 UUID can't be changed after use EEUPDATE to update onboard LAN1 EEPROM issue.
5. Fixed SUM OOB SMBIOS modification function not work properly problem.
6. Improved OOB function flow. {Funciton implement.}
7. Fixed system hanging with Xeon PHI GPU card issue.
8. Fixed system hanging with HighPoint Rocket RAID 2760&2740 storage controller card issue.
9. Fixed SERR/PERR log under SMBIOS type 15 abnormal issue.
10. Fixed there is garbage in SMBIOS type 2 version issue.
11. Fixed Location in Chassis could not change by using AMI SMBIOS utility.
12. Supported Enable/Disable Clock Spread Spectrum function for Denlow platforms with SPS ME.{Funciton implement.}
13. Patched OA3 working abnormally when flashing BIOS from IPMI and preserve NVRAM.
14. Fixed SLP2 feature not working.
15. Fixed VGA and storage card exchange no boot or device detect issue.
16. Fix Adaptec 71605 RAID card can't work issue.
17. Fixed SMBIOS data still preserve after we flash BIOS without /R command.
18. Disable the SMBIOS data write once function.{Funciton improve.}
19. Fixed [ SUM ] File is not available for download.
20. Fixed Enable/Disable the Clock Spread Spectrum option under BIOS setup menu, it can not change the Clock settings.
21. Implement the SMBIOS Type 41 information.{Funciton implement.}
22. Implement InBand SMI E7h support.{Funciton implement.}
23. Change BIOS revision to 1.1a

Here is the IPMI change after 1.23:

1. Fixed - CTLM Memory Throttling Not Working
2. Fixed - There should not be more than one IPMI console redirection allowed from IPMI webgui.
3. Fixed - Power Fail Email Alert Does Not Have Event Description to Mention Power Fail Event
4. Fixed - when updating BIOS through IPMI WEB GUI, user is still able to browse through other IPMI tabs. BIOS Update status is lost afterwards
5. Fixed - the password of AD user can't be more than 19 characters.
6. Fixed - Some SMCIPMITool Commands Not Working
7. Fixed - Active directory authentication does not work with User Domain Name
8. Fixed - firefox showed Cert error "sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial" when using https.
9. Fixed - the bridge command through RMCP 1.5 can't work.
10. Fixed - Web GUI Console Redirection Crashed for Mac OS with Firefox and Safari Web Browser
11. Fixed - bmc cold reboot will let system reboot (Has already fixed at IPMI 1.24)
12. New feature : add VM ISO/IMA oem commands
13. Fixed - SUM 1.3.0 ] ChangeBMCcfg fail.
14. Fixed - IPMI web GUI sensor readings does not change to upper non-recoverable
15. Fixed - OEM SEL record while running IPMI on/off
16. Fixed - IPMI Firmware v1.35 has major issues
17. Fixed - 1.33 IPMI in Internet Explorer 8 has error
18. IPMI Web GUI-Some Tags don't have Japanese transaction.
19. IPMI Login page has some issues when using IE
20. Firmware v1.31 not supports "Help" Screen under BIOS Update field.
21. - FAN speed control is not working and always is Full speed
- FANA and FANB are full speed in Heavy I/O mode
- IPMI fan mode doesn't response
- Fan PWM measurement fail
- Fan PWM Test Fail
22. Fixed - CPU overheats and shuts down the system when system is in BIOS setup
23. "IP Access Control" cannot back to default setting after BMC load factory default
24. Cannot reload "Web Session", "FAN Mode" and "IP Access Control" item after reload IPMI Configuration
25. CTLM Memory Throttling Not Working
26. OOB server Asset management -DDNS
27. Fixed - The date format are different.
28. IPMI Web GUI shows incorrect IPMI Share LAN link status when the cable is unplugged.
(1)the network connectivity under all lan modes.
(2)switch lan mode,e.g. switch the failover mode to share or dedicated mode.
29. SMC RAKP
30. Add bios revision when doing bios update through web and SMCIPMItool
31. Enhance the polling time for VBAT sensor to make it more durable
32. - Add firmware recovery
- Firmware upgrade through http and https
- Firmware upgrade though dos/windows/linux utilities.
33. Support SUM to upgrade firmware.
34. The security holes about implementing the numerous unsafe string function through web interface
Please refer to the following information on CVE web site
CVE-2013-3623,CVE-2013-3622,CVE-2013-3621,CVE-2013-3623
35. The fan fail pin will be set output high at BMC initialization."

They also advised against performing any updates in the absence of any problems with the current BIOS and IPMI firmware versions.

