Enable user to login to webui

rmccullough

Patron
Is there anything special required to allow a user to login to the webui? I created a user for myself. I can SSH into my FreeNAS server with this user, but I cannot seem to login to the webui with this user.

I am running 11.2-RC1.

rmccullough

Patron
Thanks for the response @dlavigne. Is it on the roadmap to change this?

kdragon75

Wizard
What?! You want to be able to delegate management!? You would never do that in an enterprise product.
*ducks*

D

dlavigne

At some point, but it is a big feature that requires a fair bit of code. Won't be until after 12.

kdragon75

Wizard
Pricing should be interesting. I would just be happy to not have to log in as the root to do ANYTHING. It just seems like a big XSS risk but I haven't looked that closely at the web code.

Snow

Patron

Dudleydogg

Explorer
Its what I see now you can add users its in Beta, I added a user and I can login with no password so it needs work. But it looks nice and good way to see more than one Freenas at a time.

Gucky

Dabbler
Hello,

I am new here. I switched from QNAP on a friend's recommendation and now I can't stop wondering. The basic functions I used are not here or simply do not work. But to the point, is there any way to add a user who will have access to the web interface? It's one of the most important features for me, and now I'm worried that I wasted my money on a PC with TrueNas and will have to buy a new QNAP anyway.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

chuck32

Guru
I'm worried that I wasted my money on a PC with TrueNas and will have to buy a new QNAP anyway.
Truenas is awesome ;) but that's subjective.

For the future: test on a spare system if you have any or setup a virtual environment to test before you buy. I used old, unsuitable hardware before I made purchases to see if truenas was for me.

As you will find out, adding users to the UI is not something you should really need (at least for a home environment) and apparently scale supports that feature.
The other user on my network does not need UI access nor do they care: the services I provide (VMs, docker containers, SMB need to be running and they do, so why should they need management access?). You cannot do anything useful in the UI anyway as an end user. For me (and I guess many others) it's purely for administration. But once setup, truenas just runs.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm worried that I wasted my money on a PC with TrueNas and will have to buy a new QNAP anyway.
Like Eric, I'm baffled as to how this could be such an important feature for you--to the point where you'd consider the money you apparently already spent on the hardware to be wasted. And also, if this was such an important feature, how you could not have expended any effort at all in research to be aware of the situation.

Gucky

Dabbler
On the contrary, it strikes me that none of you know why this might be important, but I will gladly explain it. There are several of us administrators who are in charge of managing several NAS. And the point is that, as the main administrator, I need to know which of my representatives did what and when on the NAS. And in the event that everyone connects under the same account, I don't know who did what and when from the logs. I think this is essential for managing any device. I think that even in vehicle maintenance or any other technology it is good to know what was done by whom and when.

Gucky

Dabbler
I admit that I should have paid more attention, but firstly, I was convinced by an acquaintance, and secondly, I never dreamed that it would not be possible to add another user to the web management of the device. I've tried a bunch of stuff but haven't tested adding users. I just didn't expect such a betrayal. Honestly, this is the first device where I encountered the impossibility of adding users to the web administration.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just didn't expect such a betrayal.
Strong word choice...
I need to know which of my representatives did what and when on the NAS
I don't think that point is lost on anyone, but it's of limited relevance in most people's estimation (limited != none):
  1. No admins should probably be fiddling around in the NAS on a routine basis (there's no manual maintenance)
  2. The implication of a hierarchy of admins raises all sorts of questions:
    1. Why do you have untrustworthy admins - if they're admins, surely they have at least some opening to wreak havoc without having things traced back to them?
    2. What's the actual risk? Deleting datasets? Tweaking the config to make everyone's day a little worse?
    3. What's the scenario really? Disgruntled employee? Gross incompetence?
    4. How critical would the machine really be? The more critical, the more judicious one must be with granting access before there's even any discussion of traceability.
  3. Tracing bad behavior to an individual is nice; not having to deal with the fallout of such behavior is much nicer.

Besides, there's always Scale if Core doesn't do what you want.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it strikes me that none of you know why this might be important
Then you should read more carefully. Nobody is denying value in this feature. But to describe it as "one of the most important features," such that money already spent on hardware would be "wasted," is just bizarre.

But, again, if it's important to you, it's in SCALE. It will probably never be in CORE. I believe someone from iX has said that RBAC will be in the next major release of SCALE, but I don't have a link handy to that statement.

Gucky

Dabbler
I see that we disagree here on NAS management. I have been managing various NAS for a long time, about 15 years, and I have my opinion on it.
Thank you all so much for your time and answers. It's good to meet a community where the discussion flows. The problem with the web environment is apparently unsolvable, and therefore, in agreement with the other administrators, I am closing the TrueNAS problem and returning to QNAP, because this is unusable for us = wasted money for a PC power supply 90+ board and RAM.

Thanks again and have a nice day,

Chucky Lee

LarsR

Guru
You can always try scale, where it is possible to let other users access the webui. It's just not possible with core.

Edit: On scale there's a user group called i believe buildin_adminstrators. Add the user you want to grant access to the gui to that group and it can login to the webui just fine.