Curses based user and group management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
I found the user and group management in the FreeNAS web GUI. I'm not looking to replace that. I'm concerned with users and groups in a FreeNAS jail. I found the command line tools for this but I find them tedious. I did not find in the FreeNAS documentation any mention of a curses based user and group management tool. I tried Google with different arrangements of "FreeNAS ncurses based group and user management," and I didn't recognize any of the results as being what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a curses based user and group management tool that works well in a FreeNAS jail?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I found the user and group management in the FreeNAS web GUI. I'm not looking to replace that. I'm concerned with users and groups in a FreeNAS jail. I found the command line tools for this but I find them tedious. I did not find in the FreeNAS documentation any mention of a curses based user and group management tool. I tried Google with different arrangements of "FreeNAS ncurses based group and user management," and I didn't recognize any of the results as being what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a curses based user and group management tool that works well in a FreeNAS jail?
Ignore FreeNAS when inside a jail. Inside the jail it's just freebsd.

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
I'm sorry, what on earth is a

It is a library of functions that manage an application's display on character-cell terminals (e.g., VT100). With it a programmer can develop programs that mimic those found in a graphics user interface. See attached image. I was thinking that such a program would be very useful in a SSH session to a FreeNAS jail for managing users and groups specific to that jail.

Attachments

• menuconfig.jpg
    menuconfig.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 477

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
You looking to manage a MineCraft Server?

This post is not about Minecraft, although I may have questions about the plugin in the future. This thread is about a few jails I have all with their own users and groups and that I am looking for an easier way than the command line to manage them.

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
Get with it old man... :p

I'm a Windows guy myself. I do software development for my company. But I know little of FreeBSD or any flavor of Unix. I decided to broaden my horizons and so bought a FreeNAS mini for home use and enjoy learning about it, consuming all sources of information, including the good people here in the FreeNAS forums.
I certainly didn't mean any disrespect for being 48 years of age and knowing little of FreeNAS. :)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm a Windows guy myself. I do software development for my company. But I know little of FreeBSD or any flavor of Unix. I decided to broaden my horizons and so bought a FreeNAS mini for home use and enjoy learning about it, consuming all sources of information, including the good people here in the FreeNAS forums.
I certainly didn't mean any disrespect for being 48 years of age and knowing little of FreeNAS. :)
Lol. You know iXSystems is the company behind FreeNAS? We know what the mini is. ;)

Seriously though, inside a jail, it's just freebsd. Use your favorite search engine and search for ncurses user admin or something and use those instructions/guides to get it running within your jail. FreeNAS has nothing to do with what's running inside the jail.

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
Lol. You know iXSystems is the company behind FreeNAS? We know what the mini is. ;)

I know the relationship, between iXSystems and FreeNAS. I did a lot of research, before I spent the $2000 for a well stacked FreeNAS mini.

Although I know little of Unix in comparison to the members of the FreeNAS forums, I still visited Unix in my occasional exploration of Linux distributions, over very many years, always tempted to make a commitment to such a platform. In those visits I came across many OS installations and other programs that utilized curses. This left me with the impression that curses is ubiquitous in the Unix related communities. So I made a mistake when I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about.

When I was so very specific, about my FreeNAS mini, I was not so much expecting those here would not know what I was talking about. It was quite the opposite. It was more like me providing my credentials and perhaps gain your favor. From my point of view I took a really bold move in that I spent so much money on a device that requires so much knowledge that I lack. I was hoping all would recognize that fact, without me being so self promoting in spelling it all out.

I really needed a friend, a good introduction to this community, with which I will likely spend a lot of time with, in the years to follow. I needed a friend to be willing to go a little beyond the norm and find me a tool to help me move more quickly through my early FreeNAS learning days.

I need a tool for a jail much like the functionality we all have in the FreeNAS web based admin console. So I chose cursus because it would have little more requirements than the SSH that I have learned to enable in every jail I create, not even needing additional software installed.

I'm really sorry for being the cause of everyone's negative feelings. I know it is not healthy, for a community like the FreeNAS forums.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There's no negative feelings here about this thread. ;)

If you want to use ncurses, you can. You just need to install it yourself in a jail. Just remember that inside a jail you're just using freebsd. So any searches you do for installation, ignore FreeNAS and use freebsd for reference

Status
Not open for further replies.