FYI: Supermicro X10SL7-F BIOS and IPMI firmware changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnaron

Explorer
Forgot about the refresh ones, you're correct they do need to be running V 2.0. You'd have thought most boards will be shipping with it now, but it's not that much of a headache to do it through the IPMI. Once I'd contacted them via the SUM request page, I'd got a response and a product key emailed the following day.

Hopefully I am lucky enough to get one with 2.0. Do I need to run a supported CPU to do a bios upgrade through IPMI or will it function without a cpu installed (I am guessing it needs a cpu)? I hope I don't need to go out an buy a cheap pentium. :(

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The IPMI upgrade works with Haswell refresh CPUs (and presumably without one installed, or RAM for that matter).
You need to buy a code from Supermicro or talk them into giving you one, though.

xnaron

Explorer
The IPMI upgrade works with Haswell refresh CPUs (and presumably without one installed, or RAM for that matter).
You need to buy a code from Supermicro or talk them into giving you one, though.

Worst case if I can't get a code from them is it possible to update the bios through another method if I have a working CPU installed? It looks like there is a way from what is detailed earlier in the thread. The details are a little fuzzy. I will need to do some research. Thanks.

Edit: looking at the readme in the bios file it looks like I just boot to DOS and run the ami.bat file with the BIOSname.### as the parameter.

Last edited:

xnaron

Explorer
You can request to download the software here http://www.supermicro.nl/products/nfo/SMS_SUM.cfm although note that you need to complete the request entering a company registered email address.

Thanks...I need to wait for the board to get here to get the BMC

required info on their form:

* Your Supermicro Sales contact
* Your Motherboard/System model
* One BMC/IPMI MAC address (if requesting for SUM)

Did anyone supply a sales contact? Or is this the vendor... eg: newegg

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Nick Howard

Contributor
Thanks...I need to wait for the board to get here to get the BMC

required info on their form:

* Your Supermicro Sales contact
* Your Motherboard/System model
* One BMC/IPMI MAC address (if requesting for SUM)

Did anyone supply a sales contact? Or is this the vendor... eg: newegg

I just put the vendor.

erwinvr

Contributor
There is a correct way to update the firmware, bios and ipmi ? First wich one? Second?
There 3 to update right?
At this moment i have g3220 and i what to update to a xeon or i3.

I have the x10slm-f with this:
Firmware Revision : 01.24
Firmware Build Time : 2013-11-29
BIOS Version : 1.1b
BIOS Build Time : 11/01/2013

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ME firmware is flashed along with the BIOS, if the appropriate jumpers are set to enable this. Therefore, it requires physical access.

IPMI or BIOS first should be irrelevant.

erwinvr

Contributor
So, if i have physical access, enable the jumper, update bios? thats all?
I dont have to update the ipmi later?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, if i have physical access, enable the jumper, update bios? thats all?
I dont have to update the ipmi later?

Thanks!

IPMI is separate. Management Engine is flashed with the BIOS.

Phlogi

Dabbler
I recently updated the BIOS and Firmware on my X10SLM-F:

Firmware Revision : 03.27
Firmware Build Time : 01/18/2016
BIOS Version : 3.0a BIOS Build Time : 12/21/2015
Redfish Version : 1.0.0 (I can't remember the original versions, but pretty old firmware 2.X, BIOS from 2014).

Now I use ipmi tool (and zabbix) to log the temperatures of CPU, Bridge, RAM, FAN speed etc. However since the upgrade I can only read the CPU temperature. This is also true when I access the IPMI website of the mainboard directly:

eJBLOLH.png

Any ideas? Would you try to downgrade? If so, only the firmware or both (BIOS) again?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I recently updated the BIOS and Firmware on my X10SLM-F:

Firmware Revision : 03.27
Firmware Build Time : 01/18/2016
BIOS Version : 3.0a BIOS Build Time : 12/21/2015
Redfish Version : 1.0.0 (I can't remember the original versions, but pretty old firmware 2.X, BIOS from 2014).

Now I use ipmi tool (and zabbix) to log the temperatures of CPU, Bridge, RAM, FAN speed etc. However since the upgrade I can only read the CPU temperature. This is also true when I access the IPMI website of the mainboard directly:

eJBLOLH.png

Any ideas? Would you try to downgrade? If so, only the firmware or both (BIOS) again?

Check the X10 FAQ linked in my sig. There's a procedure there that might help.

FWIW, my latest update to the newest firmware/IPMI/ME has left me with IPMI saying "undefined" in many places of the webGUI. I'm planning to reboot the BMC and restore it to factory settings. If that doesn't help, I'll have to reflash everything.

Phlogi

Dabbler
Check the X10 FAQ linked in my sig. There's a procedure there that might help.

FWIW, my latest update to the newest firmware/IPMI/ME has left me with IPMI saying "undefined" in many places of the webGUI. I'm planning to reboot the BMC and restore it to factory settings. If that doesn't help, I'll have to reflash everything.
Thanks, it was enough to simply reset the IPMI settings. Now everything is back!

Thanks, it was enough to simply reset the IPMI settings. Now everything is back!

I have the same board and the same problem. I was looking for reset, so I reloaded IPMI 10 times all to no avail. Then it dawned on me to go into maintenance, factory default, then restore to go to factory defaults. Well what do you know that worked, all sensors are back and working, so thank you. But what I find odd is that after restoring to factory defaults for IPMI it still kept the new version of the firmware. It reads
Redfish Version : 1.0.0

I thought it would have went back to the version that shipped with the board and not kept the Redfish version. Im just glad it's all back. So thank you Ericloewe and Phlogi for your help.

styno

Patron
'Factory defaults' reverts you back to the default settings that shipped with that version of the firmware, not the firmware itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.