root password login

gabsd

Dabbler
Iam relatively new to FreeNAS and not an IT professional. I installed FreeNAS 11.2 U5 and I am trying to configure user accounts and groups. I have 2 problems, which I think are related (but may not)

1- I can login into the GUI from my Mac laptop with the root password I set during installation. However, I cannot access shares as root. Basically when I do: Go-->Connect to Server-->192.xxx.x.xx (the IP address I get from the FreeNAS console) and try to login as root, it does not let me. From this same laptop, I can access shares as a user I created.

2- "Enable password login" is set to "Yes" for root. The FreeNAS user guide (pg 69) says: "for security reasons, password logins are disabled for the root account and changing this setting is highly discouraged". I can't remember if I changed this setting myself. In any case, if I change it back to "No", will I be able to ever log in the GUI from a browser, and be stuck forever?

Am I talking about 2 different things? In other words, "root password login" for the GUI to administering the system, "root login to access shares", are they different things? When I enable or disable root password login in the root account, what am I doing?

Sorry if this a very noob questions. Thanks everybody for any help!!

F!$hp0nd

Dabbler
Enabling the Yes option for root only means allowing access via ssh (command line login) via a password. Normally you should always set it to allow ssh logins via ssh keys. To login via the SMB/CIFS based shares you need to create another user and then setup a share and give access to that user to that share you set up.

Ideally you should never login to a windows share (SMB) as root. It is always best to create a specific user and a group for the share you are trying to share out.

Basically it goes like this:

zpool = ZFSTank (you can not share this out directly, you need to create a datastore under it specifically setup for sharing.
datastore = Testshare
share type = windows share

Then set the user and group of the person you want to login with (not root). Set it recursively if setting up a new datastore for the first time.

Restart SMB service (make sure slider bar is activated under services).

Then you can map the share (datastore you are trying to connect to).

Hope this helps.

F!$hp0nd

gabsd

Dabbler
Enabling the Yes option for root only means allowing access via ssh (command line login) via a password. Normally you should always set it to allow ssh logins via ssh keys. To login via the SMB/CIFS based shares you need to create another user and then setup a share and give access to that user to that share you set up.

Ideally you should never login to a windows share (SMB) as root. It is always best to create a specific user and a group for the share you are trying to share out.

Basically it goes like this:

zpool = ZFSTank (you can not share this out directly, you need to create a datastore under it specifically setup for sharing.
datastore = Testshare
share type = windows share

Then set the user and group of the person you want to login with (not root). Set it recursively if setting up a new datastore for the first time.

Restart SMB service (make sure slider bar is activated under services).

Then you can map the share (datastore you are trying to connect to).

Hope this helps.

F!$hp0nd
It does help, thanks!