Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Change GUI login User

Sivivatu

I'm pretty new to FreeNAS and I want to be able to login to the FreeNAS 11.2 UI using a user rather than the default root user. I have added a user to the wheel group (which I thought was the needed group) but no luck.

What settings do I need to change to allow for the different login user?
Thanks

Evertb1

FreeNAS Guru
What settings do I need to change to allow for the different login user?
AFAIK the only user allowed to login to the GUI is the root user. So no, you can't change that.

danb35

FreeNAS Wizard

Sivivatu

Thanks for answering this. Is this an improvement that would be worth adding? or Is it just me?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for answering this. Is this an improvement that would be worth adding? or Is it just me?
Just adding the ability to login with a different user does not add very much. But adding some kind of role based access control would be a great Enterprise feature. I think we are a long ways from that feature.

Just thought about if there are some news about this... So bad i can't change default user :( So for now anyone knows what is the user, and this is one step less to guess... If i can change user you should guess not just password...

Evertb1

FreeNAS Guru
In the world of Unix, Linux etc. root is the default name for the administrator or superuser. So what, that everybody knows the account name? On most log in screens the user name is out in the open but the password is not readable. And it can be very handy if you are working on the command line and SEE that you are logged in as root. Then you know that you need to be extra carefull before you do something you will be sorry for.

And let's say it would it possible to change that default name? Today you log in on your Linux or Windows desktop as Kartoff and the next time you login on your FreeNAS box as Kartoff and you forgot or did not realize that you have administrator privilages with that account. An accident waiting to happen I think. If I access the FreeNAS GUI it is to perform administrator tasks. I can't think of any other reason to be there and I don't care that everybody knows it's the root account. Good luck with getting my password.