They had no comment to make on Kingston Tech Support's response to my NewEgg review, in which they (Kingston) stated that if I wanted to add another 16GB of RAM to my system, I could move the Kingston RAM to the second pair of slots and install Hynix RAM in the first pair of slots.

areis

Dabbler
My SuperMicro X10SLM-F (BIOS Version : 1.1b) requires a product key to update the BIOS through the IPMI. How do you obtain a product key? I have already successfully updated the IPMI to 1.35

DJABE

Contributor
Areis, I had the same question with SM, and they told me that product key is not available for private end users, but only for b2b companies with 50+ pieces of a single SM product!
I'm running 1.1a BIOS with the mobo same as yours, but still looking for a way to upgrade (thou I haven't really noticed any bugs yet)...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Areis, I had the same question with SM, and they told me that product key is not available for private end users, but only for b2b companies with 50+ pieces of a single SM product!
I'm running 1.1a BIOS with the mobo same as yours, but still looking for a way to upgrade (thou I haven't really noticed any bugs yet)...

Grab a monitor and keyboard, plug them in. No other solution is available.

Apparently, they left a loophole open, see below.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Errh... You can update the bios remote. Only not directly from ipmi interface...

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Errh... You can update the bios remote. Only not directly from ipmi interface...

If not through IPMI, then how?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Use remote console from ipmi management. Mount some iso bootable and a usb stick with bios.

Point is you dont need local monitor+ keyboard for it :)

Weeblie

Cadet
Don't try to do this without physical access to the machine, though. You have to clear CMOS afterwards or the board might not boot.

andromeda

Dabbler
How long should you wait before removing the jumper ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How long should you wait before removing the jumper ?

Thanks.

No wait is necessary prior to removal. Just make sure the flashing process is complete and the computer has been shut down.

pal.carlsen

Cadet
Fyi. You can get your hands on a serial directly from Supermicro.
http://www.supermicro.com/solutions/SMS_SUM.cfm
Supply them with your BMC mac address, product type and Serial number as well as your reseller name and you will receive a link to download SUM software as well as a serial you can use to update BIOS over IPMI.

I do not think supermicro validates these data very carefully, but I guess they keep a record over mac addresses and serials to make sure some serials are not used everywhere. Why on earth they would protect this feature with a serial is another question all together.

Got my serial the other day and have successfully updated my bios over IPMI on my X10SL7-F. Felt like it after the latest IPMI security breach :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
Swee-eet!! :)

Appreciate the tip!! Thanx.

Nick Howard

Contributor
I've also just emailed SM and been given the credentials to get the SUM. I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

Last edited:

Nick Howard

Contributor
I successfully updated both the Bios and Firmware through IMPI, although I did have to clear the CMOS after the bios upgrade to enable me to boot. It's been running a couple of days now and everything seems stable anyway. Bios version is at 2.00 and the firmware version is at 01.42.

xnaron

Explorer
I'm about to order a X10SL7-f from newegg. I am a bit concerned about making the right cpu choice. I want to use an E3-1231V3 but I am worried the board won't support it out of box without a bios update. It looks a little painful and costly due to the fact (I'm assuming) that I'll need to get of a cpu that does work (cheap pentium) to do the update.

Are these boards coming with a bios version that supports E3-1231V3? If not what is a safe choice in the E3-1200 line?
thanks,

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Mine shipped with BIOS version 2.0 on the board I ordered a month ago.

Nick Howard

Contributor
I'm about to order a X10SL7-f from newegg. I am a bit concerned about making the right cpu choice. I want to use an E3-1231V3 but I am worried the board won't support it out of box without a bios update. It looks a little painful and coupled with the fact (I'm assuming) that I'll need to get of a cpu that does work (cheap pentium) to do the update.

Are these boards coming with a bios version that supports E3-1231V3? If not what is a safe choice in the E3-1200 line?
thanks,

Any E3-1200 will work without the need to update the firmware or bios.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any E3-1200 will work without the need to update the firmware or bios.

You sure about the Haswell Refresh ones? The desktop processors do need the 2.0 BIOS, so what you're saying comes as a surprise.

Nick Howard

Contributor
You sure about the Haswell Refresh ones? The desktop processors do need the 2.0 BIOS, so what you're saying comes as a surprise.

Forgot about the refresh ones, you're correct they do need to be running V 2.0. You'd have thought most boards will be shipping with it now, but it's not that much of a headache to do it through the IPMI. Once I'd contacted them via the SUM request page, I'd got a response and a product key emailed the following day.

Status
Not open for further replies.