Auxiliary groups vs. groups

tfran1990

Patron
I may have over looked something, what is the difference between selecting a user, editing, then pressing the right arrow to move a group over to the right side.(Auxiliary groups) VS. going to groups then pressing the members button then moving the member over to the right side.

in the 11.1U7 guide on page 58(groups) there is an example, on the same guide page 61 it notes adding a user to an Auxiliary group.

for my windows share i have been going to the user, using the edit button and adding the group i want them to be in with the Auxiliary group selection.

The way i have been doing this is working, whats the actual difference?

i see Primary Group apart of the user config.

Primary Group- Unset Create a new primary group to access this menu. For security reasons, FreeBSD does not give a user su permissions if wheel is their primary group. To give a user su access, add them to the wheel group in Auxiliary groups.

Last edited:

tfran1990

Patron
I was looking at the documentation and saw in figure 4.1 at the bottom on the list(the list of groups)there is a members button. On my freenas that members button is not even there. Im thinking that maybe the picture for the documentation is outdated.

you can close thread.

D

dlavigne

There isn't a difference, either works as sometimes it's quicker to configure groups, sometimes you just want to add/edit a user.