Change GUI login User

Sivivatu

Dabbler
I'm pretty new to FreeNAS and I want to be able to login to the FreeNAS 11.2 UI using a user rather than the default root user. I have added a user to the wheel group (which I thought was the needed group) but no luck.

What settings do I need to change to allow for the different login user?
Thanks

Evertb1

Guru
What settings do I need to change to allow for the different login user?
AFAIK the only user allowed to login to the GUI is the root user. So no, you can't change that.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Sivivatu

Dabbler
Thanks for answering this. Is this an improvement that would be worth adding? or Is it just me?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for answering this. Is this an improvement that would be worth adding? or Is it just me?
Just adding the ability to login with a different user does not add very much. But adding some kind of role based access control would be a great Enterprise feature. I think we are a long ways from that feature.

Kartoff

Cadet
Just thought about if there are some news about this... So bad i can't change default user :( So for now anyone knows what is the user, and this is one step less to guess... If i can change user you should guess not just password...

Evertb1

Guru
In the world of Unix, Linux etc. root is the default name for the administrator or superuser. So what, that everybody knows the account name? On most log in screens the user name is out in the open but the password is not readable. And it can be very handy if you are working on the command line and SEE that you are logged in as root. Then you know that you need to be extra carefull before you do something you will be sorry for.

And let's say it would it possible to change that default name? Today you log in on your Linux or Windows desktop as Kartoff and the next time you login on your FreeNAS box as Kartoff and you forgot or did not realize that you have administrator privilages with that account. An accident waiting to happen I think. If I access the FreeNAS GUI it is to perform administrator tasks. I can't think of any other reason to be there and I don't care that everybody knows it's the root account. Good luck with getting my password.

Eddy de Jeu

Cadet
@Evertb1 Sure I understand that Root is the Linux Administrator user equivalent of Windows :)
What I do not understand is that I am able to create Users, I can give this user SSH access and SUDO priv.

That user. Is as mighty as the Root user. Also that user can logon as root by using sudo su.

Also Best practice is to use seprate accounts aside of your user account.
So Kartoff is user. But A_Kartoff is admin.
On that moment A_Kartoff is able to logon.

Also in small offices. with multpile users. and maybe admin users. I would like to able to monitor them in these systems.
Why should you use root and not able to check steps.

+1 for alternate WEBGUI users. if sudo then also able to logon to the webgui..

Evertb1

Guru
Also in small offices. with multpile users. and maybe admin users. I would like to able to monitor them in these systems.
I must admit that I have no clue what you mean. Could you explain your statement? For example what systems are you talking about? And what steps do you need to check and why do you need a FreeNAS webgui with multiple root acces for that?

Yorick

Wizard

Right, you want some accounting. Maybe even RBAC. Not unreasonable and, not currently implemented AFAIK.

2FA is coming in TrueNAS 12 though, that's a step in the right direction.

Evertb1

Guru
Right, you want some accounting. Maybe even RBAC. Not unreasonable and, not currently implemented AFAIK.

2FA is coming in TrueNAS 12 though, that's a step in the right direction.
As far as I know this is the FreeNAS part of the forum. TrueNAS targets another audience then FreeNAS. I can't think of many scenarios were RBAC for a "simple" FreeNAS server would be of any true value. And even 2FA is debatable in my opinion.

danb35

Hall of Famer
As far as I know this is the FreeNAS part of the forum.
But by 12, there will be no "FreeNAS"; there will only be different flavors of TrueNAS.
a "simple" FreeNAS server
There are many legitimate use cases for FreeNAS that would hardly qualify as "simple."

sretalla